Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Aug 17, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Trip in January - any experiences?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, aside from my introduction. I have been to WDW many times as a kid, and have always visited during the Easter or Summer holidays. This time round I'm planning a trip for January 2018 with my partner (flights and car are booked, so it's definitely going ahead!) Does anyone have experience of visiting WDW in January that they could perhaps share? The main reason I booked for the Winter is to avoid crowds and to keep costs down.

Thanks,
Ricky
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

We went 21st Jan for 2 weeks this year. It was meant to be the quietest time. We just did the Disney parks. MK was far too busy for us even then (not sure how it compared to the peak times - long queues for pretty much anything you didn't have a fast pass for), but the rest of the parks were great. Blizzard Beach was the only Disney water park open, but it was lovely and quiet and we found it warm enough for swimming. We had one rainy day and the rest of the time was shorts and T-shirts. (Actually, we had a big storm one evening when we were in the hotel. We eventually realised from the news channel that we were under a tornado warning and had been for a while!) I'd definitely go again at that time.
Old 17 Aug 17, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We were out January to March his year apart from that awful storm on 22jan we had only 2cold days one was absolutely freezing and the othe DH was still in shorts and a tee shirt We didn't do Disney but the rest of the parks were all great and no long lines
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

We went January 2013 and 2016, weather can be chilly 6 degrees or warm 29 degrees! We love it because its slightly quieter, cooler, planes are half empty. We go in Jan 2018 to Universal so hoping its the same then!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We have been in January a few times. We love how quiet the parks are; the weather tends to be lovely (you can get a cold snap, but generally it's like a pleasant UK summer day).

Disney can be annoying on marathon weekend, particularly the Sunday when road closures can impact your ability to get around. Saturday too but to a much smaller extent.

ETA this was in 2011, 2015, 2017.
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
We went January 2013 and 2016, weather can be chilly 6 degrees or warm 29 degrees! We love it because its slightly quieter, cooler, planes are half empty. We go in Jan 2018 to Universal so hoping its the same then!
Id forgotten the empty planes

Final thought is that we love having a sunny holiday to look forward to, in that post Xmas gloom period.
Old 17 Aug 17, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Yeah another good reason to go in January! Love going away after Christmas!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for sharing guys. It's interesting to hear how variable the weather can be; I shall pack a few pairs of jeans and some hoodies! At least it's likely we'll have some warm weather to visit Blizzard Beach. I personally prefer low-20s weather to the kind of heat and humidity you get in the summer (running for the air-con at every available opportunity)!

Gryff - hope you're having a great time!
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

We went for a week in January this year. The evenings were chilly and one was very cold but the daytime was mostly nice and sunny without being mega hot. Nothing was too busy either.
Old 18 Aug 17, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Jendita
Excited about Disney

We went January 2015 - it was a bit too chilly for us, the hottest it got was 21C so not really hot enough for any pool days!