Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jul 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Im one of them 3 and im 5foot7 average build and go just over 13stone. I know this as my dr tells me every time i see him, he gets upset when i point out he is bigger than me.
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

My friend died today just 55 years old, obese and with many weight related health problems. She did eat too much and was too overweight to exercise. She was a friendly, helpful kind person who would help everyone and never had a bad word to say about anyone. I know she would never post criticism on a public forum about anyone for their weight/looks etc Her life was a good life, albeit too short and she was not a strain on the NHS, in fact her FB page had a fundraiser link for another family whose child was very sick as she was such a caring person. It’s shocking to criticise people just because they are overweight

And yes, I’m overweight too

Edited at 06:17 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
I thought it was frightening that within a generation we have turned from a country of "skinnies" in the 70s to where we are now basically the most obese country in Europe. It's annoys me because it can so easily be avoided.
Heck people on here get annoyed by the most simple things like tipping, reclining, refunds can I not be annoyed that se are probably the unhealthiest country in Europe?
Yes but in the 70’s we didn’t have Pringles, Magnums, starbars and all
the other good things in life 😊
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
I'm off to Sainsbury's later, anyone want anything? 😂I'll be the one without a mask 😂
Cornish Clotted Cream and a punnet of Strawberries please

Disney332
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Cornish Clotted Cream and a punnet of Strawberries please

Disney332
Okey dokey 😄... just deleted my post because it was below the sad one 🙈
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
My friend died today just 55 years old, obese and with many weight related health problems. She did eat too much and was too overweight to exercise. She was a friendly, helpful kind person who would help everyone and never had a bad word to say about anyone. I know she would never post criticism on a public forum about anyone for their weight/looks etc Her life was a good life, albeit too short and she was not a strain on the NHS, in fact her FB page had a fundraiser link for another family whose child was very sick as she was such a caring person. It’s shocking to criticise people just because they are overweight

And yes, I’m overweight too
Sorry for your loss DD, your friend sounds lovely ❤️
It’s what is on the inside that matters 💐💐
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

*waddles to the corner in shame*

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

I think we have to wake up to obesity being a real problem in the UK. I remember my first trip to Florida (1976) and seeing real obesity for the first time. It's no longer shocking because we have the same problems here.

Anecdotally there are always people who say they are statistically morbidly obese but have never been ill/had a day off/cost the NHS. The facts are that you are more likely to be ill, and suffer more, if you are overweight. Facts.

Now, I think adults can choose to eat more, not exercise and live with the consequences but the real tragedy is childhood obesity. Compare school photos from even 2000 to 2020 and look at the difference in children. It is so sad.

A lot of it is education. We don't know enough about nutrition to understand what is good food, and what is bad food. We don't learn how to cook real food. We've let playgrounds and parks be built on so there are fewer places to play. There are hardly any free activities for kids that lets them run off steam (when I was at school a looooong time ago I had a different after school club every night! As one of five kids there was no way my parents could have funded sports etc.

So better education on nutrition, better access to sport and exercise, and unpopular as it is, we have to stop making excuses and blaming the government, the food producers, the advertisers. In almost every case, obesity is the result of choices.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We had a work colleague who was classed a morbidly obese, she passed away in her early 50's after a short illness a few years ago. Our office has undergone a deep clean before our return and we found an old Christmas card from her which was really sad

Edited at 06:28 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
"Compare school photos from even 2000 to 2020 and look at the difference in children. It is so sad."

It's really sad. Our 1971 under 14s football team photo has the one lad in it who was thought of as fat. He wasnt in any way fat compared to today. There is no excuse for children being like this, people can talk about parents not having time, too many sugary and fatty foods, advertising, lack of money etc. Its really sad to see kids being unhealthy unnecessarily.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List