Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Mar 18, 03:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

My car received a huge dent in the back this week with the wing hanging off. It was parked in an almost empty car park. Fortunately gave a nil excess policy, insurance assessor said worst case scenario £4 k to repair it'll need a new bumper parking sensors wing and possibly new boot door. The police gave viewed the CCTV and albeit see my car shunt forward, it's dark so they couldn't see by what. If that wasn't annoying enough because it was dark we didn't see the damage until we got home, police said we returned 2 mins after it had happened!
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Bear in mind that you still have to report this repair to your insurer even if you don't use you insurance to pay for it
Are you sure? This wasn't a "collision" - which you do have to report regardless of claiming or not.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Annoys me how folk just fling doors open without any regard what might be just outside - like our car!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Annoys me how folk just fling doors open without any regard what might be just outside - like our car!
Geoff. Reminds me of my late Mum. Anybody open a car door into her lane she's took it off!
She did 3 doors in 10 years. At her funeral I had the congregation in hysterics about her driving skills, or rather lack of!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I wonder if the trolley collector did it by accident, you know when they go with loads of trolleys in a line. Although they haven't said anything seems more common that a deliberate act.

Saying that a lone trolley has rolled into our car before now and its amazing the amount of damage they do just being caught with the wind! We had a big dent and paint work needed doing.
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
I wonder if the trolley collector did it by accident, you know when they go with loads of trolleys in a line. Although they haven't said anything seems more common that a deliberate act.
My money would be on the trolley collector too. The scrapes look like a trolley but to have creased the metal, it would have to have been pushed into the car with a bit of weight behind it.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The position of the scrape, I think it wasn’t the trolley collector. They also know our car as the wife does work in the store. The scrape was between two car bays.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Are you sure? This wasn't a "collision" - which you do have to report regardless of claiming or not.
It doesn't need to be reported to the police but any "loss" has to be reported to your insurer.

You are free to choose not to, but if in a later incident they discover that their exposure is larger due to a bad repair from a previous incident that wasn't disclosed they are (and most probably will) within their rights to refuse cover
Old 31 Mar 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It doesn't need to be reported to the police but any "loss" has to be reported to your insurer.

You are free to choose not to, but if in a later incident they discover that their exposure is larger due to a bad repair from a previous incident that wasn't disclosed they are (and most probably will) within their rights to refuse cover
Not sure this is correct. What about fixing stone chips, wheel kerb damage etc? Where is the "line"
I have never in 30 years been asked about this - I have been asked about accidents where I didn't claim, but not damage such as this. My sister works in insurance and will ask her as this is an interesting one and it might be useful to get the answer.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Not sure this is correct. What about fixing stone chips, wheel kerb damage etc? Where is the "line"
I have never in 30 years been asked about this - I have been asked about accidents where I didn't claim, but not damage such as this. My sister works in insurance and will ask her as this is an interesting one and it might be useful to get the answer.
I would argue this is an accident - two objects that were capable of moving collided. There really is no difference here to if another car had collided with you whilst parked - that would be a declarable event so why not the trolley

I'd be keen to hear what your sister has to say, I'm assuming she works in underwriting or compliance as these would be the only people in the business who would know - the rest just follow the scripts that these two put together