Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
This is mine, sorry the mid landing shot is dark, it’s that time of day. It’s in keeping with our 100 year old Arts and Crafts Era house. We bought it 3 years ago and it had received no love or attention for more than 25 years; we inherited a hideous dark green worn stairs and landing carpet, with dark wood bannisters and grey walls (hastily done to sell we thought). We could have gone for the wood and carpet runner look as the stairs were in great condition but I just thought of all the dust gathering at the sides and underneath
This is my transformation:

We used to have an Edwardian house and I loved the staircase. I love curved hand rails like yours.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
You would collapse if you knew how old my hall and stairs landing was but it was expensive back then, it's still in good condition and I have no intention of changing it. It's plain burgundy and only yesterday I thought how well it looks after hoovering.
I personally would have reservations about wooden stairs, but I'm quite clumsy.
My old carpet was down for 30 years and in great condition, dw wanted a change (can’t think why) new carpet been down 5 years now needs replacing! We are having wood laminate through hall but carpet again on stairs, I will choose this time, I want it to last more than five years, I will accept 10
Old 20 Aug 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post

We have wooden stair treads, not all noisy but I do worry when the small grandchildren go up and down but I would worry about any stairs
Beautiful! I can only dream of a staircase like yours 💕
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
I do think they look beautiful but the though of someone sliding down them in socks would worry me! The noise would also be a concern if you allow shoes indoors!
If you like your current carpet and theres nothing wrong with it I would be spending my money elsewhere!
My 7 year old is always running around in socks, so I have visions of him having a nasty accident if we had wooden stairs.
Our current carpet looks great from a distance but he centre tread area is worn down / flat if that makes sense. Because it is striped to can not actually see it but we are starting to feel the grippers on our heals when bare footed. 😩
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Wooden staircases by their very nature 'flex' slightly. That creates vibration hence increased noise.

So come down quickly and the vibration increases and thus the noise also increases.

The stairs Munmum has shown (stunning) have a metal frame that will be bolted/concreted down and the treads will also be bolted onto the frame. Very little movement, therefore will be quiet.

Would I have non carpeted stairs? No sorry. Carpet keeps noise down, absorbs the echo if the hall and landing are stark and if one slips are a darn site more safe.
Noise would not actually be an issue as there are never any shoes on in the house and we are detached so no bothering neighbours. Although I would probably eat my words when my children start going out clubbing and coming home in the early hours 😂
Its safety thats the real issue. The more I think about it, the more I worry.

I just wish there was a magic carpet that did not flatten with foot traffic 😩
Old 20 Aug 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
My old carpet was down for 30 years and in great condition, dw wanted a change (can’t think why) new carpet been down 5 years now needs replacing! We are having wood laminate through hall but carpet again on stairs, I will choose this time, I want it to last more than five years, I will accept 10
They don't make things like they used to!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We will be replacing our stairs and landing carpet once the bathroom has been redone so like you have been looking at options.

We will probably end up with something like this

But if the wooden treads underneath the carpet are in a fairly good condition then I’d really love something like these

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
We will be replacing our stairs and landing carpet once the bathroom has been redone so like you have been looking at options.

We will probably end up with something like this

But if the wooden treads underneath the carpet are in a fairly good condition then I’d really love something like these

I really like that look but decided against for us as I hate cleaning and saw it as a dust gatherer and vacuuming the stairs is my least favourite household chore

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Ours are fairly traditional with a plain grey carpet but suits our Edwardian house, would love a carpet runner but hate dusting!

Old 20 Aug 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Ours are fairly traditional with a plain grey carpet but suits our Edwardian house, would love a carpet runner but hate dusting!

Love the stairs and also the stain glass window
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List