Old 19 Aug 08, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
3 Happy campers have a highland Fling - day two

DAY 2 …AUGUST 3RD

Well I woke up bright and early…you don’t have to be in Orlando to wake at stupid o’clock on your first day…the fresh mountain air and early nights do it!
Unfortunately I could hear the rain battering on the roof…not a good start especially as today would be our only real chance to get out on the Loch. Everyone was soon up, showered, dressed and fed….oh that would be except Billy…the shower didn’t work for him so old stinky got back to nature today …no wonder there were so many flies following us around! ( the shower worked fine for Me and Jake, as long as you switched it on! )
Fortunately by the time we had our cereal and tea….and suffered a programme about BMX riding. The rain was off and the mist was climbing up over the mountains.

Jake took a bit of convincing about the weather … ( notice his sunburn from yesterday! )

so in an effort to prove how gorgeous it was I went out a wee wander in my t-shirt sleeves taking pics.
These are our neigh… bours from over the back…even the horses up here appear to wear midgie nets!

Suitable convinced we get ourselves down to the marina (in the car) and we book a boat for the full day…it was £35 for half a day or £50 for the full day..now sods law means that if we only booked half a day we would have been hauling fish in and not wanting to come back in, so for the sake of £5 each we book the whole day…also pay for 2 trout permits £6 each…no room on the boat for 3 of us to be casting so I’m just going along for the ride as it were!
The Loch looked like glass and I took loads of ‘reflection’ pictures.
You wouldn’t think this was less than an hour after the ‘misty’ picture

purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 08, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
All kitted up we are ready to launch our wee boat

The view of the lodges from the loch

…er….more ‘reflection’ pictures

It was actually quite weird trying to steer the boat when you couldn’t make out where the edges were. . . . Also quite difficult when you have a big butt blocking your view!

Alas……. 4 hours came and went without a touch from a fish, this was blamed on ‘surface tension’ as the water was so glassy their line wasn’t sinking at all…I did take a photo of a fly on the water to prove this point but it’s not a very good picture. I needed the loo and it had started to rain a wee bit so we decided to head back….what was that I was saying about sods law?

Homeward bound

After getting all the stuff back up to the Tepee, we decided to go a wee run and headed to the opposite end of the Loch to Kenmore……Er……there isn’t really anything there, we were in and out the shops in 20 minutes and a bit stuck for what to do next! As we were leaving we saw a sign for Aberfeldy so headed off there. . . . . And found about 3 of the shops open! Bearing in mind that this is a weekend and it’s the height of the holiday season, it wasn‘t very reassuring! We filled ourselves up with tea and cakes in a wee Tearoom before heading back to the Tepee and having a nap……some quiet time to dream about the fish that got away!

Although last nights dinner down in the Boathouse was fab, we wanted to try somewhere different so we went into Killin, there were lots of hotels to chose from so we chose the appropriately named Killin Hotel. it’s a grand old building and really nice inside, all open fires ( not lit ), beams and wood panelling, with old black and white photos of the Queen Mother visiting etc.
We were told we could choose from 3 dining rooms all serving the same menu…a little one with white table covers and velvet upholstery, the bar area or a very grand room with the oak panelling and an enormous fire at the far end…it looked like a dance hall! We chose to eat in the bar.
After waiting about half an hour for our order to be taken we had,
Billy: Garlic Mushrooms
Jake and Me: Haggis and Black pudding with Whisky sauce.
Our haggis was really nice but Billy’s garlic mushrooms were like snooker balls, goodness knows how many times they had be reheated or how long they had been sitting under the lights, but we waited with baited breath for one of them to go shooting across the room when he tried to put his fork into them!
Next up was our main course….no chance of being rushed in here!
Jake: Scampi and Chips….same condition as Billy’s mushrooms
Me: Chicken Special…ahem….the description made it sound exactly the same as the meal I didn’t get last night……unfortunately tonight I could only wish I hadn’t got it! A piece of dried up leather with some burned on cheese masquerading as a sauce.
Billy: haddock and chips….just edible.
Still hungry we ordered dessert.
Me: Killin Mess….Ice cream, fruit and meringue in a sundae glass, very nice
Billy: Cheesecake…also very nice ( how much damage can you do taking a cheesecake out of a box?
Jake: White coffee.
We washed that lot down with 2 large house wines, 2 bottles of Millars, 1 kronenbourg and 1 Cola. £59.25 for the worst meal I’ve ever had….and I’ve eaten at Ponderosa!
Would also like to point out that while we were in the bar, an American family of 6 were seated in the big hall, they waited an absolute age to get their orders taken and I hate to think what impression they have taken away with them.

After our meal, we went next door to the Village Pub ( they really go to town with their original names up here! ) we had a few games of pool and fed pound coins into the jukebox before heading back to the Tepee around midnight….
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 08, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely photos Myra, shame about the food.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 08, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Some lovely Loch photo's there!

Jodie
Old 19 Aug 08, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
luxorsun71
Imagineer

Lovely photos. What a pity about your meal,you'd have thought they'd have done better in such a beautiful touristy area. I'm sometimes ashamed of some of our hotels etc.
Old 19 Aug 08, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Originally Posted by luxorsun71 View Post
Lovely photos. What a pity about your meal,you'd have thought they'd have done better in such a beautiful touristy area. I'm sometimes ashamed of some of our hotels etc.
I know I was mortified for the American family
Old 20 Aug 08, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Gorgeous photos. Terrible meal though, what a pity
Old 20 Aug 08, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post

think this is the same hotel dh and i had 2 teas and rubbery scones in last year, i am not mean but was really tempted not to pay, shame you didnt catch any fish your pics are great.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 08, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List