Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Virgin holiday from MAN > LAX (return from Orlando)

Intrigue got the better of me so earlier I got on the phone to Virgin Holidays to talk about a package deal for late October 2020.

As expected they have an allocation of tickets that aren't visible on the website including direct flights to LA from Manchester.

Just got a price that consisted of the following:

20/10/20 - flight from Manchester to LA
5 nights at Red Lion / Anaheim Portofino

30/10/20 - flight from Orlando Int'l to Manchester

Total price for 2 adults and 1 child was £3,100 which I thought was poor.

Prior to calling I already have a cancellable rate for a hotel in Anaheim for 5 nights for £550 which i was very happy with. I have also paid a small deposit on Royal Pacific @ Universal Orlando which is non refundable but again I got a great rate on this. Adding Royal Pacific to the above booking would have made it £4,040 so I haven't missed out on anything there.

£3,100 seems very expensive just for flights and a 5 night stay at Red Lion / Anaheim Portofino. Anyone agree?

I've been eyeing up Air New Zealand to LA for no more than £830 (1-way) but until allocations are released on the Orlando to Manchester final leg then I'm playing a waiting game.

Obviously I know i've an internal flight to factor in but there's nothing available at all for that yet. Virgin are able to give me a flight only quote from 1st December including the internal (LAX > MCO with Delta) but god knows how much it will be.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
gogs
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi,
We did this kind of holiday last month & that price seems very expensive.

We paid about £1400 for 2 adults & 2 kids (well, one kid is 16 now so probably an adult price) or so for MAN-LAX with Virgin then a return from MCO-MAN via Atlanta.

We flew with Southwest internally from San Diego to Tampa for about £500 for us all.

I personally would wait for better prices.

We loved the holiday, LA was cool (one day was enough there we felt) & San Diego was amazing although the kids were shocked at how cool the sea was compared to Florida!
gogs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Originally Posted by gogs View Post
Hi,
We did this kind of holiday last month & that price seems very expensive.

We paid about £1400 for 2 adults & 2 kids (well, one kid is 16 now so probably an adult price) or so for MAN-LAX with Virgin then a return from MCO-MAN via Atlanta.

We flew with Southwest internally from San Diego to Tampa for about £500 for us all.

I personally would wait for better prices.

We loved the holiday, LA was cool (one day was enough there we felt) & San Diego was amazing although the kids were shocked at how cool the sea was compared to Florida!
Thank you - how far in advance did you book the flights (international and internal)?

Having got the hotels sorted at really good rates it is just a waiting game for the flights and I’m impatient. I’ve done DIY packages before but was curious about the availability of what Virgin had to offer over the phone.

My only concern is that the MCO - MAN flight on 30/10/20 is filling up because quite a few have been moved from previously booked Thomas Cook flights and the less seats available the more expensive they become.

Edited at 10:59 PM.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
gogs
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by mikeclark007 View Post
Thank you - how far in advance did you book the flights (international and internal)?

Having got the hotels sorted at really good rates it is just a waiting game for the flights and I’m impatient. I’ve done DIY packages before but was curious about the availability of what Virgin had to offer over the phone.

My only concern is that the MCO - MAN flight on 30/10/20 is filling up because quite a few have been moved from previously booked Thomas Cook flights and the less seats available the more expensive they become.
Hi,
We booked at the very end of May 2019.

I wouldn't have thought they'd release all seats as early as now for next year. Are your dates fixed? If not, then you should be okay. Plus you can always fly indirectly with other airlines (unless that's a deal breaker of course!).
Is that when the English schools are off on holiday? If not then there should always be seats free around then, even quite late on.

We also booked via KLM but it was a codeshare with Virgin (we saved quite a bit this way).
gogs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Originally Posted by gogs View Post
Hi,
We booked at the very end of May 2019.

I wouldn't have thought they'd release all seats as early as now for next year. Are your dates fixed? If not, then you should be okay. Plus you can always fly indirectly with other airlines (unless that's a deal breaker of course!).
Is that when the English schools are off on holiday? If not then there should always be seats free around then, even quite late on.

We also booked via KLM but it was a codeshare with Virgin (we saved quite a bit this way).
Dates are fixed and the day we fly home would be the last day of the October half term which I understand will carry a premium but still thought it would be cheaper. Definitely not doing indirect either 😁
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

This looks high (IMHO).
If broken down into components (and I do not know the age of the child concerned)... so I have taken no account of APD on this seat, pricing as an Adult.

Flights into LAX and out of MCO should be obtainable at £450- £500 pp direct and in coach. Even Virgin are selling directs for £629 in Sept... £1500. Don’t forget that you should save a further £80 or so APD on the child seat flying out.

If you were prepared to start and end in London, then you are looking at £388, direct both flights with BA (in Sept). I would drive to London and back to save that amount!

This means that you are paying at least £1600 for 5 nights in Anaheim (dependant on air transport costs). That is ludicrous, even by the average standards of Virgin.

I would be patient and DIY. The thing that can go wrong with DIY (but fortunately never has for us), is when you book two flights relatively close together, miss the connection due to issues with flight 1 and are then left stranded when you subsequently miss flight 2. You have a 5 day split between flights 1 and 2.

That internal from California (maybe LAX to MCO should come in at around £100 and a bit pp, Direct). I priced July as that is as far out as google would go. If you want to go indirect instead of direct and take an extra 3 hours or so, you should be sub £80pp

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:16 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Try Air Canada.
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Try Air Canada.
Thank you but I don't see anything direct. Air Canada site is down for maintenance at the moment though.
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Thank you but I don't see anything direct. Air Canada site is down for maintenance at the moment though.
You are currently too early for many airlines and certainly search engines. We are only 344 days or so from your return home.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Not direct but good prices.