General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Aug 08, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post

London Luxury Foodie Trip 22/23 August 2008-Part 1

Part One

Cast:

Me - Jane (51) - Birthday girl
DH - Ian (53)- Likes Eating out!

Background - This started back in May when Ian said it was time to try and get to London again to see Mamma Mia and to eat at Bentleys again! We were going to go up for the day, but it sort of elongated into an overnight stay, with another theatre trip and some meals to sort. It was then decided that this would be my Birthday present!

Friday 22nd August

We walked down to the station in Alton, planning to catch the 10.14am train, being the earliest we could take on my network rail card. We walked onto the platform and it was showing the train leaving at 10.44. What happened to the 10.14? This was going to mess our plans up a wee bit, but there wasn't a problem, the 10.14 train was sitting on the wrong platform as they had a disabled person to get on the train and so they shunted the train over. Let me explain, Alton is the end of the line (in more ways than one really, but I digress), and on a single track line till it gets to Farnham. It has two platforms as one train comes in before the other one leaves. Sorry are you still with me here? Anyway the train left on time with an ETA into Waterloo of 11.27. Our plans had been to go to Covent Garden and mooch around the stalls and for me to go to East to look and see if they had any more of the shoes that I already had 3 pairs of, and then to head for a bead store. Well being realistic, this was not going to be possible, so we quickly changed our mind and decided on an early lunch at Fortnum & Mason. So we caught the tube to Piccadily Circus and walked down to F&M. Ian bought some more coffee beans to fill up the tin we bought in January.

We wandered around the store and then headed to The Parlour on the 1st Floor.

Ian had a Prawn and Avocado with a chilli salsa - I did taste it, but there was chilli in the mayo too - but it was quite tasty.

I had a smoked chicken open sandwich with a caesar dressing - the chicken was very highly smoked, but tasty none the less.

When you order a coffee you always get a little cone of ice cream - today it was banana flavour - delicious!

Bill £34.00.

From here we went and had a look at the hampers - Ian had had an idea to send his sister one for Christmas, so we have seen one for £75. She has always been very generous to us, so Ian thought he would return the compliment. The hampers come out in October. The most expensive hamper is £25k () and it is delivered on a horse and carriage! I did ask if that was anywhere in the UK and he said yes, at that price they would do anything!

We left Fortnums and walked up Bond Street, stopping off in Tiffanys so that I could show Ian the bracelet I'd like for my next present! It's blooming expensiveat £185, when I know how much it is in America.

From here we walked to Berkley Square and onto Grosvenor Square to the Millenium Hotel, where we were staying the night. We checked in at about 1.40pm, asking if there was a kingsize room available - yes on the club floor with all sort of complimentary things, inc breakfast, for another £70 - we declined and opted for a twin room on the 2nd floor, over looking, well backing onto the back of the hotel. The room was quite tiny, but as were only sleeping there it really didn't matter.

We rested for a while and then got changed and wandered down to the reception where we were meeting my old charge - Katherine, for afternoon tea. I was Katherines' nanny for 2 years, but with the family for 4years as her brother is 2yrs older than her and he was 4 weeks old when I started looking after him. Anyway I last saw her on her 18th birthday - now 26. She is an artist, having gained a masters at the Royal Academy of Art last year. She was telling us that a few weeks ago she was asked to photgraph Brad Pitt! She was so worried that she didn't really enjoy it! Anyway here is a picture of the two of us!

We had afternoon tea in the hotel and parted comapny at 4pm - us to walk back to Piccadilly for the 5pm show of Mamma Mia and Katherine to go shopping.

Part 2 to follow:
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
dave and lesley
Imagineer

dave and lesley's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
great report jane, sounds and looks like you are having a fab time.
the food at F&M looks yummy. an ice cream cone with coffee lesley would certainly have one of those.
£25K for a hamper..wow
2010 SSR HRH, 11 SSR Cocoa beach, 12 SSR HRH,
2014 SSR GFV Wedding, 15 LBV, 17 Miami Beach
dave and lesley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

What the heck is in a £25k food hamper!

Jodie
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
coombsyl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
What the heck is in a £25k food hamper!

Jodie
Knowing me I would be out when it arrived! As I live nearby I would expect them to do it for £24K

It all sounds lovely Jane, what a great birthday pressie. I agree about Tiffanys - it is lovely but sooooo much cheaper in the USA.
Old 24 Aug 08, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Oh waht a fab start, the food looks delicious!
I was also a nanny/mothers help and recently got back in touch with my babies/charges through Bebo... I haven't seen them for nearly 20 years and I'm desperate to get back to London to see them.
off to look for more installments
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Brillant start Jane.

We're going to London in October, can't wait to try F&M's. Off to read the next installment.
Old 24 Aug 08, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dairy Queen
Imagineer

Yummy. The food looked delicious. My dd loved the mini ice cream!

Clearwater Jun 87 & Jul 88 Texas,Oklahoma & Florida Aug 89
Westridge Oct 06,07,Nov 08,Oct 09,Feb 10
West Haven 10/10,06&10/11,10/12,08/13,07/14,08&12/15,07/16,09/17,07/18, YC+DDP & Villa 09/19
Dairy Queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Ooh I like the mini ice cream cone with the coffee, a quirky but nice touch. How lovely for you meeting up with your charge.
Old 25 Aug 08, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Donalds
Apprentice Imagineer

Sound like you had a great day and the food looks so yummy

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Westridge Villa 06,07,08,09
Champions Gate Villa 10,11,12,14,16
Donalds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 08, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post

A great start!