Old 4 Sep 11, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Jean and Barbara are going to the Rockies! September 2012

Followers of our little jaunts will know that Barbara and I enjoy a few days each year trotting off to Christmas markets or Amsterdam earlier this year and we did the biggie a couple of years ago with New York. We leave our husbands at home and go off on a girlie trip!
We also have all booked up, a trip to Munich and Salzburg this November so what does the title mean - Canadian Rockies?

We originally thought of doing Prague in November 2012 and I had started looking at really cheap hotels and thought it would be a good value short break, then when we were chatting we thought about going back to New York but seeing it in the Fall. the thought of Central Park with all the colours really appealed to us so I thought I would look into it. Firstly flights - they werent too bad for the same time this year so it became an option, then I started looking at hotels and remembered just how expensive New York was to stay in.
I was playing around on Google and suddenly the rockies came up and my brain went into overdrive! I remembered a few years ago before we went to New York I priced up going on the Rocky Mountaineer Railroad as it had been a dream of Barbaras to do this! But that was so expensive so we ditched it.
I started looking at it again but going in the Fall and realised the roads would be good and I could drive.
So I just whispered the words 'Canadian Rockies' to Barbara and she went into orbit and here we are in an excited flurry trying to see what is do-able even though it is over a year till we go.

At first I considered flying into Vancouver and then driving across to Calgary and seeing the sights in between. But two things turned me off that one. Firstly to hire a car and drop it off in another airport was going to incur massive drop off charges also it was a lot of miles - over 1000 and we only had a week so we would be rushing around and not see much - just driving each day.
So I re-looked at it and decided to fly in and out of Calgary then drive up to Banff and then to Jasper. I have read that the road along there is one of the most scenic in the world.
Loved reading Roonlous reports as it included a lot of what we want to do.

So the planning starts...
We are going to fly out of Manchester 28th September 2012! for 7 nights.
Stay one night in Calgary to get a good nights sleep then drive right up to Jasper for a couple of nights then back down to Banff for a few nights then back to the airport and home!
there is so much to see and do there that we cant wait and we keep saying 'I wish it was this year when we go'! but I love the planning of a holiday and there is plenty to organise on this one.
So anyone who has been, any tips appreciated

Couple of questions that I keep meaning to google but someone may help!

Do we have to fill in any immigration forms etc?

My passport runs out 3 months after our trip - Will that give me a problem?

Can we turn right at a red light in Canada?

We are doing the Icefields experience and a boat trip.
Someone mentioned horseriding too - just wondered if we are brave enough for that one!
Roll on next year!

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 11, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
roonlou
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jeanwales View Post
Couple of questions that I keep meaning to google but someone may help!

My passport runs out 3 months after our trip - Will that give me a problem?

Someone mentioned horseriding too - just wondered if we are brave enough for that one!
Roll on next year!
Hi Jean,

You're going to love Canada, the Rockies are truely spectacular, and it is such an awesome place to visit.

Let us try and help you out with a couple of your questions:

No, just a customs declaration - the whole immigration process is a lot more relaxed than the USA

Yes you can, just like the states.

Have a look at explorerockies/sights...n-18081-N.aspx if you are interested in the icefield explorer (a great experience!), a boat trip and are brave enough to go up in a Gondola as you can get a good deal by booking all three. Also there are horse rides in Banff from a place called Warner Stables, we visited but did not partake, you can see what they offer at horseback/home.html

Also the drive from Calgary to Jasper is qite a long one that you may wish to break up with an overnight stop somewhere so you can take your time with the journey (there is so much to see and so many places to stop it would be a shame to miss everything).

If you wish to ask any more just drop us a PM and we'll be more than pleased to help out.

Good luck with the planning - have fun.

Rich & Lou
roonlou is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 11, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Wow that sounds as though its going to be a great trip. Have a wonderful time , cant wait to see the trippies
Old 5 Sep 11, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
liverbird
VIP Dibber

Wow Jean - now that's some 'girlie' trip! Look forward to reading about your plans and then the trippie, sorry no advice as I've never been to Canada but it's on the list .
Old 5 Sep 11, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

whats the best time,to visit canada weather wise.its somewhere i now fancy,but hubby doesn't do cold,as he puts it!
i love reading your trip reports,so i can't wait,until next year
tracy x
Old 6 Sep 11, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post

I can't wait to read this trip report! Sounds a fab trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

We did 3 weeks in Canada in September 2008 and the weather was fantastic, some days in the low eighties.
We stayed in Calgary the first two nights at the Delta Bow hotel...very nice. Then drove to Banff. We absolutely adored Banff. Go visit the Fairmont hotel for lunch...lovely. Couldn't afford to stay there but were very happy with our hotel.
bestofbanff/banff-caribou-lodge/
They do a shuttle bus into town if you don't want to drive and find somewhere to park.
After six days in Banff doing the tourist things...Gondola ride to name one we drove down the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. It is simply stunning scenery, takes your breath away.
We did do the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver which was wonderful but expensive! This was a big "one of" trip.
We also loved Vancouver. Didn't need a car there.
As for car hire we picked up one at Calgary and dropped it back at Jasper when we got the train. We then picked up another car at the end of our time in Vancouver and drove it to Calgary where we dropped it off for our flight home and I don't remember it being mega expensive for different drop offs.
Would love to visit again.
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Well, I have done it! It is no longer a dream - it has just become a reality!
I have booked two seats for 28th September. We have booked the non refundable flights so it is non negotiable - we are going!
It was £99 to upgrade to club class so we have gone mad and done it - Seeing how it is a long flight we thought we would spoil ourselves plus we get a lot larger luggage allowance which is necessary when we find the nearest Walmart!

So next to the planning.

Thankyou so much for the advice above - a great help.
I can now spend time deciding what we want to do and then booking the hotels.
I tend to book them as soon as I can with Booking.com but then watch to see if I can get any better deals during the year. Our problem is smoking rooms for Barbara! But a lot of the Canadian hotels have balconies or patios so she can smoke out there!
Marion, the quote I was given for drop off in Calgary was $600! Admittedly I didn't dig around too much as we were also thinking it was a lot of miles in the car.
Now we have it booked I am so excited and cant wait to plan what we want to do. The Jasper Tramway, Banff Gondola, Icefields and a boat trip will be at the top of the list. also thanks for the horse link - I really fancy that although I have to say I have never been on a horse in my life - it can't be that hard... can it?

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinklfly
Imagineer

Tinklfly's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds fantastic. Hope you'll keep us updated as you get on with the planning. That's a trippie I can't miss. Looking forward to it.
Old 7 Sep 11, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Well I emailed the Stables thanks to the link above from Roonlou saying we had never ridden before and what did they suggest! Had a lovely reply so I guess that is definitely on our list now!

Hi Jean,

We offer trail rides that are beginner friendly and we have given many
guests their first ride ever! So no worries! A great starter ride is the 1
hour the Bow River Ride which is gentle ride through the woodland, along the
Bow River and loops around the Marsh.

Amanda