Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 10 Apr 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We leave San Diego tomorrow and the City has been an absolutely fascinating, beautiful, clean paradise. We have loved it!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 05:00 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 14, Scripps Aquarium at La Jolla, Legoland at Carlsbad and the Queen Mary.

Well, bye bye San Diego and its up the road, stopping briefly for an hour at the Scripps Aquarium, about 20 minutes away in La Jolla. It was meant to be a Kayak trip on our GoSanDiego5, but this was cancelled due to surf. (See lack of surf by Cornish standards in image). The aquarium was small, very well formatted and beautifully presented with an emphasis on the work of Scripps and also preservation of our oceans. Great value as part of our Gosandiego5 card, but If we had had to pay, then I wouldn't have bothered. The views from the site were awesome!

The awesome view from Scripps.

A strange, Seahorsey type thing that photographs well.

It was then on to Legoland, that can best be described as very similar to Windsor and Orlando, fine for a look around and some great models in the American showcase, D.C, N.Y, New Orleans, San Francisco and Las Vegas. The Star Wars models were also very impressive. Again, part of our
Gosandiego5

Legoland entrance.. suspiciously similar to the one at Orlando.. or Windsor.

A legoland view of San Francisco... 'I have been there, you know!'

We then drove on for a couple of hours to our final overnight stay on R.M.S Queen Mary. It could best be described as resplendent in her faded glory, although it was clear that there was plenty of work going on. Our 'stateroom ' is large and spacious with 2 x Queen size beds and some nice, nostalgic/sympathetic furniture. The beds are good! We had a really good stroll around the ship , the Art Deco bar below the bridge was excellent while the size of the ship was astonishing.

RMS Queen Mary.. And far more importantly, a Foxtrot 2 Russian Submarine in a bad state of general repair.

Mandie playing 'Hollywood film stars', on the Promenade deck of the Queen Mary.

Happy hour in the fantastic Art Deco bar below the bridge.

Tomorrow, it is up early as we have to be at Santa Monica pier for 1000.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:01 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Wow you have done so much in your time there. Hope you have had a great time and thanks for sharing some tips with us
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 02:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Day 15 Driving, driving ,driving (and Santa Monica plus Hollywood). 'Say goodbye to Hollywood'

The 1 hour drive from the QM to Santa Monica took 2 hrs 20. Our purpose, a Hollywood tour with Surf City tours, just next to the Pier with parking included in the deal, selected because it also placed us just 7 miles from LAX and hopefully minimised risk.

The end of Route 66 Santa Monica Pier.. The rest of Route 66 beckons when the boys have deserted us!(Note the really exciting Drugs bust taking place behind us!) The kids loved it.

The 6 hour tour of Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Rodeo drive etc was humorous, interesting and good value. Lots of good information and gossip was provided.

Famous movie last scene.. a love story.. answers on a postcard

The last hotel check in of Janis Joplin. (She never checked out).

We were back in Santa Monica and in our car at 1600. The 7 mile drive to LAX then took 1 hr 45. Car drop was good, but information was sparse on arrival at Terminal 2. Once we figured that departures were upstairs (although we never saw a sign), we established that we were at the wrong end of a 400m long check in hall. (although we never saw a sign). Even stranger, Virgin Aus and Virgin Atlantic were at opposite ends of the hall. (Virgin US is in Terminal 6). This overcome, we now await our flight (which is on time).

I hope that you have enjoyed my trip report and I will have achieved my objective if it assists anybody else with their planning/decision making.

Anybody seeking any further information on any aspect is more than welcome to make contact on this thread or by personal message. At the end of the day, other DIBBERS have been equally helpful to me.

Now planning begins for 3 weeks next summer. Boston for 3 nights- Amtrac to NY for 3 nights- Fly to Dayton for 2 nights - and then Florida for 13 looks favourite with some of that travelling down the Gulf Coast to a departure from Fort Lauderdale!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:33 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Woah loooong drive times serve as a reminder to all of us how bad traffic is in LA
Thanks for your report. Hoping the journey home was uneventful
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Great report. Hope you had a good flight home.
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great flight thanks. Now overnighting at Bristol before driving the rest down to Falmouth in the morning.

Old 12 Apr 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your experiences you packed so much in. The drives around LA shows the reality of how bad the traffic can be!
Old 13 Apr 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PantherMum
Staying in the Castle

I've really enjoyed reading your thread, thanks for sharing.

We have been to California a couple of times before, and like you, we LOVED San Diego so much that we are staying there for a full week in August. Will be visiting lots of the places on your itinerary and hoping to get good value out of the Go San Diego 7 day card!

Not been to La Jolla before - was it easy to park near the Aquarium?

Hope your drive back to Falmouth was ok - we live in Truro.
PantherMum is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by PantherMum View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your thread, thanks for sharing.

We have been to California a couple of times before, and like you, we LOVED San Diego so much that we are staying there for a full week in August. Will be visiting lots of the places on your itinerary and hoping to get good value out of the Go San Diego 7 day card!

Not been to La Jolla before - was it easy to park near the Aquarium?

Hope your drive back to Falmouth was ok - we live in Truro.
La Jolla aquarium has plenty of free parking and is easy to visit. It is small, very well presented, but is certainly not a 'let us entertain you' venue. It is educational and environmentally very friendly. You get out of it what you put in. The views from there are awesome. If I was on a Gosandiego5 again and the kayaks were in the water, then I would kill the two birds with one stone.

As you live very near, you have had a lucky break (if you want it). I have spare pamphlets, plans and maps and everything else for everywhere that we visited. You are welcome to come over and collect a full set as well as pick our brains. Just send me a private message to arrange it!

Edited at 09:02 PM.