Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 18, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Best way to keep in touch with home - mobile

Hello, my mother has recently said would like to call home a few times during the trip and as such I was wondering what the best way to keep in touch with home would be.

Ideally I would like a pay-as-you-go option, her phone is unlocked so can use any network. Data would be nice as I will be using the phone in the parks to book extra fastpasses etc and would like peace of mind that should data be activated by mistake it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm looking at three feel at home ("go roam") right now, would that give me the best pay-as-you-go option with some data?

I see a "1 month advanced plan" for £23 that gives all you can eat minutes and texts and 13gb data for a month that would be plenty. Not bothered about speed just a backup in case of accidental data use.

I'm thinking I could slip her current sim out and put the three sim in for the duration of our trip. Could I then cancel the plan without being tied into any long term contracts? Any help or other options would be much appreciated.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 04:48 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

Does "Home" have a mobile too? Cause then WhatApp is your best bet, free text and calls as long as your on WiFi.
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tsoski View Post
Does "Home" have a mobile too? Cause then WhatApp is your best bet, free text and calls as long as your on WiFi.
She isn't really up on tech and has stated that she would prefer to call direct, as I did suggest messaging services over wifi.

Partly this is also as we will have to carry the wifi device around and I don't want anything bigger than a phone. I could take one of our current phones but I just don't want to be charged for accidental data use as I can see either me doing it by routine or her doing it by accident.
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A SIM from Three would be your best bet. She can get a £10 Add-On which will give her free minutes to call any UK number (landline or mobile)
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

We are doing it different this year and using GoToMeeting, this is video conferencing, so you can talk and see. Two week free trial. I have a work subscription. Easy to use over WiFi. Can schedule times and so it calls her, for ease.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

Always use Three. I currently have a £20 contract which gives me unlimited everything including “feel at home” so I can call/text and use data whilst in Florida. Before this, I used a three Rolling contract for £18, meaning I used it for the month I was there and then just cancelled when I got home.

Feel at home also works for pay as you go if you top up and add a bundle

Edited at 07:32 PM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by aladdin View Post
Always use Three. I currently have a £20 contract which gives me unlimited everything including “feel at home” so I can call/text and use data whilst in Florida. Before this, I used a three Rolling contract for £18, meaning I used it for the month I was there and then just cancelled when I got home.

Feel at home also works for pay as you go if you top up and add a bundle
Excellent, this sounds like just what we need. doing some googling looks like "go roam" is what feel at home used to be so that's the one we'll need. I'll look at getting a sim ordered on a rolling contract.

Cheers!
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 09:03 PM.
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Your cheapest option is the Three £15 pay as you go plan which is 5GB and so enough for fast pass browsing in the parks. One flat fee, no contract.

There is a £10 one but it’s only 1GB... again, may be useful but don’t expect data to last if you wanted to do anything like post Facebook photos when not on Wi-fi

Go to the three website > shop > pay as you go sims under SIM ONLY

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Excellent, this sounds like just what we need. doing some googling looks like "go roam" is what feel at home used to be so that's the one we'll need. I'll look at getting a sim ordered on a rolling contract.

Cheers!
There is really no need for a contract SIM. You could just get a free SIM on PAYG, then just top up as you wanted and use it only for Florida/overseas trips.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I was going to suggest WhatsApp as that's what I plan to use over there - but then I see you are staying offsite so Wifi may be an issue. Step-mum raves about 3 Mobile whilst abroad

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List