Notices

Old 12 Feb 08, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
ps Baggy bird! Love the piccie of Grissom!

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
If you like a little museum, we visited two

The Ellis Island - VERY informative and entertaining. well worth a trip, about Half a doy would be ample.

The Fire Museum - Its tucked out of the way a little, and not many cab drivers knew where it was (so we found out) but again full of interesting information. Both me and my children have an interest in 9/11(not in a sick way, just to help us understand why the would is like it is today, of which 9/11 was a major advent that effects this) anyway, the museum features an area dedicated to the brave men and women of the FDNY (plus the 343 who didnt return)
(about an hour to do this)

Also the visitors center on the southern end of the ground zero site give an insite of what happen that day, also it shows NY before thei fateful day. (about an hour would do, could hop off the lower bus tour to do this)

If your interested in visiting these areas let me know and i can dig out for information if you need.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Gaz, I do remember reading abuot the fire museum in your trip report and I fancied that, being married to an ex fireman. Depends on time really, but it is on my reserve list. I presume it would be on the bus tour route?

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
A question for some of you experienced New York visitors.

I am looking at the various helicopter tours and their reviews.
We sort of plan to use the bus tour and hop off near the heliport and take a flight. Some of the reviews talk about waiting a few hours to get a flight.
Can you just book when you get there? Or is it like the Empire S B where it is better to book on line before?

Old 12 Feb 08, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Originally Posted by jeanwales View Post
A question for some of you experienced New York visitors.

I am looking at the various helicopter tours and their reviews.
We sort of plan to use the bus tour and hop off near the heliport and take a flight. Some of the reviews talk about waiting a few hours to get a flight.
Can you just book when you get there? Or is it like the Empire S B where it is better to book on line before?
Jean I looked at this so my opinion is only that not experience, my lot have passed on this experience they keep referring to our Hot Air Balloon trip where we crash landed , but I digress u can pre-book the time and its best to do so the security is a bitch as well for obvious reasons so keep baggage to a minimum, there are a few surcharges £2.50 per person and at the VIP Heliport another $17.50, the tours look good and Attraction tickets direct do the best deal for the more expensive tour at £90 each also if u call them u can prebook the time
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
I noticed the surcharge from the heliport - still undecided on this and may leave it an open option till nearer the time.

Have got my ESB and Rock tickets sorted tonight and also the boat cruise.

Old 12 Feb 08, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
I never did a helicopter tour, so sorry i can not help you. i am sure someone will be along soon.
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 08, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
i have just had a quick look on the downtown route map, the bus tour doesnt stop near the fire museum, its quite a walk, but achievable.
Old 12 Feb 08, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We are good walkers! So long as it is not too hilly! Barbara gets a bit out of breath going up hills!

Old 12 Feb 08, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by jeanwales View Post
We are good walkers! So long as it is not too hilly! Barbara gets a bit out of breath going up hills!
There are no hills in the downtown area, mind you some of the pot holes in the road, and kerbs on the side walk are like climbing hills!

here is the fire museum location

and here is a view of the bus routes

There are atleast two different bus companines that do the routes, but they stick to the same routes.