Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Aug 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DYNAMO
Earning More Ears

DIY or Travel Agent ?

Hi We're looking at doing a fly/drive next year and staying in a villa near to Disney. Have had a couple of quotes from travel companies but the cheapest is around £700 more to book through them than if I do it myself.

Is the extra cost worth it for peace of mind or do people book their own flights and villas? I know I'll have to pay the flights in full if I book myself but £700 more seems a lot.

Its likely we'll only be doing the Disney and Universal parks so looking at a villa near to Disney.

Also in two minds about either a few nights or a week onsite at Disney and then a week in a villa to relax whilst we do Universal.
DYNAMO is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I used to think it provided peace of mind but it doesn't really when you think about it. Chances are your travel agent is separate from you airline and rental car provider. If either party goes bust it will impact on your holiday. If you read through recent posts on here travel agents just add another layer to go through to get problems resolved should they arise and even seem to create problems when none existed. I say save your pennies and do it your self and just makes sure you have good robust travel insurance that you should make sure you have even when booking through an agent.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

What peace of mind do you get from a travel agent ?

I have used a travel,agent for certain parts of a trip but only if they are cheaper or have access to something I don’t.

Booking DIY is no more risky as long as you book with a credit card. Who do you trust more with your holiday yourself or someone who does not know you and has little interest in anything other than commission ?

It amazes me that some people on here think DIY is a big deal, it isn’t you need to book some flights, a car, some accommodation and some tickets not much different from ordering a pizza online so what would you pay £700 for exactly ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DYNAMO
Earning More Ears

Hi
Thanks for replies. I agree and for the past couple of years have sorted out holidays to Europe myself. Four years ago I booked Disney on site through a travel agent as they beat the price I could get myself but that seems to be a thing of the past.

Toying with the idea now of a week on site and a week at a villa so will probably just book the flights now so I know that parts done. Taking grandkids this time so thinking they'll like the staying on site but the rest of us prefer the peace of the villa!
DYNAMO is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have been 9 times now and always done diy with no,issues whatsoever
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFamily
Imagineer

I agree with much of the above, the only reason I would use a TA is if it were cheaper overall. Every time I look at a holiday company (VH, TC etc) I just can't get over how much more expensive they are than booking it separately myself.
2001 - Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 - Old Key West Resort 2007 - Sequoia Lodge (DLRP) 2008 - Santa Fe (DLRP) 2010 - Mickeys Sunrise Villa (Sunrise Lakes Dibb Villa) 2011 - Hotel New York (DLRP) 2013 - Orlando Primrose Villa (Lindfields Dibb Villa)
DisneyFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DYNAMO View Post
Hi
Thanks for replies. I agree and for the past couple of years have sorted out holidays to Europe myself. Four years ago I booked Disney on site through a travel agent as they beat the price I could get myself but that seems to be a thing of the past.

Toying with the idea now of a week on site and a week at a villa so will probably just book the flights now so I know that parts done. Taking grandkids this time so thinking they'll like the staying on site but the rest of us prefer the peace of the villa!

Good for you just remeber to book the onsite for the first part of the holiday as the Disney tickets will be valid from the first Day on site not when you arrive. Makes sense anyway as EMH works better with jet lag at the start
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DYNAMO
Earning More Ears

Sounds like that's what I'm going to do then. Just torn with whether to split it and do one week on site at moderate or deluxe and one week at villa. This time we're taking 3 and 5 year old grandkids and don't want to be crammed into the Disney rooms for the full two weeks. Was going to book just a villa but will miss the easiness of the bands, early entry into parks etc. Have seen some nice villas on this site so will be considering them.
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

I like the ease of a villa with younger kids. Lets you have somewhere to sit out when they are asleep and the novelty of the pool usually is the highlight of my kids holiday tbh especially when they were/are that age.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DYNAMO
Earning More Ears

Yeah I agree. We did the villa for two weeks when we went when our kids were young and really enjoyed it.

We're looking at spending three days at Universal plus the obligatory shopping trips so deciding on whether we need two cars. Don't think a 7 seater will have enough room for all the cases as there's going to be 4 adults, a teenager and the two young ones. Anyone have any recommendations for what size cars?

Thinking about possibility of using Disney transport from airport for first week and then hire the cars after first week?