Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 Jan 21, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

I don’t know about the age thing - my Grandad took me to Florida when he was almost 70 and I was 13. He went on (and loved) pretty much everything, while I wimped out and looked after the bags! Got lots of home videos of him on all the biggest water slides too, while my limit was the lazy river 😂

I might use the age thing as my excuse when I ever get to go back though!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Over the last 15 years we have loved all rides but there seems to have come a time where rides like the Hulk and similar rides tend to throw your head around to much
Anyone else find this to be the case
Yes.

There used to be a time when I would happily go on most (all?) rollercoasters. Twenty years ago I went on all the rides in Orlando without any issues.

But nowadays some of the rollercoasters make me feel dizzy and unwell. For example, I went on Dragon Challenge just before they closed it and came off feeling a bit weird and needed a sit down for a while.

Regarding Hulk, have you been on it since they updated it? I know that it had become rougher over time but then I thought they'd made it smoother when they updated it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I've stopped riding RRR as few years ago, to start with I'd take painkillers before riding it as it was always give me a headache from banging my head around, finally decided it wasn't worth it!

Fine with everything else, I think it's the ride though rather than my age

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think there is an age component to it. When DH and I were in our 20s we could happily ride big rollercoasters all day long. Once we reached mid-30s we found one rollercoaster per day to be the limit! It's the going upside down that ruins me, I can happily ride Mako 2 or 3 times in a row. We do both tend to take Dramamine before going to Sea World, Busch or Universal which helps. I've heard it's an inner ear thing that makes you less tolerant to spinning etc as you get older - I don't know many adults that can spin around for ages like little kids do!
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

That’s interesting. I used to be able to go on anything over and over, but that’s steadily going. Having a child seemed to particularly affect mine. The worst experience I’ve had yet was actually space mountain at DLP, I had to have a sit down afterwards!
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Shutterbug
Excited about Disney

I'm pretty new to coasters, only started going on them when we first went to Orlando in 2012. I love The Mummy and do repeated single rider, took me ages to convince hubby he would be ok on it. We did RRR and it ruined the day for us as he got a migraine and felt ill for the rest of the day/night (it was the first ride of the day), I went back for a second ride! Everest we've done, he hates, I love it so he gets coffee while I run back round for another go. Not tried the Hulk but will do it at some point, he did on a prior trip and said never again. Don't really feel sick on rides but Rock N Rollercoaster shakes my head around a lot, if it wasn't Aerosmith, I wouldn't bother.

Looking at it, there's quite a few rides that my other half has dipped out of or won't go on but if I think it'll make him ill, its not worth the stress. Remember one trip, everest gave him a migraine, gave him some tablets and we went to dinoland and it seemed a good idea to do primeval whirl (we loved this) and I kept asking if he was ok and yes he still wanted to ride.

Bad move, migraine nausea hit and i had to run through the park for first aid while he collapsed in a corner with no shade! Eventually I managed to walk him through many air conditioned shops to the first aid station to sleep it off in the dark for an hour. Meanwhile I had a minor nervous breakdown, happened a few times over the years and a reason why I say never again to going (then give in and book!)

Had similar with Jimmy Fallon!

Sorry didn't mean to be a long one!
Shutterbug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
AliciaB
Earning More Ears

AliciaB's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I don't know about age as im only in my 20's but I always found that the Hulk was terrible for bashing your head! every time I go on it I end up with a headache for the rest of the day.

♥ Forever Dreaming of Mickey Shaped Snacks ♥
♥ Member Since O8 ♥
♥ Leah ♥
AliciaB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I am 50 and my ability to go on rollercoasters has not changed at all, although I have never been to Seaworld so not done their big coasters. I always make a point of keeping my head firmly back against the head rest on any ride.

Last time we went to Universal DH started to feel nauseous after Forbidden Journey and could only manage it once a day. We usually go on things a few times and he was gutted to find this change in himself.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I can go on most rollercoasters, its the flat rides, and simulators I can't do
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I think it's down to the age of the coaster itself.

I've been to Islands of Adventure a few times and I remember just prior to the Hulk refurb (maybe 2016 or so?) I went on the coaster, had a super shaky ride, and decided I wasn't going on it anymore that trip.

Then a year or two later, after the refurb (where they basically rebuilt the entire coaster in the exact same layout), I went on the Hulk again, and had a super smooth ride and loved it! And would happily go on it over and over again.

I find the coasters I tend to have issues with are the older ones. Possibly one of the worst culprits for me is Space Mountain at MK, which I would probably walk past even if it was a walk on...