Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Garden planting advice please

We’re doing some work in the garden over the next week or so and I’m totally clueless when it comes to plants, I’m hoping someone can provide some advice.

We have 1 flower bed at the moment with some plants that we put in a little while ago but have now decided after cutting back some conifers that they actually need to come out and more plants be added.

We’ve got a south facing garden so there’s a lot of sun on our flower beds and the tree takes a lot of the water, so I think this is why many things we plant don’t last well.

Here are a couple of pictures, excuse the bins, dh is currently taking out a concrete base they were sitting on and they were too heavy for me to move.

I was hoping a hydrangea would work but don’t know if it’ll survive there.

Also has anybody used gardening express for plants? Are they any good? Or where would you recommend to buy online for delivery?

I’ve picked out the following from their site but don’t know if they’re suitable.

Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

Only had bad experiences with Gardening Express. Thompson & Morgan, Suttons are good; Crocus is great.

Hydrangeas are pretty robust. The Hebe is lovely. Both of these are good choices - minimal attention required!

Hostas are a feast for snails and a real ≈≈≈≈≈≈ to remove once they have taken root. I ended up paying someone to remove two of mine after slipping a disc. They were really unsightly with their munched leaves! If you don't have slugs and snails you might have better luck.

What about a cordyline, choisya or pieris?
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hebes yes. Hydrangeas are lovely, but meed so much watering and would suit a north facing garden better. Hostas need slug protection.
Lots of nice hardy shrubs will do better in full sun. And herbs like rosemary. Lavender, and escalonia. Spirea. Look under sun loving plants. Don't try to fight nature. It will be hard work and a waste of money and effort .
Old 29 Jun 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I would always buy from a local garden nursery if you can, and try and go regularly so that you have things that are in flower through the seasons.

My favourites -
Huechras - offering colour all year round, a small contained shrub, that also flowers too in the summer. They come in so many different colours too!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 09:09 PM.
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I'm still waiting for my plants from gardening Express, I ordered them 12th May, nothing ' Express ' about them .
Many hydrangeas like a bit of shade , same with hostas. I've bought 2 gorgeous hebes from garden beauty ( one of the fastest to deliver during lockdown) they should be able to cope with sun. I also love heuchera and have bought several unusual colours from heucheraholics , reasonably priced and quick delivery. Both sites tell you what conditions each plant needs, so you can search for something suitable for your border.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'd go for a climber per fence panel so rose and clematis. Gives green height.

I was advised by a good friend to buy a plant from supermarket each time I shop or 1 per month. Then its forced seasonality and supermarkets tend to have the easy to grow plants ... and are cheap! The key is watering daily.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi take your photos and go to the local gardening centre. You will get the best advice there.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

I think gardening express are expensive!

Have you seen the gardens on a roll - gardenonaroll
They do them at Homebase as well apparently but they're really good if you're not sure what to plant or where!
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all.

I popped to BandQ in the end and searched out plants that like sun.

I did get a hydrangea as I really like them, we put that in a new flower bed where the soil isn’t as dry.

Thanks for all the advice.

I’ll pop some pictures up, it’s not quite finished though as we didn’t manage to get the last three planted as it got late.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile