Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

fascia,soffit and gutter replacement costs

hi everyone, iam considering replacing all our fascia,soffits and gutters over to pvc, have no idea on price or whats a decent quote, has anyone had this done recently and would mind sharing there approx quotes for work done. I have just had my first quote also includes replacing some tudor board on the front of the house coming it at £3500 incl scaffolding, we have a detached house, any advice would be great.
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

That sounds cheap to me,
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

We have just paid £3k inc scaffolding 4 bed detached x
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can't give an idea on price, but be aware that I've known some builders to fix/bodge the UPVC soffits over the existing wooden soffits.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I can't give an idea on price, but be aware that I've known some builders to fix/bodge the UPVC soffits over the existing wooden soffits.
This is for complete replacement, existing wood will be coming off.
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsnicola View Post
We have just paid £3k inc scaffolding 4 bed detached x
Thanks it,s just to give me a rough idea what to aim for.
Old 28 Nov 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
That is what has happened to the house we bought last year. All is rotten underneath and needs everything replaced now, as bits are sagging and falling off, end caps are held on with mastic, total bodge job and company have folded so although the previous owners took out insurance no one to go to and it wasn't cheap either. We are budgetting between £5-7k for it all to be totally ripped off, scaffolding, disposal and replacement in Upvc assuming no further work needed into the roof We are in Wiltshire so if anyone has any info that would be great, thanks.
Old 28 Nov 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As long as the fascia and soffits aren't rotten they don't need to come off. If rotten then yes but firstly an investigation is needed as to why they are rotten.

Total waste of time and money to remove them and actually isn't such a good job as skinning over. I have seen more fascias that have come off in storms that are uPVC fixed direct to the rafter ends than skinned over fascias that are fixed every foot to existing wooden boards.

Standard boards tend to be 18mm thick whereas capping boards for skinning over are 9mm thick so you are paying a ton more for 9mm!

The way to reduce costs is to find a team that don't use scaffolding. A few teams I know are using the double ladder method with the angle brackets and then a metal extension between the 2 ladders that you walk on
Saves a ton of money and is quicker. This is how my house was done.

Costs vary wildly but I had my house done circa 10 years ago and they also did the garage and I paid under a grand supply and fix. I knew they were short of work at the time so haggled them down from £1300.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 04:41 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As long as the fascia and soffits aren't rotten they don't need to come off. If rotten then yes but firstly an investigation is needed as to why they are rotten.

Total waste of time and money to remove them and actually isn't such a good job as skinning over. I have seen more fascias that have come off in storms that are uPVC fixed direct to the rafter ends than skinned over fascias that are fixed every foot to existing wooden boards.

Standard boards tend to be 9mm thick whereas capping boards for skinning over are 5mm thick so you are paying a ton more for 4mm!

The way to reduce costs is to find a team that don't use scaffolding. A few teams I know are using the double ladder method with the angle brackets and then a metal extension between the 2 ladders that you walk on
Saves a ton of money and is quicker. This is how my house was done.

Costs vary wildly but I had my house done circa 10 years ago and they also did the garage and I paid under a grand supply and fix. I knew they were short of work at the time so haggled them down from £1300.
I didnt think the old ones needed removing if they were in good condition, I'm glad you confirmed. We had ours fitted when we had a side extension 12 years ago, lucky only paid for materials BIL did them.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
I didnt think the old ones needed removing if they were in good condition, I'm glad you confirmed. We had ours fitted when we had a side extension 12 years ago, lucky only paid for materials BIL did them.
Correct. Nothing wrong with skinning over wood - as long as it is good quality and sound

Skin over and cap the screws or nails with plastic caps.

There are 3 extensions gone up near me over the Summer. Different builders and they all put up wooden fascias and then skinned them.

The beauty of doing it this way is your gutter clips can go anywhere as the gutter screws end up biting in to the wood behind

If you just use uPVC fascias the gutter screws end up gripping in plastic only which means they rip out when the gutters get overloaded in a storm. Happens a lot.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List