Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Feb 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridababy16
Trainee Dibber

Ski Holidays

Good Morning

Do we have any ski holiday experts on here. I really fancy a ski holiday. It will be me, DH and 2 DD'. I am thinking February 2021 - half term. The children are desperate to go.

I have priced up Austria for a week, B&B, flights, ski passes, ski wear, 4 days ski tuition - £4100. I have no idea whether this price is reasonable - what are your thoughts. Who do you book with and are there any ski holiday must haves? Can we go for any cheaper taking into account what we will need?

Thanks in advance
Floridababy16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
TheTink
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Hello I am from Austria (hopefully not get banned from the Dibb &#128540, so hope I can help you.
The price varies a lot depending on where are you going to and where your hotel is located (near the gondolas, ... )
Don't know if you have priced up the skis, ski boot rental in the term ski wear.
And you should definitely get a helmet (you can rent one) for everyone.
If you have special questions , you are welcome
TheTink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

We always book our Ski holiday via Crystal Ski - but we only book Flights & Accommodation & Transfer through them.

Try to look at the price of lift passes in your chosen resort and determine whether it is better to purchase these yourself or via your travel agent. (Lift passes are NOT cheap).

We always, always book our skis & boots separately as you can find decent deals. We always use alpinresorts.com or skiset.com
I would advise buying your own helmets - you don't want someone else's smelly sweat in your hair really.

If you've never had a ski holiday before then you'll need lessons. Having some at an indoor slope is a good idea before you go but you'll need some in resort also. Again, price this up yourself to determine if booking yourself is cheaper - this will largely depend on whether you want private instruction for your family or whether you want to be part of a bigger group.

Lastly, Ski holidays are no fun without any snow. So make sure you go to a snow-sure resort (ie one that will have snow).

Edited at 10:41 AM.
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Hi,
Not sure if you have skied before. If not - it is amazing!
I have been going for a couple of decades - mainly in France/Austria/Italy.
Personally, I like snowsure resorts where snow is almost guaranteed. So that is resorts at 2000m ish. I dont want to be worrying whether there is going to be snow when I have spent thousands.
My favourite by a mile is the Espace Killy region - Tignes & Val d'sire.
The one downside of high resorts is that they are a bit open. But you can also ski down to lower altitudes where there are trees etc that give some shelter in bad weather.

Your price isn't too bad.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

Our best holidays have been skiing - and i include several Disney holidays!

£4k for 4 people is pretty good and for a first timer, it's probably good to do a package. You can wait until nearer the time and look at igluski or fasttrackski who sell off unbought packages for around half the price. You wouldn't get the same choice of resorts but we have never been disappointed. (except when we went to Bulgaria but we would have been disappointed no matter who we went with. At least it was cheap!)

If your children are young then Esprit Ski is a fantastic operator.

Aldi is good for ski gear.

Warning - when you've been once you'll want to go back!
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

a grand each, all booked

i'd take that & not have the hassle of pricing stuff up individual for the first time/blind as it where

once you know the crack you can tailor to suit next visit

a bit like going to florida first time good idea to get a package to get the general idea
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are off to Austria on Saturday,

Price you have is very good, we always do DIY but doubt you will get much cheaper.

What resort are you thinking.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I find it harder to do diy with ski holidays as a lot of the hotels block book their rooms for tour operators. It does depend of the resort though, some are a lot easier. Mozine for example there are loads of apartments to rent, transfer is easy from gva.
£1k each all in is good for half term. A weeks passes can be £300 on their own let alone tuition.

I would try and do a course here before you go so you actually get to enjoy the slopes other than just the nursery one.

What resort is it?
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely a brilliant holiday, am off at the end of March with my son.

Consider Easter, rather than half term. Often cheaper, often sunnier (nice for learning).

You won't NEED a massive resort, as you won't use most of it for your first week, so no need to pay for stuff you won't use.

Have a look at SnowTrex or SunWeb. Great deals, and generally include lift pass.

Look at ebay and/or FB Market place for good price gear, especially in the coming weeks as the season draws to an end. Otherwise, get to a Decathlon store - great prices for decent kit.

Oh, and be prepared to love it say goodbye to Florida for a while...
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I think that's a really good price for 4 of you at Feb Half term.

I doubt you'd have to worry too much about being a snow sure resort as there should be plenty of it around in February. Easter would be different and definitely go high then.

Although I usually book independent I have used Inghams in the past and heard good things about Sunweb.

You can sometimes pick up decent ski wear for good prices at TK Maxx and Aldi.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List