Notices

Old 21 Aug 16, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hello.

Wow, this looks an absolutely fab trip. It's on our bucket list so I shall be making detailed notes.
Lovely plans , you will have a fantastic time.

Good to hear all ok with you and lovely to see you on here again xxx
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Your plans look Amazing. We're hoping to do a New England road trip Autumn 2018, just me & DH. I shall be following your thread with interest x
Old 25 Aug 16, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hello.

Wow, this looks an absolutely fab trip. It's on our bucket list so I shall be making detailed notes.
Lovely plans , you will have a fantastic time.

Good to hear all ok with you and lovely to see you on here again xxx
Hi thanks for popping over and commenting! Yea this was a total bucket list trip for me so i am really excited! Now to hope we have timed it right and the leaves are still orange and not just on the ground!
xx

Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
Your plans look Amazing. We're hoping to do a New England road trip Autumn 2018, just me & DH. I shall be following your thread with interest x
Oh fab well i will no doubt be writing about every single little thing so there will be lots of info for you xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Hi Gemma, your trip sounds great. Boston is on my list of places to visit so I'll be following along.

Great to see you have another Disney trip planned too so I will keep an eye out for that pre-trippy.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 16, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Hi Gemma, your trip sounds great. Boston is on my list of places to visit so I'll be following along.

Great to see you have another Disney trip planned too so I will keep an eye out for that pre-trippy.
Thank you so much for reading! Yea i already think we will be wanting to go back to Boston after this trip, So i will be making sure to make thorough notes of everything we did and missed!

Thanks again xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 16, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Update - The Food Plan!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the massive gap between my last update and this one but regular boring non holiday life has been a bit crazy busy. I had actually planned on starting this update this afternoon (as I need to do actual work before tomorrow) but its now 4:23pm and I’m just starting eek!

So lets get into it! What is it you may ask well this is just a super quick run through of all our food plans. We only have 30 days until we head off and in that time and I am finishing my current job starting a new one (with a scary promotion), Maurice is heading off to Ireland for a week with his mum (it’s the homeland!) then he is flat out super busy until we go on holiday. So I’ve got a giant to do list of maps to print out information together and addresses to write down and I figured I should get you guys all up to date in the hope of keeping me right.

At the moment I am having a bit of a meltdown regarding the Sat Nav as I thought I could purchase the USA maps for our Tom Tom but the website seems to suggest ours isn’t compatible so I’ve no idea what to do now. I have emailed Tom Tom to ask and if I don’t get an answer this week I might need to just hire one on ebay.

Anyway on to the food so as I mentioned before next to none of our hotels include breakfast so each day I’ve had to pretty much think up and find 3 different places to eat, I’m just gonna give you guys some foody pictures and some links to enjoy.

Day 1: So this is our arrival day most food will be airplane based but dinner will be courtesy of Boston and it has got to be something quick and easy. Within 5 minutes walking of our Hotel there is a Tasty Burger, a Panera Bread and a Cheesecake Factory. But since we are hoping to head out and do a bit of walking about we should be near the Cheers Bar I don’t intend for us to eat in there but just want some easy burgers or something.

Day 2: Breakfast will be at Flour Bakery after all the great reviews from Gopherlass flourbakery/location/back-bay-0 This should set us up good for a day of walking the Freedom Trail.
Lunch will be during our walk and sadly I cant exactly time this one but ideally I would like us to be heading into the Union Oyster House unionoysterhouse

Dinner time should see us back at the hotel and probably hitting the Prudential center for dinner (cheesecake). I would like us to visit Top of the Hub for dinner one night but the menu seems crazy expensive and I don’t really know if we would be in a formal dinner state after walking round Boston all day.

Day 3: Breakfast will be again Flour Bakery flourbakery/location/back-bay-0 or The Friendly Toast thefriendlytoast/menu/

Lunch will be dependent on where we have reached. Today is the day for the JFK presidential library so lunch might be there if we are still wandering about at lunchtime.
Dinner time should see us back in the center of Boston again so this is another unknown at this point!

Ok so I know those first 3 days are so up in the air but I have no idea where is good or what to pick so I’m kinda hoping we just find places at lunch and dinner time, as long as a certain someone is fed breakfast the rest we can wing. But the next days are slightly different in that in some places I was really limited to where we can eat.

Day 4: Breakfast will be either Au Bon pain or Flour Bakery again, this will be a quick breakfast before picking up our rental car and heading out to start our road trip.
Lunch will be at our first stop the Hancock Shaker village café hancockshakervillage/visi...-harvest-cafe/ they also have their own ice cream shop so we will be getting some of that as well who cares that it is late October.

Dinner will be at this brilliant looking place Powder Hounds its right next to our hotel and looks exactly like the type of more local places we are hoping for. berkshiremenus/Restau...er-Hounds.aspx

Day 5: Breakfast will require a little bit of a drive after check out but it will so be worth it chefshatdiner

Lunch will then be anoter drive after our visit to Hildene and its here at Zoey’s Deli zoeys/menus/zoeys-deli-menu/

Dinner will be the final stop on todays food tour at Jesse Steak Tavern, this is right next to our hotel for the night and gets brilliant reviews so I am really looking forward to visiting this one jesses/#featured-dish

Day 6: Breakfast for a change will be in the hotel (woohoo)
Lunch will be during our visit location stop of the day at the Eastern & Main Market Deli (can you tell I love a Deli! ) facebook/MainDeli#_=_
Dinner will be another little drive from our hotel tonight as I wasn’t overly excited about eating in the hotel again it seems really overpriced for what it is, and this place looks so cute!
tripadvisor/Restau...Hampshire.html I also have an alternative if we cant get in here though which is the Inn at Whitefield which seems to be really popular innatwhitefield/default.html

Day 7: Breakfast will be a quick bite in the hotel it’s not included but it is just normal breakfast food so will purchase that.
Lunch will be when we reach north Conway after our big mountain driv, again I have 2 possible options both with adorable views of the old fashioned train station. stairwaycafe or peachesnorthconway

Dinner will be curtosey of either some quick food at the outlet mall food court or this great little Mexican place Fiesta Jalisco fiestajalisconh My favourite thing about this whole trip is the sheer randomness of all the places we might be eating. It’s great and really feels like we are in proper America.

Day 8: Breakfast will again be a quick bite in the hotel it’s not included but it is just normal breakfast food so will purchase that.
Lunch will probably be at the Bayside American Café baysideamericancafe From all my research of Portland it seems very much like a foody place where you should wander about tasting things and drinking cocktails my travel companion is not a massive fan of that so instead we will probably just be picking a place to eat

Dinner is undecided but currently these 2 seem like my favourite and I also have 3 places lined up for cocktails on the way! portlandlobstercompany flatbreadcompany/Flat...tland2010.html
Cocktail places and maybe food also are:
eastenderportland
eventideoysterco
central-provisions

Day 9: Breakfast will be a quick stop in the hotel as today has a lot of travelling to get through.
Lunch will be at our first stop in Salem this will be a quick grab and go lunch at Red’s Sandwich Shop redssandwichshop

Dinner will be at the end of our epic travelling day all the way down in Rhode Island, there is a Cheesecake Factory and Panera Bread near our hotel so after a whole day of travelling between 3 different states something from those will probably do.

Day 10: Breakfast will be our last one of the trip and hoping to get to Ellie’s Bakery elliesbakery

Lunch will be anything we can grab while seeing last bits and pieces of Providence before the drive back to the airport
Dinner will be a Boston airport meal so I don’t have high hopes!

What’s next,

I think any updates from now on will just be random stuff that I have ticked off my to do list or booked, we now have really clear plans for each day and I basically need to make up a little ring binder of it all now! Also I downloaded this brilliant ap called Sygic Travel and you build up each day of your trip add in all your places and it creates a little walking map, its been great at helping me see just how much walking and time it will take to do some of our Boston days.

Thanks for anyone who has been reading along as always I will be grateful for any hints tips or suggestions especially around restaurant choices!

Gemma xx
Old 26 Sep 16, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Hi Gemma,

I've enjoyed reading your pre-trip report. We're off to New England for a road trip from 21st-28th October so we'll be out there the same time as you! We're in Boston for 3 nights, 1 night on the Mohawk Trail and then 3 nights in Hyannis so we're not quite managing to fit in as much as you! I am however, very excited about going to Salem too!

Looking forward to your updates.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Lolly90
Excited about Disney

Sounds like you have a really great trip planned!

We are planning something similar for September next year, so it's great to get some ideas
Lolly90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 16, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sue.o
Very Serious Dibber

Hi! We are planning a similar trip next September/October but for 3 weeks and I wondered which map you have and where you bought it from please? Love the internet but you can't beat a proper map to plan!
sue.o is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Erial View Post
Hi Gemma,

I've enjoyed reading your pre-trip report. We're off to New England for a road trip from 21st-28th October so we'll be out there the same time as you! We're in Boston for 3 nights, 1 night on the Mohawk Trail and then 3 nights in Hyannis so we're not quite managing to fit in as much as you! I am however, very excited about going to Salem too!

Looking forward to your updates.
Claire
x
Hi Claire,

Thanks for reading along, that is so cool you are heading out the same time as us. We are currently obsessively watching the webcams to see how the leaves are going. Maurice is petrified that we get there to find them all on the ground

Your trip sounds amazing as well i hope you have a fantastic time xxx

Originally Posted by Lolly90 View Post
Sounds like you have a really great trip planned!

We are planning something similar for September next year, so it's great to get some ideas
Thanks for reading, its feeling like if it goes to plan its going to be amazing, i hope it well bit its taken a lot of work to get us here with everything.

Oh how fab September will be a lovely time to go as its still a bit warmer xx

Originally Posted by sue.o View Post
Hi! We are planning a similar trip next September/October but for 3 weeks and I wondered which map you have and where you bought it from please? Love the internet but you can't beat a proper map to plan!
Wow 3 weeks that is amazing, you will have such an amazing time!

I know what you mean i just couldn't get my head round it online but once i got the map it made it much easier to figure out!

amazon/Michelin-US...ew+england+map

This was the map we had its the one in my picture! Hope it helps and good luck with your planning xx