Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 22 Aug 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tiger 1057 View Post
Whilst I have travelled quite extensively we have never taken a cruise. I am tempted to plump for a trip on the Oceana to give us an indication if we like cruising or not. Having looked at this via Planet Cruise I am totally confused as there are all sorts of permutations with types of cabin and decks!
I was considering an inside cabin for a cruise of Northern Europe (7 days in Nov) or a 14 day cruise to Barcelona from Southampton in Feb (I would prefer a no fly cruise). I’m not bothered about a balcony due to the time of year though I realise you do get the floor to ceiling windows. My main question for the cognoscenti is does the deck location make much difference? I realise there must be benefits otherwise they couldn’t charge more for them but I would be very grateful for opinions. We don’t go to Disney till the end of next year so could do with a little treat.
I don’t think it makes much difference vertically. Wherever you are you are always going up and down. Within the deck some like to be near the lifts or the stairs. Also check what’s above /below you. You might want to avoid being over the disco for example.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tiger 1057 View Post
Whilst I have travelled quite extensively we have never taken a cruise. I am tempted to plump for a trip on the Oceana to give us an indication if we like cruising or not. Having looked at this via Planet Cruise I am totally confused as there are all sorts of permutations with types of cabin and decks!
I was considering an inside cabin for a cruise of Northern Europe (7 days in Nov) or a 14 day cruise to Barcelona from Southampton in Feb (I would prefer a no fly cruise). I’m not bothered about a balcony due to the time of year though I realise you do get the floor to ceiling windows. My main question for the cognoscenti is does the deck location make much difference? I realise there must be benefits otherwise they couldn’t charge more for them but I would be very grateful for opinions. We don’t go to Disney till the end of next year so could do with a little treat.
Cognoscenti!😂😂 Within the same type of cabin eg inside, the grades get more expensive depending on location. Cabins in the middle tend to experience less movement (pitching) in heavy seas, also lower decks experience less rolling movement. All this sounds really negative but only on 2 or 3 of our 45+ cruises have we experienced heavy seas.
More important for us is is choosing a cabin that has no obvious sources of noise eg no open deck above or bar/social area below, so we go for one that has cabins above and below. We avoid cabins near a passenger laundry or lifts and areas that might be crew areas which can be a source of noise when cabin stewards are getting their trolleys prepared early morning. So, scrutinising deck plans (available online) for the ship you are considering is helpful - it’s not as complex as it sounds, honest!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
Thank you so much for the link! It such a shame I was away from home! They won't book it themselves unfortunately! I think they maybe too late unfortunately ! My TA would have booked it for them, but they wouldn't book with her! It's now £450pp more than I could have got it on Tuesday!
By the time the itineraries appeared on the P&O website they had shot up - certainly the one we booked. Shame you couldn’t get in early.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiger 1057
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Cognoscenti!😂😂 Within the same type of cabin eg inside, the grades get more expensive depending on location. Cabins in the middle tend to experience less movement (pitching) in heavy seas, also lower decks experience less rolling movement. All this sounds really negative but only on 2 or 3 of our 45+ cruises have we experienced heavy seas.
More important for us is is choosing a cabin that has no obvious sources of noise eg no open deck above or bar/social area below, so we go for one that has cabins above and below. We avoid cabins near a passenger laundry or lifts and areas that might be crew areas which can be a source of noise when cabin stewards are getting their trolleys prepared early morning. So, scrutinising deck plans (available online) for the ship you are considering is helpful - it’s not as complex as it sounds, honest!
Thank you both (Bev+) so much as that is really helpful because I would never of thought scrutinising the deck layout for the sources of noise. Usually I have the type of luck that when I book into a hotel our room is above the banquet room where a rowdy wedding is taking place and most of the drunken guests return to their rooms that are on our floor in the early hours of the morning 😂
Tiger 1057 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List