Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Aug 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
westtra
I want to go now!

I looked at both for this year and ended up with edinburgh/gatwick/Orlando with BA as £1000 cheaper than abz/ins flying on 1st oct.

Other option was abz/dublin/Orlando but didn’t fancy getting to hotel 10pm ish. This route was £200 dearer than edi route.

Edit to add

Did look at abz to ams but more expensive too.

Edited at 10:55 PM.
westtra is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loopylaura View Post
We've flown Inverness/Heathrow/Orlando with BA. Flew down to Heathrow, overnight in the Sofitel and then a direct flight out to Orlando. Great flight and as we usually had to travel down day before and stay over if going from Glasgow/Edinburgh this was a great option for us once we had done it the first time.
When did BA to Heathrow to Orlando flights?

We did Inverness/Heathrow/jfk/Mco then Mco/phl/lhr/inv last year. Never ever again. Getting there was fine but the way back was horrible. They took all our hand luggage off us and told us we wouldn’t see it back till Inverness. We had to plead for them only to check it till on the domestic flight. 3 flights without any of our stuff? My husband had to go landside at Philadelphia to get our hand luggage then race back though security for our Heathrow flight. Obviously my hand luggage was smashed, as were the delicate things inside it.

We will be doing our usual edi/LGW/MCO next year.

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
LunaNyteskye
Apprentice Imagineer

We're hoping to fly out from Inverness or Aberdeen next year too. We have done the Aberdeen/Heathrow/Gatwick/Orlando before which, to be honest, has been the easiest route so far. We'd previoulsy done direct from Glasgow and Inverness/Manchester/Orlando which was a really long layover on the way home.

The only issue with flying from Inverness is having to pay extra for baggage which drives the price up when there's four of you and we'd have to pay for parking. Flying from Aberdeen, we would just get the train to save on parking.

We also looked at flying out from Edinburgh but flying home to Aberdeen as that worked out a lot cheaper than flying from Aberdeen. Again we'd get the train down to Edinburgh so wouldn't have to worry about parking, or fitting all the cases in the car.

It's so difficult trying to get anywhere from up here!

October 2009 Sequoia Lodge Disneyland Paris;
October 2011 Kissimmee Villa;
October 2013 Port Orleans Riverside WDW;
November 2015 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa;
November 2016 Hotel Santa Fe Disneyland Paris;
October 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW, DIBB Villa, Hard Rock Hotel & Grand Floridian WDW
LunaNyteskye is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MightyPirate
Getting to know the DIBB

We've booked Aberdeen-Manchester-Orlando with Virgin for April/May next year. Flight prices were decent too.
MightyPirate is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ABZLocal
Excited about Disney

As a number of people have said there are quite a few options available to you. It can depend on what your priorities and preferences are.

Do you want it all on one ticket for peace of mind? That would mean BA or KLM (or Delta codeshare I think) from Inverness or Aberdeen.

There's limited BA flights from INV meaning it would be difficult to get to Orlando in the same day. You may not mind having a night in London before onward travel?

Alternatively 2 tickets with Easyjet then Norwegian for example. Easyjet have started a new service, link below.
easyjet/en/worldwide

From ABZ, there are many more options. I prefer to avoid the LHR-LGW transfer, preferring an extra stop in JFK for example. You clear immigration at JFK and arrive at MCO as a domestic passenger. There are other US cities to do this in, PHL, MIA, ORD for example.

As others have mentioned, Aer Longus is another good opion clearing immigration in Dublin. Not many flights from ABZ however, some days too late for the MCO flight.

Is price most important to you? Less travel time? It really all depends. This year I'm flying from EDI as it's over £500 cheaper for the 4 of us than ABZ.

You can use ITA Matrix to keep an eye on various routes with the codes in the screenshot below once 330 days are up for your inbound. This will cover flights departing ABZ (Aberdeen) or INV (Inverness) and arriving in to MCO (Orlando Int) or TPA (Tampa). You can add to these if you like. EDI (Edinburgh), FLL (Fort Lauderdale) as 2 examples. Let me know if you need any help.

ABZLocal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It would be so much easier from Inverness if BA did a flight direct to Orlando from Heathrow. But if you want a though ticket with BA you either have to transit from Heathrow to Gatwick (which I’m always nervous to do with lots of luggage and a young child) or catch a domestic within the USA, which makes for a much longer trip (but you do get to skip immigration at Mco)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ABZLocal
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
It would be so much easier from Inverness if BA did a flight direct to Orlando from Heathrow. But if you want a though ticket with BA you either have to transit from Heathrow to Gatwick (which I’m always nervous to do with lots of luggage and a young child) or catch a domestic within the USA, which makes for a much longer trip (but you do get to skip immigration at Mco)
Yes, due to no BA flight to Gatwick from INV or ABZ it does make for a longer day. I personnaly prefer the additional internal US flight. Depending on timings, it can work out the same time or actually quicker than the transfer to Gatwick.

Edited at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added in BA as there are EZY flight to Gatwick.
ABZLocal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loopylaura View Post
We've flown Inverness/Heathrow/Orlando with BA. Flew down to Heathrow, overnight in the Sofitel and then a direct flight out to Orlando. Great flight and as we usually had to travel down day before and stay over if going from Glasgow/Edinburgh this was a great option for us once we had done it the first time.

Hi loopylaura - how did you get a direct flight from Heathrow to Orlando?
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone. I think the most important thing to us is to avoid hassle/waiting/extra connections/long drive on way home really. Obviously want a good price as well. You have all given me some great ideas of routes (and ones to avoid - Mrs_O it sounded a nightmare!).
Thanks for that website as well ABZLocal. I'll have a look.
I agree it would be so much easier if BA did a direct flight from Aberdeen or Inverness to Gatwick. I might look at going down to London the day before so it's less stressful. Thanks again
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loopylaura
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Hi loopylaura - how did you get a direct flight from Heathrow to Orlando?
Ahhhh! Apologies for the misunderstandings... that trip was Inverness to Heathrow, overnight there and then American Airlines via JFK to Orlando... All booked as a through ticket though. Our other trip was Inverness to Gatwick, overnight and then direct with BA to Orlando... Sorry for the confusion! Also booked as a through ticket.

Will still say though that travelling down the day before and overnighting was the way to go for us.
loopylaura is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List