Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

What phone does your child/teen have?

Hi,
I am thinking of getting my daughter a phone for Christmas. I already have a spare SIM attached to my own contract, just need a smart phone. Can anyone recommend a phone (not an iPhone).
I have a Huawei P...something lite I think and I like that, but it's probably a bit more than I want to pay for her. Basically, I would prefer to pay less than 100, but if everything under 100 is rubbish then I guess could go up to 150. I know nothing - everytime I get a new phone the shop people basically see me coming and sell me whatever they are on commission to get rid of that week.
My other alternative is to upgrade myself in February and give her my phone - perhaps that would be better. I don't know!
Thanks!
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Carphone warehouse had a good pffer on a huawei p30 lite through topcashback, although would mean seperate sim. It was £100 cash back on the phone, which made the phone about £70 over the course of contract 2 years.
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Once at secondary school mind always had iPhones same as most of their friends , they usually got upgraded every two years

How old is she ?
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Once at secondary school mind always had iPhones same as most of their friends , they usually got upgraded every two years

How old is she ?
My youngest is at secondary now, last year she had a basic phone but we got her an iPhone for her birthday as she said that's what most people had, she's doing well looking after it, so far, but she's so clumsy so I took out insurance lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have a redmi which is similar to Huwei but cheaper. Some of our teens have it too. We are not an iPhone family, techie son wouldn't support us if we did.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Is there a reason for no iPhone ? Most children will want an iPhone as that is the one most of their friends will have. My daughter has an iPhone 7, her contract is up soon and she will get an iPhone 11. Not the top of the range, I won’t pay anymore than £25 a month. Have a look on Uswitch for deals or maybe Game/CEX for a good quality second hand phone.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

I've got a Samsung A10, it cost around £130, it does everything that I want it to do. I can make calls, texts, look on the internet, it takes really good photos, I use it as a satnav, play games on it.

My DH has an Iphone, through work, but I can't understand why anyone would pay £800 plus for a phone when a much cheaper one does the same stuff. Luckily for me my son thinks the same and he has a moto g8 plus, which cost around £225 last year.
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My 18 and 16 year olds both have iPhone se. My 11 year old will be getting one of our old iPhone 6s when he goes to high school next year to begin with.
jndt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

How old is she ?
She is in Y6. I was trying to avoid putting age in the OP as I thought everyone might judge me! She walks to school and back by herself (since beginning Y5) and goes to the shops/market by herself or with her friends. In September when she goes to secondary she'll be travelling by tube or bus.

Oh man do all the kids have iPhones?
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
She is in Y6. I was trying to avoid putting age in the OP as I thought everyone might judge me! She walks to school and back by herself (since beginning Y5) and goes to the shops/market by herself or with her friends. In September when she goes to secondary she'll be travelling by tube or bus.

Oh man do all the kids have iPhones?
Nope and they have never been teased for their phones, believe me I'd be the one they'd whinge to if they did.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List