Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Mar 10, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Sarah84 View Post
I don't think having a dress maker design and make a copy of it is really for me, i'd feel much more comfortable buying the dress from a shop and knowing exactly what i was buying, the quality etc rather than having someone try to re-make it i'd be so worried it just wouldn't turn out aswell but thats a great saving you are making and a lovely dress. As Gemma has said there is a LOT of detailing with beading and I think it would so hard to copy it.
That's fair enough, each to their own! I've been told that the lace corset on my dress wouldn't be too difficult to do, it's just the expense of the lace. I like also that I can make mini changes to make it more me, like I said, extra sparkles etc. This is literally the only way I can have this dress as it is now an old style so off the market and so expensive (more than the whole wedding! ) so I'll take it!

Good luck with your hunt, I hope you can barter down your prices!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I managed to get £100 off my dress but that was the maximum they would go to. I was quite happy with that as the dress just felt right. I can't wait to wear it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

My dress shopping was a real eye opener as in all honesty I didn't realise they were so much! After quite a bit of shopping around I bought the first dress I tried on which was a dress unique to the shop I bought it from. They wouldn't do me a discount on the dress or veil, but they would do me discounts on the hoop (got for free in end) and do all alterations for free and they also said if I bought the bridesmaid dresses from them they would give me £30 off each. That was similar in most shops - one said they would do me an Alfred Angelo bridesmaid dress from free if I bought my dress. The shops I found seemed happier to negotiate on the bridesmaid dresses, hoop and alterations, but on the whole wouldn't budge on the dress. My dress and veil was £1050 in the end - dress £900, veil £150. The only thing I worry about is that if I want to resell the dress after it may be harder with it being a unique design rather than a known design, a lot of my friends have sold their dresses after and made a lot of their money back. Personally I'm in two minds on selling it at all but then again I think the money would be handy.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

Wedding shows are a great way to save money on anything bridal. Usually they offer a 20% discount if ordered on the day for only a small deposit. Amy saved £320 on her dress ordering it at the show.

Shop around for accessories as these can vary in price from one place to another. Amy's veil was £158 in the shop where she got her dress from. I found the exact same veil online for £80 however when we went to a designer shop to order her shoes, they had it for £53.

I could have made Amy a dress and thought I might have to because she's so tiny. Luckily she found a designer that started at size 2 and she only ever tried one dress on and that was 'THE ONE'

I did save a lot money on the Bridesmaids dresses by making them. I made the 3 adult ones and the little flowergirl's for the same price as one would cost in the shops.

Kim

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Kim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post

i saved £250 on my dress because i was the first ever bride to buy from them, they were a new shop and i was the first person to even go in and try on dresses. I then bought my veil online and i had my tiara hand made for £60, there is just no way i would pay £150 for a tiara or a veil when you can make a veil yourself for about £10, Mine cost me £25 and was already made. It was from ebay.

This was where i got my tiara, I couldnt recommend the lady enough! I even had hair pins for all my bridemaids, earrings for me & my BM and necklaces for me and my BM and even cufflinks to match for all the men.

This was my tiara (but in different colours)

lovelulabula/abbey-cr...tiara-46-p.asp
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Wedding shows are a great way to save money on anything bridal. Usually they offer a 20% discount if ordered on the day for only a small deposit. Amy saved a wopping £320 on her dress ordering it at the show.

Shop around for accessories as these can vary in price from one place to another. Amy's veil was £158 in the shop where see got her dress from. I found the exact same veil online for £80 however when we went to a designer shop to order her shoes, they had it for £53.

I could have made Amy a dress and thought I might have to because she's so tiny. Luckily she found a designer that started at size 2 and she only ever tried one dress on and that was 'THE ONE'

I did save a lot money on the Bridesmaids dresses by making them. I made the 3 adult ones and the little flowergirl's for the same price as one would cost in the shops.

Kim
Thanks for the tips, i wish i had got the name of the tiara i tried on with the dress or at least who made as it was beautiful really sparkly with diamonte & glass detailing. And the viel had gorgeous diamontes on it. Thanks for the tips Kim, i'll deffiently be looking around for those bits.
Wow you made those bridesmaid dresses? they are gorgeous and i was actually going to ask where you got them from but i expected them to be from a bridal shop whos prices for bridesmaids dress are a bit out of my budget. You done a fantastic job with them

Originally Posted by RobynPrincess View Post
i saved £250 on my dress because i was the first ever bride to buy from them, they were a new shop and i was the first person to even go in and try on dresses. I then bought my veil online and i had my tiara hand made for £60, there is just no way i would pay £150 for a tiara or a veil when you can make a veil yourself for about £10, Mine cost me £25 and was already made. It was from ebay.

This was where i got my tiara, I couldnt recommend the lady enough! I even had hair pins for all my bridemaids, earrings for me & my BM and necklaces for me and my BM and even cufflinks to match for all the men.

This was my tiara (but in different colours)

lovelulabula/abbey-cr...tiara-46-p.asp
Pretty tiara, i'll deffiently try ebay. I was actually thinking of getting the petticoat/hoop from ebay as the prices seem ALOT cheaper than the bridal shops
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

Thanks for the tips, i wish i had got the name of the tiara i tried on with the dress or at least who made as it was beautiful really sparkly with diamonte & glass detailing. And the viel had gorgeous diamontes on it. Thanks for the tips Kim, i'll deffiently be looking around for those bits.
Wow you made those bridesmaid dresses? they are gorgeous and i was actually going to ask where you got them from but i expected them to be from a bridal shop whos prices for bridesmaids dress are a bit out of my budget. You done a fantastic job with them

Pretty tiara, i'll deffiently try ebay. I was actually thinking of getting the petticoat/hoop from ebay as the prices seem ALOT cheaper than the bridal shops
Don't pay loads of money for a hooped petticoat. After all it won't be seen... unlike the dress.

Amy paid about £50 for her's... I got my hands on it and dyed it green

Gave it that quirky touch... she loved it

Try blossom... for Tiara's

Kim

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Kim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 10, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Thanks for that recommendation for tiara they have some gorgeous one's
Love the idea of dying the petticoat, Amys looks great. I couldn't believe it when the lady said it cost £95 did Amy find one to fit ok? they one i tried on with the dress, the lady had to pin it to hold it up
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 10, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

Thanks for that recommendation for tiara they have some gorgeous one's
Love the idea of dying the petticoat, Amys looks great. I couldn't believe it when the lady said it cost £95 did Amy find one to fit ok? they one i tried on with the dress, the lady had to pin it to hold it up
No... I had to re-make the top part... because it was way too big. Then Amy said she didn't like the nylon lining... because it was itchy... So I re-made it in cotton.

Should have made it from scratch in the first place... Live and learn

Kim

Edited at 12:24 AM.
Old 14 Mar 10, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread