Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Same links say
  • The retailer has 45 days to dispute a reversed transaction
  • They also have a further 60 days to gather evidence

Which new news to me...

So it seems after 30 days you can raise it with FO but the provider has a total of 105 days if they wish to faff!

So I think the advice to raise it with FO at 30 days is sound.
I can't see Thomas Cook using the 105 days
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anneeb View Post
I can't see Thomas Cook using the 105 days
Oh I was rushing around earlier and misread it I thought it was talking about the bank

So the 30 day thing is all we have to concern ourselves with
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I got it from Martin Lewis

I just quickly googled to get you some links and I find these two confirming the same advice:

claimscore/guides/...ction-75-claim

telegraph/finance/...-its-mind.html
  • There is no time limit for card providers to consider your claim, although you can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) after 30 days
Same links say
  • The retailer has 45 days to dispute a reversed transaction
  • They also have a further 60 days to gather evidence

Which new news to me...

So it seems after 30 days you can raise it with FO but the provider has a total of 105 days if they wish to faff!

So I think the advice to raise it with FO at 30 days is sound.
I would urge a bit of caution here - partly because Martin Lewis is not always totally accurate with the "advice" he gives.

Whilst the article you've linked to (which is by another journalist) quotes 30 days, the usual process with FOS is that they won't consider a complaint until you have been through the provider's own complaint process - they then have 8 weeks to either give a final response or advise if they will need longer - at this stage if you are either unhappy with the response given, or not happy to wait longer, you can raise with FOS.

On the FOS website they say the following in relation to Section 75: (financial-ombudsman... -bought-credit

How to complain

Speak to your credit provider first - they'll be able to look into the issue and tell you if they can help. If you're unhappy with their response, or they don't respond, you can come to us with your complaint.

They then provide a link to their "How to Complain" section which sets out the process as above. Link to that section is here:

financial-ombudsman... ow-to-complain

I can't see the 30 days referenced anywhere by FOS and would be more inclined to rely on their own advice than that of a journalist who can't validate the source of the advice they're giving.

Not trying to be awkward, just think it's best that people are aware.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I don't think your being awkward at all

How to complain

Speak to your credit provider first - they'll be able to look into the issue and tell you if they can help.

Yup done this

If you're unhappy with their response, or they don't respond, you can come to us with your complaint.

Great - so after 30 days if I don't get a response I like or I think it is taking too long I can complain

Yeah that link is really good - does seem officially we might have to wait a full 8 weeks! 56 days in total! Sod it though - im doing at after 30 There must be something in what the three sources of information I read

Edited at 10:46 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
I don't think your being awkward at all And I don't think their how to complain section disagrees with what I have been told / saying...

How to complain

Speak to your credit provider first - they'll be able to look into the issue and tell you if they can help.

Yup done this

If you're unhappy with their response, or they don't respond, you can come to us with your complaint.

Great - so after 30 days if I don't get a response I like or I think it is taking too long I can complain

Where are you getting the 8 week bit from as I cant find it on the website - cheers!
Sorry, you have to click on some of the other highlighted links - specific bits about time limits are here:

financial-ombudsman... ct/time-limits

These are the standard within the Financial Services industry - so you'll need to specifically raise it as a formal complaint so the provider will instigate their complaints procedure - that's when the 8 week requirement starts.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Sorry, you have to click on some of the other highlighted links - specific bits about time limits are here:

financial-ombudsman... ct/time-limits

These are the standard within the Financial Services industry - so you'll need to specifically raise it as a formal complaint so the provider will instigate their complaints procedure - that's when the 8 week requirement starts.
Thanks I edited my post as I worked it out but you was too quick for me
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

So do the CC have 30 days or 8 weeks?
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Thanks I edited my post as I worked it out but you was too quick for me
Yeah, just seen that - nothing to stop you trying after 30, but it's likely to be knocked back - As part of the online complaint form you have to tell FOS the date you raised the complaint with the provider (not the date you submitted your S75 claim), and confirm if they have provided their final written response. If you are less than 8 weeks from raising the complaint and the answer re the final response is no, they'll simply bounce it back to you and tell you to wait.

Again, I'm not trying to be obtuse, just managing expectations about how the process works.

Martin Lewis is, unfortunately, wrong about things a lot more frequently than most people realise.
Old 30 Sep 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Yeah, just seen that - nothing to stop you trying after 30, but it's likely to be knocked back - As part of the online complaint form you have to tell FOS the date you raised the complaint with the provider (not the date you submitted your S75 claim), and confirm if they have provided their final written response. If you are less than 8 weeks from raising the complaint and the answer re the final response is no, they'll simply bounce it back to you and tell you to wait.

Again, I'm not trying to be obtuse, just managing expectations about how the process works.

Martin Lewis is, unfortunately, wrong about things a lot more frequently than most people realise.
Wasn't just Martin Lewis though - those two links as well...

I take it all on board but I think as a group we should still try and apply as much pressure as possible. Thanks for your help.
Old 30 Sep 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Let's just hope our credit card providers come through for us and we don't have to worry about raising anything
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List