Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went in February this year and it was perfect, both crowd-wise and weather-wise. It was warm enough for shorts and t-shirts but without the awful humidity. We were able to get several same-day FPs at all parks after using our first 3 (even headliners). We only had one day where it rained and that was only very briefly. It was chilly in the evenings but not so much that you needed anything more than a long-sleeved top and trousers/jeans.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve done both February and May half term weeks. Our May/June trip it was glorious but hotter than average for that time of year. It was very dry compared to ‘full summer’ but also much less humid. It was also busy but as I’m used to August and Easter and Christmas there not busier. I loved it. Our February trip we got great weather for that time of year. Hoodies early and late but shorts and T shirts all day. We had two properly hot days out of 10 where it was a joy to swim but I wouldn’t have ventured into the pool for the other 8. There was a BH and marathon weekend which was mega busy that trip. If park touring is your focus then I’d say February. Warm enough to be really pleasant but cool enough to get loads done without needing a break. Parks closed early though. May was better (drier and less humid than August), but got so hot we had to take breaks. We could also swim until late at night though which was great. So I’m torn and don’t think I had typical seasonal weather either trip. If heat and swimming matters a lot to you though I’d say May as that’s not guaranteed in February. I’ve been in March into April twice where we had colder and wetter weather than the February we went so I think it’s a bit of a lottery.
Old 11 Aug 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

I'm so torn. my kids love the water parks so may be May would be better. I can't do the week before whitsun which is annoying. It would have to be whitsun and then the following week.

other option is last 2 week's of August? I've been watching wait times this week and they don't seem any worse than when we've been in October.
GEMTREACLE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by GEMTREACLE View Post
I'm so torn. my kids love the water parks so may be May would be better. I can't do the week before whitsun which is annoying. It would have to be whitsun and then the following week.

other option is last 2 week's of August? I've been watching wait times this week and they don't seem any worse than when we've been in October.
The American summer school hols are mid-June to mid-August, so the latter part of august gets much quieter and will be similar to september/october, but it will be VERY hot and humid. If water parks are important, then May (or August) could be better over Feb. That said, it is quite common to have temps of 22-24c in Feb - a good summer day here - and the water parks will be quieter in Feb, as it is too cold for the locals to use them :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MikeyUK View Post
The American summer school hols are mid-June to mid-August, so the latter part of august gets much quieter and will be similar to september/october, but it will be VERY hot and humid. If water parks are important, then May (or August) could be better over Feb. That said, it is quite common to have temps of 22-24c in Feb - a good summer day here - and the water parks will be quieter in Feb, as it is too cold for the locals to use them :-)
I had decided last 2 week's of August but now I'm.not sure.lol.
GEMTREACLE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Were off in February
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We love feb too, great leaving the uk for some florida warmth!
Old 18 Aug 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by GEMTREACLE View Post
I had decided last 2 week's of August but now I'm.not sure.lol.
haha. Hopefully this will help further...

Looking at a crowd calendar for wdw 2019 - late august is considerably quieter than end of May into June. In fact late August into early September is amongst the quietest times of the year. February is generally quiet (similar to early September) but 16th to 22nd (that sounds about like our half term week) is a public holiday week and will be busy - as busy as late May according to the crowd calendar.

So late August doesn't look too bad really - at least everything will be open and it will be hot for the waterparks. Also, Mickey & Minnies runaway train at DHS and the gondolas may possibly be open by August

The only downside is if heat and humidity bother you? I have been in June, July and Early September, and worked there for a year, many years ago. Early/mid June through to Mid/late September is hot and very humid, which does get a bit intense if you are outdoors watching shows and parades - it depends on everyone's heat tolerance. In humidity I can perspire like a melting iceberg and now I would try to avoid that time of the year. That said, everything indoors is well airconned isn't it.

Last year we went very late September into early October - we usually go at this time when the heat/humidity is usually getting much more tolerable. However, they were having much hotter/humid weather than normal for the time of the year (that's what caused the mega hurricane 2 weeks before we arrived) and the weather was more like July

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MikeyUK View Post
haha. Hopefully this will help further...

Looking at a crowd calendar for wdw 2019 - late august is considerably quieter than end of May into June. In fact late August into early September is amongst the quietest times of the year. February is generally quiet (similar to early September) but 16th to 22nd (that sounds about like our half term week) is a public holiday week and will be busy - as busy as late May according to the crowd calendar.

So late August doesn't look too bad really - at least everything will be open and it will be hot for the waterparks. Also, Mickey & Minnies runaway train at DHS and the gondolas may possibly be open by August

The only downside is if heat and humidity bother you? I have been in June, July and Early September, and worked there for a year, many years ago. Early/mid June through to Mid/late September is hot and very humid, which does get a bit intense if you are outdoors watching shows and parades - it depends on everyone's heat tolerance. In humidity I can perspire like a melting iceberg and now I would try to avoid that time of the year. That said, everything indoors is well airconned isn't it.

Last year we went very late September into early October - we usually go at this time when the heat/humidity is usually getting much more tolerable. However, they were having much hotter/humid weather than normal for the time of the year (that's what caused the mega hurricane 2 weeks before we arrived) and the weather was more like July
it's so hard as we have to factor a half term in. we don't want to do Oct next year incase star wars open and it'll be manic. also if we go august we not tied to when we can go so much. the kids may miss couple days of school. would be nice to try diff time of year.
the only thing with Aug is the heat. it does scare me a little as my kids can be moany lol . but like you say all the water parks open.
also worry the price will be too much for flights and hubby will then say no!
decisions! 🤔🤔
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

August is also hurricanes and thunderstorms. Both interfere with airline travel. My kids had the last week of February (week after President's Day) for vacation and after the weekend, it was always pretty quiet. I loved landing in the warmth after leaving the freezing northeast. Not fun if you arrive back in a snowstorm though.

End of May has grad weeks so there may be a lot of school trips (older teens, no parents).

I personally think the weather is much better in February than either May-June or August but I hate the horrible heat.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List