Notices

Old 16 Jun 15, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by Irelandmaryd View Post
Charleston - Our hotel was the Hamilton Inn Historic District and was very comfortable. Once we arrive we just chilled at the pool and headed out for something to eat at a nearby Italian Papa Joes I think it was called. The following day we drove to Boone Plantation it was brillant I loved all the movie /tv references(North and South, Roots Queenie, the Notebook) and the history of the place. We all enjoyed this very much even the girls. Afterwards we decided to go to Fort Sumter hubby really enjoyed this the girls not so much. Not sure where we ate that night to be honest. While I loved the activites here I preferred the stay in Savannah more of a holiday vibe.
Myrtle Beach - I just loved it here we stayed in the Breakers Resort and enjoyed lazing around the pool. The hotel is very well located and the beach is amazing. We had to change rooms as the first room we were allocated was next to a clanging lift and we were given an upgrade to ocean front. We had only booked the cheap accommodation and noted the difference in buildings, it pays to pay more here, and if we had remained in the lower budget building would not have had such an amazing time. The hotel was excellent in trying to address our concerns on the first room allocated. Here we visited the Coastal Mall for more shopping, Broadway at the Beach for evening entertainment and the rest just lazing by the beach and pool. I would have loved more time here four nights were not enough. The drive back to Charlotte took much longer than we thought we left at 10.30am for a 6.10pm flight and got there at 4pm with one quick rest stop.

Overall we had a fantastic time and while I would do somethings slightly different. I would not have stayed in Chattanooga and stayed only 1 night in Charleston instead of 2 with a week in Myrtle Beach at the end to relax.

Having tried my first road trip I would certainly do one again but could not do one every year. The ideal for me would be a max of three stop stays with more time in each area. I am not particularly fond of whistle stop tours I like to investigate each area and do it properly. The driving was okay and did not bother the girls none of the distances were too great. In all we drove just under 1600 miles in the two weeks.

My favourite things were Dollywood, Rock City and Boone Plantation they were great days out.

Anyway hope this helps someone thinking about visiting any of these areas.
Old 16 Jun 15, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks Heather we had a great time. I sure your hotel will be fine and even though we got the tram to downtown Chattanooga we kept thinking that we must have missed the bustling area of it somehow. It was not as I expected but all the reviews of it are good.

Enjoy your holiday
Old 16 Jun 15, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irelandmaryd View Post
Thanks Heather we had a great time. I sure your hotel will be fine and even though we got the tram to downtown Chattanooga we kept thinking that we must have missed the bustling area of it somehow. It was not as I expected but all the reviews of it are good.

Enjoy your holiday
Thanks Mary, we are hoping to get in a few more planning meetings in before we go! We have booked a cabin in the Smoky Mountains for the 3 nights that was dilemma in itself, a bit like looking for a villa in Orlando, to much choice!
Old 28 Jun 15, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
rach19
Imagineer

rach19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thanks for sharing, we are looking at myrtle beach next year after New York and DC. Looks like you had an amazing time.
Cabana bay, gulf coast and Miami Aug 2018
All Star Music and Dolphin split stay Aug/Sept 2022
rach19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List