Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Oct 08, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post

orlando taxi rip off (read before you go)

just got back from 2 weeks in orlando and due to my kids been a bit older now we choose to stay on international drive rather than disney
hotels.that weve stayed in before as the food is much better but found due to not having a car
we were getting taxi`s to parks ect. but found about 95% of taxi`s were out to rip you off .
if we got in a taxi with no meter they tended to make the price up and if we got in one with a meter they would take you the longest way they could adding an extra $10 to $15 onto fares .
also if getting a taxi to any of the disney parks you are made to pay
$12 via disney just to let the taxi drop you off (with the exception of downtown disney and magic kingdom)so from wet and wild internation drive to any disney park would cost between $35 to $50 . unless you use checker cabs but these only operate around disney parks
so my advice to anyone using taxi`s is remember fare prices and if poss routes they take so you have something to go on for the next taxi you get.
try find a high land mark near your hotel so you can see if there taking you direct or not
and dont be affraid to tell them (i did it loads of time and
they all made stupid excusses and altered fee.
i think the reason for this is at this time of year its quite and there are too many taxi`s

if you find a taxi driver you like ask them for a card so you can ring them whenever you want to go anyware (this can be done free from any of the guest services in any of the parks or shopping centers and
they with drive you around for your holiday
and once in a disney park use the disney shuttle busses if you want to go to another disney or disney water park there ever 10 mins or so and there free.
hope this helps
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 08, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

thats great advice thanks.
were not driving when we go over there, and even tho ur hotel has a shuttle bus, im not expecting it to be amazing, with times etc, so i think we also will be getting taxi's about a fair bit
Old 12 Oct 08, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I didn't know you had to pay for a taxi to drop you off.
I would get them to drop me off at one of the monorail resorts, especially the Contemporary an either walk or get the monorail to the park.

Bob
Old 12 Oct 08, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

if your staying on international drive and dont want to pay the $12 i think the nearest place is downtown disney we stayed at a hotel near wet and wild and it was $30 dollars to down town disney then use the disney buses to any park you want free
Old 12 Oct 08, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
We stayed near W&W & used Solomans taxis all the time we were there and he charged the 3 of us around 20-30dollars return depending on which Disney park we went to & how late we stayed it is a mini bus so he does do quite a few pick ups and drop offs at different hotels but he is fab and always turns up
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 08, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

We tend to stay in villas now and drive ourselves but when we stayed on I-drive we used to use transport arranged by the hotel, at least we knew the prices of the transport before we started.
Old 12 Oct 08, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We only did this one year and we always agreed a price before setting off.
Old 12 Oct 08, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Originally Posted by loopy linda View Post
We only did this one year and we always agreed a price before setting off.
We did this too. I wanted to go to Florida Mall from DTD and wouldnt go until we had a price. He said $35 and I said 'No thank you'. We agreed on $30 and when we rang for the return journey he agreed that the fare would be $30 as well. I tipped well so he was very happy.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 08, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

its best to rent a car.

Linda
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 08, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We use jjp Transport while in Orlando , He charges $30 from i drive to Disney with no Drop off fee. He is reliable , friendly and the mini van is clean and tidy.
johnny1352 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List