Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
If you booked these flights direct from gatwick to Mco you would have been looking at about £1000 each, so the faff of getting the train to Heathrow, then bus to gatwick has saved us about £500 per person and there are 7 of us going so it's an absolute no brainer.
In response to the op, when you catch the Heathrow express from Paddington to gatwick they scan the barcode on the ticket before you board the train. Could this be how British Airways know if you have caught the train or not?
We're flying on Monday from LGW (direct BA flights) and paid £600pp, £1000 seems steep (depending on when you booked - we booked last Sept).

Hope it goes ok for you all.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by nickdg View Post
Is it just me or is everyone totally confused to why you are going anywhere near Cardiff?

You don't live there, you're not flying from there... but you're crossing the width of the UK to meet up and then set of back across the width of the UK at silly O'clock to make it back to your start point to get on the plane? !?

Have I missed something. I'm genuinely curious why you're doing this.

I hope this doesn't come across negative. just confused yet curious ;-)

Nick
I read this whole thread to the end and then came back to quote this because I still have NO IDEA why someone would do this route

I'm from Cardiff - where can I find some kind of link to what the heck this package is to see if it's beneficial for me?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
d&m
Gone all Goofy

I have rang great western trains today and ba to sort out the train. As the time on my train ticket is 5.15am,on the time table for the train there are on trains leaving at 5.15am the first train is 5.50am. The person I spoke to said I should ring ba to sort this out. While on the phone I asked him if I don’t take the train is there away ba would know if I missed this leg on my trip. He said no as there is no one from ba there plus you only scan the ticket for there benefits. So I rang ba expected that there are no trains,at 5.15 also saying if I made my own way to Gatwick would there be any problems on get on the flight. And after 40 minutes of being on the phone he said no all will be good and apologied for the mess up with the train.

Edited at 02:30 PM.
d&m is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I remember reading this thread ages ago...I hope everyone has no problems and the glitch works in your favour. Nice to know you don’t need to get up to Cardiff. Hope you have a fab holiday and everything is hassle free for you 😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

I'm ten minutes from Cardiff, how does one get these flights?
Old 16 Jul 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Make sure you let us know how you get off!
I'm from South Wales so I will get the train to Heathrow and then I paid 60 quid for the national express to gatwick.
Not just a massive saving on flights but also saves a 3 hour drive each way , car parking and petrol for 2 cars.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I assumed this route would be £2-300pp given the legs and changing in London. Seems a lot of time / effort for £500pp but good luck to those traveling - hope it goes without a hitch 👍🏻

We've paid £600pp direct from LGW and I personally wouldn't want to try this route for £100pp saving (plus additional time etc to achieve).
Is that to MCO? That’s a cracking deal for school holidays, we saw nothing near that cheap LGW to MCO.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by SpectroMagical View Post
I read this whole thread to the end and then came back to quote this because I still have NO IDEA why someone would do this route

I'm from Cardiff - where can I find some kind of link to what the heck this package is to see if it's beneficial for me?
There was a BA fare that came out end of August/ beginning of September which made price around £450 pp using the route. It was a great deal at the time for basically direct flights if you were able to drop the bus or train section. A few people took the gamble or others who lived near Cardiff took advantage of a great deal.
Even with the train it’s still a good idea as my best journey was actually from Cardiff but needed two flight stops. It came in at £400 in school holidays so worth the stops. The first flight to Amsterdam was the same as the journey to UK airport and we had no parking fees to worry about!
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
There was a BA fare that came out end of August/ beginning of September which made price around £450 pp using the route. It was a great deal at the time for basically direct flights if you were able to drop the bus or train section. A few people took the gamble or others who lived near Cardiff took advantage of a great deal.
I'm still so confused by this bizarre route but thank you for clarifying
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SpectroMagical View Post
I'm still so confused by this bizarre route but thank you for clarifying
Hi, the route is bizarre for most of us...I expect it was designed to encourage people from South Wales to use Gatwick instead of other airports. Doing this route has saved the McFluff Clan just under 2k.

The cost of a hotel room and train to Cardiff are only about £160 for the whole family. (Lots of families travel down to London or Manchester the night before flying) We'll have a car stashed in Heathrow to transfer over to Gatwick valet parking for our outbound flight to MCO. On the way back we will simply pick up the car in Gatwick and drive home.

This combined with getting the DDP for free and a few other savings on car hire etc. have knocked about 3.5k from this years trip. That's a lot of cocktails!

Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List