Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Nov 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Anyone thinking about their membership?

Recently i've been evaluating our DVC membership with everything going on. It's not like me at all, but sometimes even entertaining the idea of selling.

I doubt i'd ever go through with that, but am i the only one currently ruminating about the future of their membership in the current climate? I know there is a vaccine on the horizon but still a good few years away before that impacts anything. Currently booked to go in April 21 and the thought of another cancelled trip just leaves me feeling despondent about it all...

I think if I did sell and travel to the US returned to normal, i'd be in eternal regret.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
yozza1977
Getting Excited

I'm not as positive as some of the posters on the current virus forum and think travel to the US in 2021 will be 50/50 (we have August booked, but I'm expecting it not to go ahead) and will feel compromised - masks on 9 hour flight, masks in the parks etc. However, i do think by 2022 things will be much more normal and therefore I'm not considering selling.

If 2021 doesn't happen I'll rent my points as I did this year and actually make money rather than spending it on holidays. I may even plan multiple visits in 2022 to make up for it!
yozza1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by yozza1977 View Post
I'm not as positive as some of the posters on the current virus forum and think travel to the US in 2021 will be 50/50 (we have August booked, but I'm expecting it not to go ahead) and will feel compromised - masks on 9 hour flight, masks in the parks etc. However, i do think by 2022 things will be much more normal and therefore I'm not considering selling.

If 2021 doesn't happen I'll rent my points as I did this year and actually make money rather than spending it on holidays. I may even plan multiple visits in 2022 to make up for it!
I guess ultimately that's probably what we'd do, but I had a sort of mental resignation that if we can't go by the end of this year we'll never go. Feeling (hoping) that those thoughts were unfounded and travel will rebound quicker than the experts predict. We rolled our points to upgrade our stay in April, and was looking forward to the 3rd attempt but now I feel like it will be such a downer to move to a 4th attempt.

I'm sure i'll just get over every time we cancel again over the coming years, as i have eventually each time we cancelled this year, but I don't know, i'm just feeling *meh* about it all? 😭
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We keep flip flopping TBH, I've mentioned this before but will re-iterate, what is scary is the amount that it still costs you to have that holiday even though in theory you don't have accommodation costs:
Flights & Disney passes = £2000- £2500 ( 2 Adults)
Food we generally allocate £100/day = £2100
If you then factor in a car you are easily £5k before any spending money... & that's every year ! £400-£500 a month not including the £100 for our dues
We are currently going next May, it was either that or lose a load of points due to our cancelled Sept booking but for the first time I'm looking at the costs & thinking Plus due to the 50% rule we have had to pay for another Hotel
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
We keep flip flopping TBH, I've mentioned this before but will re-iterate, what is scary is the amount that it still costs you to have that holiday even though in theory you don't have accommodation costs:
Flights & Disney passes = £2000- £2500 ( 2 Adults)
Food we generally allocate £100/day = £2100
If you then factor in a car you are easily £5k before any spending money... & that's every year ! £400-£500 a month not including the £100 for our dues
We are currently going next May, it was either that or lose a load of points due to our cancelled Sept booking but for the first time I'm looking at the costs & thinking Plus due to the 50% rule we have had to pay for another Hotel
SD
I wonder if when we can start using it again it will reinforce why we bought in to begin with. It was never an investment so if we just ended up renting it out for years on end we'd think seriously about selling!
Old 11 Nov 20, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

In my mind I’m thinking Jan2022. I had planned for February 2021 as it will be my 60th birthday so would have been nice. I’ve banked this years points and I have a February use year so the points will need to be used by then or rented out.
I’ve never rented out before so I wouldn’t really know where to start
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
In my mind I’m thinking Jan2022. I had planned for February 2021 as it will be my 60th birthday so would have been nice. I’ve banked this years points and I have a February use year so the points will need to be used by then or rented out.
I’ve never rented out before so I wouldn’t really know where to start
I have a Feb use year too and we can all help you figure out renting your points

As to the OP, yes, I think had we not sold our original 2003 points some years ago we would be seriously considering selling now (prefer less WDW trips to other places, frankly!)

But we did sell and I ended up regretting it so I will not be quick to do it again - I’d just rent on the years we didn’t use them.
Old 12 Nov 20, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

My current plan is to wait until March. If it seems like it won't happen, i'll begrudgingly switch our April trip to August. If that one falls through a 4th time, I will look into selling 🙄
Old 12 Nov 20, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We’ve got our 230 October 2020 points to bank and hopefully holidaying in May 2021.
Old 12 Nov 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I was seriously considering selling our 3 contracts after our October trip this year, even before Covid hit. I rented some of my released points and will bank the remainder as we have now booked flights for April 2022. Will seriously again consider selling after that.

Will definitely sell my VGC contract but can only do so once I have rented them out in order to reimburse a dibber who had rented them previously

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC

Edited at 08:10 AM.
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List