Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 8 Jul 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Calling DAS users, does it renew?

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I don't wish to go into details of my partners disability, as I feel its personal and not relevant to anybody as to what her disability is, however we were granted a DAS last year for the first time at Disney last year and are planning another trip in Sept.
Her condition has deteriorated since then and got slightly worse, so can I please ask how we get an updated one and how does this work?

Can they just pull our names from their system, will we still be there or will it have expired?
Do we have to go back to Customer Relations and start all over again and explain it all again from the beginning, because we didn't really fancy doing that?

Could someone please explain the process of renewal and how you go about it the easiest/quickest way possible?

Oh and p.s how does it work in regards to other parks like Universal and SeaWorld etc as didn't visit those, so wandered what their process is?

Many thanks for all your help.

Edited at 01:59 PM.
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

I think it last 14 days.
Just go back to Customer Relations to get a new one.

Universal have a similar susyem. Not sure about Seaworld.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by alvin_purple View Post
I think it last 14 days.
Just go back to Customer Relations to get a new one.

Universal have a similar susyem. Not sure about Seaworld.
Oh, does it?

So there wont be anything in the system then and i'll have to explain her disability from fresh then?

That seems REALLY silly that they don't keep you in some sort of system?

Just creates more hassle for me and more work for them/more queues.
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So I was told just last week that if you say can you renew it and that you've had it before it may still be on the system so you don't have to reexplain everything. I have no first hand experience as always assumed you had to go and ask for a new one so always have ended up reexplaining. You still go to guest relations but you just say you've had DAS on a previous trip and want to reactivate it and the info should be there. They do have to retake the photos though.

As said this was from another poster and I personally haven't tried this but will be in September as I agree its a hassle having to reexplain each time (which I have done the last 10 years lol)

Edited at 02:16 PM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
So I was told just last week that if you say can you renew it and that you've had it before it may still be on the system so you don't have to reexplain everything. I have no first hand experience as always assumed you had to go and ask for a new one so always have ended up reexplaining. You still go to guest relations but you just say you've had DAS on a previous trip and want to reactivate it and the info should be there. They do have to retake the photos though.

As said this was from another poster and I personally haven't tried this but will be in September as I agree its a hassle having to reexplain each time (which I have done the last 10 years lol)
Thankyou for that, I will give that a go and see how we get on.
Old 8 Jul 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you can mention that you had a DAS last time, and the CM will ask you when that was

even then, "renewal" (or rather, new issue) is not automatic

You'll still be in the system, because they keep track, but, the fact that you had a DAS last year does not guarantee you can get one this time

The cast member does not know why you had a DAS issued last year. Because they don't keep track of your medical records and whatever you told them. And that's a good thing those information are not stored on "The Hub" (wdw's internal network)

the only thing the Cast Member may know and verify, is that you had a DAS issued

but there are so many reasons to get DAS. Some may get it for a temporary disability or impairment.
There is no reason for the Cast Member to assume that you still meet the conditions that led the other cast member to issue you a DAS last year.

and, there is no reason for the cast member to assume that your condition has not worsened to a point that DAS is no longer an option for you, and they will direct you towards a mobility device (wheelchair or scooter)

in my experience, it will depend on the cast member who has no way of knowing if you still meet the same "requirements" for your renewal, than when you first were issued. So it will entirely depend on them if they ask you to go over the reasons you apply for DAS, or just straight up renew it no questions asked.

i've "renewed" my DAS quite a few time.
The only time I was not asked to go over my "issues" was when it was true renewal ... I mean, when they were valid for 14 days, and the stay was longer

we were told that my last DAS (august 18) was issued for 60 days

the DAS I had before was from April 18 and still, in august 18 when I asked to renew, the Cast Member asked me to "refresh" his memory as to why I needed the DAS.

Being in the system is one thing. But if DAS is issued for a limited time, that's because DAS is not issued forever, and we all know that conditions evolve. Sometimes it gets worse, sometimes it gets better, sometimes it just the same.

think of it as the ESTA ...
when you renew, you need to answer the same questions (sometimes new one) and the system will reassess if you're eligible for travel or not
you just can't go and say "I had one 2 years ago, I should be in the system, they should pull my name out and just renew without me needing to fill the form in"

we all know it's not going to happen

Edited at 09:59 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jessandjon2005 View Post
Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I don't wish to go into details of my partners disability, as I feel its personal and not relevant to anybody as to what her disability is, however we were granted a DAS last year for the first time at Disney last year and are planning another trip in Sept.
Her condition has deteriorated since then and got slightly worse, so can I please ask how we get an updated one and how does this work?

Can they just pull our names from their system, will we still be there or will it have expired?
Do we have to go back to Customer Relations and start all over again and explain it all again from the beginning, because we didn't really fancy doing that?

Could someone please explain the process of renewal and how you go about it the easiest/quickest way possible?

Oh and p.s how does it work in regards to other parks like Universal and SeaWorld etc as didn't visit those, so wandered what their process is?

Many thanks for all your help.
It cant be too much time out of the holiday to explain why you need extra help within the park, Disney didnt ask us too many questions at all this year, so i think they may have something on record for her, seaworld definetly remembered her, even back to trips in 2012, and very quick to give assistance pass. UNiversal, although they have been great in the past this year were very difficult, only issued pass for one day and asking loads of questions, made me feel awkward tbh, especially as DD was right by me at the time, so i just passed letters to him from consultant/ hospital which he didnt read, ( and probably without medical background wouldnt have understood!) but then issued the pass.
Old 9 Jul 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Seaworld definitely keep everything on record, when we gave our sons name they noticed we'd been to the San Diego park the year before and asked which one we preferred. The whole process of renewal was quick and friendly - unlike Universal 😡😡😡
At Disney we generally say we would like to renew our DAS, they normally ask if our son still has the same problems and issue us with a new one without fuss.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

DS got his DAS when they first changed to them from GAC. Since then I’ve never had to explain his issues for reason of a DAS.
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Disney are usually very quick, a few minutes last time and that was that.

SeaWorld were also very quick. But when we went back in 2016 it was so quiet I didn’t bother.

Universal we’re great in 15 and 16. And hell last year. I ended up crying in the guest services inside the park after how rude the man was to me on the entrance. The girls in there were lovely though and it got sorted. But not after a day of being in agony and suffering.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List