Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Jan 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
LeedsDisneyGeek
Trying for More Ears

To add to it, even the standard rooms are starting to slip, last year we paid just under 10k for 11nts in Poly and the room was well below par. For the money it was very very basic.
LeedsDisneyGeek is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Why does there have to be perks to staying on site? Staying in Disney is the perk.

If they were giving away the finest blue crystal meth inside it couldn't be any more addictive to most of the people on here. So you'll just pay whatever they're asking and take whatever "perks" they are offering. Otherwise you're out of the game. Might as well just curl up and die.
I get where you are coming from but if you are going for two weeks are unlikely to spend every day in the WDW parks so you might want more comfort or facilities.

If you are not all consumed by the Mouse, then is that small room with a bit of theming really worth twice the cost of a better room a couple of miles away?

The 'perks' made it easier to justify the premium but as they have all but gone, to many people now, it just won't be worth the extra money to stay onsite.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BebeYorkshire
Apprentice Imagineer

We are currently booked for an on site stay in Sept, but will be amending to off site as without 60 days fast pass booking and extra magic hours, it isn't worth it to us. The proximity to the parks doesn't offset the extra expense involved, especially as we like a car so will have to pay resort parking.

For the same cost offsite I can have a much larger, better equipped room, with the only inconvenience being a short drive.
BebeYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think the only on-site hotels I’d consider worth the premium now would be BC/YC/BWI for walkable access to ECPCOT and the Studios , even then it’d depend on what the rates looked like compared with Swan and Dolphin with what is now almost equal benefits. (I’ve stayed at all of these before)
Much as I like Port Orleans without perks it becomes very expensive .
It was expensive even with the perks. I have never understood why people stay in those so called budget Disney properties when they can get far far more for far less off site. Unless you really want the full 24/7 Disney experience then it has never made any sense. I have stayed on property twice albeit many years ago when the kids were small and couldn't wait to leave that Disney bubble, it was just too much, but at the time the kids loved it and I'm glad I did it.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYandVEGAS
Trading Disney Pins

Agree - we were due to stay onsite at Disney in August for 8 days (All star music) before moving over to Universal for 5 days (cabana bay family suite) but due to current circumstances we have been able to move to 2022 and now for the same price have been able to book a 2 bed family suite with Volcano bay view at cabana bay. Rooms so much more spacious , grata view each morning to wake up to and All we miss out on now is the extra 30 mins early access and have a 25min drive each way to Disney, which is nothing!
DISNEYandVEGAS is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
It was expensive even with the perks. I have never understood why people stay in those so called budget Disney properties when they can get far far more for far less off site. Unless you really want the full 24/7 Disney experience then it has never made any sense. I have stayed on property twice albeit many years ago when the kids were small and couldn't wait to leave that Disney bubble, it was just too much, but at the time the kids loved it and I'm glad I did it.

Dave

Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk are deluxe resorts not “so called budget Disney properties”
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LeedsDisneyGeek View Post
My family and I have stayed at various Disney properties over the years (AKL, Beach Club, Poly, Wilderness Lodge) the perks of saying on site used to be make us want to stay onsite if that makes sense! but now it’s hard to justify the price and the perks as they now,

- charge for parking
- offer no free dining
- charge for magic bands
- no magical express
- no extra magic hours, (half an hour extra is essentially one or 2 rides tops.

Can anyone convince me that staying on site is beneficial or even a good deal?
The perks as you have listed them are all about personal preference. I rarely stay on site so I don't normally get any of those perks but I still go. When I stayed on site I didn't have to pay for parking but it wasn't a deal breaker then and it isn't now.
Old 21 Jan 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stardoman
Very Serious Dibber

We usually go to Orlando for 4 weeks and hire a villa as my husband doesn't cope well when we are all in one room. The last two times we've stayed at Disney for 5 nights as a holiday within our holiday. After the last time we felt it wasn't worth it and now the perks are even less. By the time you wait for the bus to take you to the parks or return you to the hotel it is just as quick to drive off-site and stay in a villa.
stardoman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LeedsDisneyGeek
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
The perks as you have listed them are all about personal preference. I rarely stay on site so I don't normally get any of those perks but I still go. When I stayed on site I didn't have to pay for parking but it wasn't a deal breaker then and it isn't now.
I think you’re missing the point, it essentially costs thousands of pounds extra to stay on site, and it used to be beneficial with the extra magic hours etc. But now the perks are going, I can’t see how Disney can justify the cost specially with rooms being as basic as they are.

It’s not the parking that’s the issue, it’s the constant changes being made resulting in charging for more things that used to be included in the price.
LeedsDisneyGeek is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

yes i agree OT...but i would extend even further and say "is it worth going to Disney now!
The magic has been slowly slipping away for me!, although i always end up rebooking!..Disney are so clever!
macdonald is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List