Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 21 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Sorry same old which Universal hotel question!

You’d think that I’d have an answer to this seeing as I’m glued to this forum, but we are booking one night at a universal resort this December for express passes.

There are five of us and we’d like to stay club for snacks etc. It’s us (parents) and three kids though with age gaps it means that we have one twenty something, one teen and one six year old. So the older ones will probably park more than the youngest.

Out of the three hotels, Portofino appears to have the bigger rooms (more space for us all) and better club offerings but seems further away if I need to go back for breaks with my youngest DS?

We’ve stayed at the HRH before for a week and have a week booked there for next year but we do love it and it’s so close to the parks!

We’ve never stayed at RPR but it seems close to IOA? I’m a bit worried that the room would be snug for five and maybe it’s not themed so well.

Also I’m thinking which resort would be nice at Christmas?! I love the look of the PB tree.

It’s all a ridiculous amount of overthinking on my part, sometimes I think it was better in the old days when I looked at a brochure and picked the one with nice photos!
jlbf06 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Well we are a couple and have stayed at Portofino and RPR, I don’t like the theming at HRH so we would not try there. I prefer RPR because of the location and we walked to the parks / Citywalk twice a day. We found the walk from Portofino a bit much in Florida heat and humidity, although we did it every few days.

But with your party, I would be swayed by the larger rooms and bathrooms at Portofino. The boats run regularly if you and the younger one Do not fancy the walk.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We were last at HRH club out of the Universal hotels, it's such a short walk to US from there that DS would go off ahead of us (to practice on MIB ) if we were taking our time in the club room and we'd just track him via find my friend app. It was so easy & I was happy him making that walk by himself.

Maybe walking versus boats is something else to consider if you'll be splitting up?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

That’s the thing - the location of RPR and HRH vs the rooms, tree and club lounge at PB. I’m torn!
jlbf06 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jlbf06 View Post
That’s the thing - the location of RPR and HRH vs the rooms, tree and club lounge at PB. I’m torn!
Sounds to me like you really want to be at PB, if your older 2 are together then them going off on a boat within Universal isn't an issue.

We booked my 2 a room at Sapphire falls last October for after their RIP tour of HHN (we didn't do it) to save us picking them up, I was perfectly happy with a 23 year old and an almost 16 year old using the boat in that scenario without us.

If that's where your heart is leading you, you'll still be hankering after it if you stay anywhere else imo, follow your heart

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jlbf06 View Post
I honestly don’t think I would be torn if I were you, I think five people need space more than closer location. We would take the location as a couple, but it is not a difficult journey from Portofino.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Oh tough one- How much time will you spend in the room, if all 5 will just be there for sleeping I'd go on location HRH (looks fab but heard club room is far too small) or RPR (close to IOA and I've heard the club room is bigger). However if you will be in the room a lot I'd try Portifino. The queues for boats can get long at busy times. We always go on price as we spend most off out time out of the room.
We have done 5 adults in RPR it was tight but perfectly manageable and the fold out bed was comfy.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you all for the replies - I think my heart really is with Portofino and I think with it being a busy time of year my six year old will want some time away from the parks. We will have a week there next year so he can do more then. I think he and I will like to chill out around PB. My Tesco clubcard voucher will pay for most of the cost so I think I should just go for it!
Old 22 May 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Portofino Bay is booked! Thanks to you for focussing me and Tesco for the financial contribution! We’ve booked it for later in the holiday so that we can do a day or two in US/IOA and take in the Christmas decor before our stay. That’ll take the pressure off for me and youngest DS so we can enjoy the resort while the others go and hit the big rides with the express passes.