Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Nov 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

Ideas help

Hi, we love Florida and have been 6 times and going again next year however before the kids grow and dont want to come wed like to go to California.
Our oldest is 14 now and youngest 8 now with 3 sandwiched in the middle.
Wed like to do California Disneyland, possibly universal if its worth it, LA sightseeing tour (just because) and knotsberrt farm for my husband nostalgia (went when he was 12)
My husband would also like to do San Francisco but I worry its too much in one holiday..,
Any thoughts and on where best to stay?
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I guess its a question of whether you are seeking an LA holiday or a California Holiday, just like people decide between an Orlando Holiday or a Florida holiday. In both cases, the two are totally different. In both cases, I would always opt for State, rather than City.

Whilst we are all totally different in what we may seek, I would struggle with just LA. On our 2018 vacation, we covered SFO, Monterey, Valencia, Anaheim, San Diego, Long beach, Santa Monica and Hollywood tour (see trippie in my signature). One thing that we all agreed on was that we did not like the LA parts at all, much preferring the rest.
Disney? A day in each park was more than enough for us.

As in your question, SFO is 400 miles beautiful drive from Anaheim. If I was following your initial plan, then I would sooner take a regional flight from LAX to SFO, then leave from SFO. You really do not need a car in San Francisco, they are expensive to park and the 4 days or so of car hire will pay for your internal flights in any case.

If looking for a further city after LA and not wishing a further flight, then I would do the 100 miles to San Diego. For us, it was the pick of the places we visited.

Next August we return to California (and Arizona and Nevada) we start at San Francisco and whilst we are visiting LA, it is only for Universal and Warner bros before flying out of Burbank to Tucson. 2 days LA is more than enough for us! You can pick up more info in the Pre trip report in my signature, covering research, hotels etc etc.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

That does help and actually My husband recalls LA with no fondness but feel we should :-)
I think your trip ticks the boxes
We want to go to Disney but also sanfrancsico and if Im honest Id like a few down days to chill casually whereas Florida is always on the go!
(Next year as I work in school and 2020 sucks I booked to go to Fl for 5 weeks so thinking about things to go in Florida away from the parks as we are going the last 2 weeks when hubby comes out)

Im definitely checking out the report!

Thank you
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
The first time we went, we spent 4 days in San Francisco, 4 days in Vegas and then 6 days in LA. We flew between all 3 (about 30-40 minutes flight)

It was great, but the second time we went we drove between the places as there's some amazing things to see between them. Also didn't bother with LA the second time, wasn't impressed. The only thing in the LA area we went to was Six Flags Magic Mountain and stayed on the Queen Mary, did San Diego instead the second time, which we loved.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
The first time we went, we spent 4 days in San Francisco, 4 days in Vegas and then 6 days in LA. We flew between all 3 (about 30-40 minutes flight)

It was great, but the second time we went we drove between the places as there's some amazing things to see between them. Also didn't bother with LA the second time, wasn't impressed. The only thing in the LA area we went to was Six Flags Magic Mountain and stayed on the Queen Mary, did San Diego instead the second time, which we loved.
You sound a person after our own hearts.

We stayed a night on the Queen Mary and loved it.
We were mightily impressed with 6 flags, Valencia.
We would love to live in San Diego.
We would agree that there are some amazing places between the main cities, Monterey, PCH, Solvang, Pismo, Castle AFB, Madonna Inn, Reagan Library, Oceanside, Scripps aquarium etc etc etc .
As for the Vegas, Tucson, Winslow, Tombstone bit, we will find out next summer!

We didnt rate LA and Hollywood in the slightest and hated the congestion on the I5. We were unimpressed with Disney also.

The possibilities on the West Coast are simply endless. To us, the theme parks are just another option and no more than that.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:46 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have booked for next October and are concentrating on California this time as last couple of times we have done a whirlwind tour with Nevada and Arizona thrown in. This time its going to be a bit more laid back.
Fly into SF - 3 nights
Lake Tahoe - 3 nights
Yosemite np - 2 nights
? - 1 night
Death valley np - 1 night
San Diego - 4 nights
Fly out of SD.
With us I must admit the driving is as much a holiday as the destination.
We have done LA a couple of times now so we just debating where to spend another night.
Its easy to try and jam everything in though.
The planning is half the fun. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We enjoy wildlife so did a sea safari, whale watching, and kayaking while we were in Monterey. Some of the best things we did on that holiday. Plus you have the elephant seals down the PCH
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List