Notices

Old 17 Jul 14, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Thinking about broadway shows.

Last year we actually didn't see ANY shows, which is bizarre for us, but there is quite a bit we want to see this year.

Top priority for us is Les Miserables

I know I know, we have it in London bla bla bla. But what we don't have in London is Ramin Karimloo as Jean Valjean and Caissie Levy as Fantine. Those two people alone will get me there.
General "rush" tickets are $37. From looking online, we will need to show up to queue at about 0539am, but I figured we could take advantage of jet lag on the first full day and see it then. So the plan will be to be there between 0530 and 0545. Extreme, you might think, but it saves us a a minimum of $20 each on the cheapest seats and often rush seats are top price, meaning we would save over $100!

Second thing we all want to see is Forbidden broadway.

I saw the London version of this a few years ago (it's different) and was in hysterics, so would be interested to see what the original show has come up with. I can't find any discounts at all for this show, but although I will be keeping my eyes peeled for discounts, $79 per ticket is not the end of the world. I know it will be worth every cent as it is a very high quality show.

The third show Sarah and I want to see, but Amy is not so bothered so not sure if she will come along.

If/Then is a new show. What is pulling me there is that I like the story, the music is awesome... And Idina Menzel is in it. I have a bit of a soft spot for her after three months working at the Apollo Victoria and watching her in Wicked every night. Plus an interesting conversation about mini pizzas, but I digress. Tickets for this are coming up about $55 but it is often available at TKTS so we're going to take a look there.

We're not the kind of folk that have to have the best seats, especially seeing as "restricted view" is not really a thing in broadway theatres as they were all purpose built. So, you won't find yourself sitting behind a pillar like you might in a London theatre!

So, that's the theatrical round up. I'm hoping to see at least these three, and I might wrangle a ticket for Cinderella whilst these two are at comic con, but not sure yet. It'll be either that or newsies.
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 14, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
What about Aladdin? I love the new songs!
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 14, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Not sure. I think the three of us will only squeeze those three n, but I may see something on the Sunday when Amy and Sarah are at comic con... Not sure
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 14, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Here's the rough (very rough) itinerary that we came up with yesterday

Tuesday 7th October
Check into Heathrow Central Travelodge
Dinner somewhere ?three magpies

Wednesday 8th October
London transport bus to airport
Check in around 6am
Breakfast at Giraffe
Flight at 0830
Arrive JFK approx 1105
Get Airtrain and LIRR direct to Penn Station
Around 1pm walk to hotel. If room not available yet, leave luggage and go for a wander.
TOTR

Thursday 9th October
Up early (5am) and queue for rush tickets for Les Miserables
After tickets bought ($37 each) get bus from Port Authority to Jersey Garden Mall
Juniors for dinner
Les Miserables

Friday 10th October
Amy and Sarah - Comic Con
Laura - Maybe Woodbury Common Outlets
Evening - not sure yet

Saturday 11th October
Amy and Sarah - Comic Con
Laura - Macys, general wandering. Thinking to maybe catch a matinee show.
Evening - Queens Center Mall. Dinner at Tony Di Napoli

Sunday 12th October
Sarah and Amy - Comic Con
Laura - possibly another matinee
Evening - South Street Seaport and walking the Brooklyn Bridge. DUMBO and Brooklyn Ice Cream factory. Hoping to watch the sun go down over Manhattan before walking back across the bridge

Monday 13th October
High Line
Chelsea Market
Big Gay Ice Cream Shop
Friends Building
9/11 Memorial and Museum
Union Square
Johns Pizzeria

Tuesday 14th October
Amy - Washington DC to see a friend
Laura and Sarah - 9/11 memorial tour with guide from visitor center. Walkin' Broadway tour. If/Then in the evening
Food somewhere with Amy (probably Juniors) once she is back.

Wednesday 15th October
Park day
Head for airport around 1830 via shuttle bus from Port Authority
Flight from Newark at 2255

I'm exhausted just typing that up!

Edited at 08:43 PM.
Old 27 Jul 14, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Finally all paid off! Woohoo!

Now just to save up some spends over the next couple of months and off we gooooooo!

The hotel is open now (phew!) and getting great reviews on tripadvisor, which is fab
Old 31 Jul 14, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
finns@disney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Hi sorry about your loss and fingers crossed for you both in the future. We lost our first and went on to have a wonderful DD.
your trip sounds fab again. We are off in just over a week and your trip reports have been very good reading for me, thanks. If I could just ask what the food prices are like at places like juniors ect has having a melt down over money for new York. We have $1650 for 5 days for 2 adults and 2 teenages would you say that's enough. Thanks
Old 31 Jul 14, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Hey Hun. Food is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it

Hot dog carts in the streets are fab (and hygiene rated) and you can get a hot dog for $1!
Places like juniors it's usually about $15-20 for a main course. We usually end up spending about $50 inc tip for usually main course, drink and dessert for three of us.

You'll be fine with the money you have. Seriously :-) like I said it's as cheap or as expensive as you make it. Some trips we have taken $1000 between the two of us and others we have taken abut $3000 between us and we've had a great time every time. Plus, we go for seven days
Old 31 Jul 14, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
finns@disney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Awww cheers for that I much appreciate it. Glad to know the street food is fab and got good hygiene has really fancy that for a bite at lunch while on the go.
Old 31 Jul 14, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

I love street food :-) Generally every shop, bar, restaurant, street cart or anywhere that serves food will have a rating in the window. "A" rating is the very best. I wouldn't eat anywhere below a B rating, but that's just me personally :-)
It's a fab city
Old 31 Jul 14, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Shopping!

I'm making myself a little virtual shopping list. We've already agreed that we will be getting an extra suitcase or two, so I'm excited to see what I can get hold of out there.

Firstly I want to have these shipped to the hotel from the Disney Store website. I can't get them in the store in NYC as they are parks exclusive.

Then here's some of the other things that I'm excited about...
Hot Topic

Bath and Body Works

Of course... Yankee Candle