Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 10 Jul 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks so much - we are off to San Diego at Christmas! So looking forward to it now

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Fantastic and great pictures. Is that the Loews Hotel behind your son with the Hollywood picture? We're staying there next month.
Also, how many hours would you need at the Science museum. It's not on our plans but May need to see if we can squeeze it in.
Looking forward to reading about San Diego
Yes it is. We're staying there too. Great to get a peek.

You've really sold me on San Diego. We left it out of this trip because I'm in the minority but really looking forward to LA and have a huge to do list there. But after seeing your pics we both said we will do San Diego in 2018.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Amy will be pleased that you loved her home city so much.
I definitely AM pleased! I'm just now catching up on your trip report, Alien. I'm in the middle of a massive road trip to Seattle, so checking online whenever I get good service. This has been a fantastic read so far, and your photos are gorgeous!

I'm glad you put your foot down about doing what you wanted, but what a hassle it can be to travel with other people sometimes- been there, so I sympathize lol. I'm sorry about the disappointing fish tacos. They are a popular dish in San Diego and you'll find them done both ways, battered and grilled. It does really depend on where you go. Do you remember the name of the place in Old Town where you ate?

Enjoying your report, and as tocpe321 said, I really am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed San Diego and want to return. It looks like you also won over a couple of new converts too Btw, Seaport Village is due to be closed and redeveloped in the near future- maybe as soon as 2019- so everyone be sure to visit there while you can!

Edited at 05:28 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
I definitely AM pleased! I'm just now catching up on your trip report, Alien. I'm in the middle of a massive road trip to Seattle, so checking online whenever I get good service. This has been a fantastic read so far, and your photos are gorgeous!

I'm glad you put your foot down about doing what you wanted, but what a hassle it can be to travel with other people sometimes- been there, so I sympathize lol. I'm sorry about the disappointing fish tacos. They are a popular dish in San Diego and you'll find them done both ways, battered and grilled. It does really depend on where you go. Do you remember the name of the place in Old Town where you ate?

Enjoying your report, and as tocpe321 said, I really am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed San Diego and want to return. It looks like you also won over a couple of new converts too Btw, Seaport Village is due to be closed and redeveloped in the near future- maybe as soon as 2019- so everyone be sure to visit there while you can!
Amy

Hope you have a great trip.

Old 11 Jul 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Oh no, why would they close it? It's so nice! Will they keep the current theme I wonder?

Enjoy your trip. The boys keep repeating they want to go back to San Diego and people in my work are changing travel plans based on my raves!
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

San Diego Zoo

We arrived early and found parking easy. Parking was free. We had tickets purchased ahead and I recommend doing this if it's busy time as there were long waits for tickets. 3rd of July apparently was one of the busiest days of the year. It was also very hot. We did the bus tour first and there was good 30 minutes wait to get on it. There is one non stop tour and one with 4 stops hop and and off which we used later, and both are included in the tickets. The non stop tour was narrated and very good.

My DH said the zoo was underwhelming but honestly it was hot and busy and most animals were hiding. Perhaps different time of the year would be better. I let the kids decide what we do - meaning we end up doing the short 4D movie ice age (additional cost) and exploring few areas few times instead of the full park. I bought them some stretchy snake toys when we entered the park and they were more entertained with them than anything we sow in the zoo - great way to keep them entertained while waiting for things. I found prices inside reasonable, DH had to buy hat, I bought some cute jewelry for my niece.

We had fun day. I think we went in the zoo before 10 and we left at 3, had lunch, we sow good few animals without trying to see it all. The boys were after bears - as you can see from the pictures. Doing the bus tour first thing was good plan too.

Is it worth seeing - yes. Is it a must, not for me. We have good zoo in Dublin and we were members for years. It's not as big as San Diego, but if going for 4 days I would skip it next time. 5 or more I would consider it.

Lunch. I think I managed to take picture of every vegetable I ate and I missed all of the not so healthy stuff! I promise I did better job at Disneyland and have pictures off food that will make my doctor cry! Deep fried sandwiches and all

We passed by the panda section 3 times in hope to see them but this is as much as we managed to see. The wait to see them was 40 minutes the third time if you want front view... 40 minutes and they were not visible at all! We walked as we are leaving the second and third time and had a brief look on our way out, glad we didn't wait for front row view.

Next - Disneyland!

Edited at 09:29 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting.

Sorry the Zoo was a bit underwhelming.
Old 11 Jul 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Fantastic trip report so far. We also loved San Diego but like you did not have enough time. Thanks for sharing this with us. Love all the photos.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 03:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Amy

Hope you have a great trip.

Thank you! Halfway there now.

Alien, the Port of San Diego holds the lease for the land that Seaport Village sits on. When that lease expired, instead of renewing it with Seaport Village, the Port committee decided to hold a bidding war with other developers for a brand new complex there that would bring in more money for the city- I guess Seaport Village isn't a big enough moneymaker for them. When it happens, everything will go and a more modern complex of hotels and shops, maybe even an aquarium, will go in. Most locals here are very unhappy about this

It sounds like you still had a nice time at the zoo, even if you don't feel the need to go again.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Thanks for posting.

Sorry the Zoo was a bit underwhelming.
I think after the amazing day in San Diego my DH (who insisted seeing the zoo!) wished he have a beach day instead. We all had fun day, but we felt we want a lot more time in the city

It's a very good zoo! It's just hard to complete with being in one of the beach areas for example. I love a good beach, even if I don't suntan but just walk around and San Diego is the place to be for that type of thing