Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 11 Aug 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Before this turns into a *teacher rant* (good phrase Sarah161).

My comment wasn't about how teachers have long holidays and really short days, far from it. It was more a comment that loads of people work hard (and often not in a a career they chose, teachers did choose their career as they needed to do the pgce etc.) and it would be nice if occasionally everyone's hard work was recognised with discounts
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post

That's really good to hear 😄
Old 11 Aug 17, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post

I teach small groups of professionals (like 8-12 at a time). It's enjoyable and thoroughly rewarding, though I have to say for most of the next day I'm drained and good for nothing!

So if I'm often exhausted after teaching a small group of really smart people who want to learn, I can't imagine what must it be like to teach a class of 30 where some of them may be less able, or willing.

Well done all those teachers who are reading .

(PS Doubt I'm eligible for the discount so no vested interest.)

Edited at 08:00 AM.
Old 11 Aug 17, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sarahb161 View Post
Totally agree with this - as in America they also often have rates for military and other state workers.

And btw, I do think teachers are a little bit "special" and deserve the respect given by these companies. We work obscenely long hours, often going way beyond the call of duty for the benefit of the children we teach. I feel that a lot of my year is spent putting others families before my own, for very little financial reward at the end of each month! So what a lovely way to reward that commitment.

Sadly, many people who don't have an insight into teaching think it's all long holidays and early finishes ... it couldn't be further from the truth. It may be August and the school holidays, but guess what my two little girls will be doing today ... yep, they're spending the day at my school with me while I start getting the classroom ready. It's not the first and won't be the last day of the holidays that the three of us put in the extra hours!

So good on Hilton! (Teacher rant over )
Well said, and a small fact that people never mention is that teachers have to pay way over the odds every time they go on holiday-whether it's Florida or Center Parcs until they retire not just when there children are at school.
Good on you Hotel chains!👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Before this turns into a *teacher rant* (good phrase Sarah161).

My comment wasn't about how teachers have long holidays and really short days, far from it. It was more a comment that loads of people work hard (and often not in a a career they chose, teachers did choose their career as they needed to do the pgce etc.) and it would be nice if occasionally everyone's hard work was recognised with discounts
Funny how it's never an issue when it's nurses or military discounts
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by sarahb161 View Post
Hello! In case it's helpful to anyone, I have just booked a great rate at the Hilton Bonnet Creek using their "teacher appreciation" rate. It worked out about 30% less than their lowest available rate.
It can be used by teachers, or it appears, any staff who work in a school.

I emailed them to ask whether it applied to US schools only and they replied to say that as a U.K. Teacher I was "absolutely entitled to the special rate". So we are all booked - I just need to take my school ID badge with me for check-in.

Here is the link - hope it's helpful!
hiltonbonnetcreek/spe...r-appreciation
This is good to know. It's nice to feel appreciated.
Many places in Europe have a teacher discount, I'm sure I remember reading about a card that we can get that gives discount to many museums, galleries etc across Europe.
Old 11 Aug 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LawrenceFamily View Post
That's amazing! I wonder when Disney will do the same
Can't remember which but either the Swan or Dolphin did it from day one so if Disney haven't done it in nearly thirty years... I wouldn't hold your breath !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Well said, and a small fact that people never mention is that teachers have to pay way over the odds every time they go on holiday-whether it's Florida or Center Parcs until they retire not just when there children are at school.
Good on you Hotel chains!👍
Whilst I agree teachers do indeed work hard and do believe they are special, having worked both in the private sector and in education ... No one goes in teaching not knowing they can't have time off in term time , in the same way forces or medical staff know they will inevitably pull duties on Christmas at one point. It's a known factor. I don't really understand why anyone moans, you knew from day 1 .
On the topic of hours teachers grumble thatpeople think they work 9 til 3 with long holidays , they don't but many careers that teachers would assume is 9-5 as its office based in reality also involves working late, weekends when on project deadlines etc , but with only five or six weeks a year off and lets face it teachers who are expected to take work telephone calls from clients (parents) or their head whilst off on vacation are rare.
Having this conversation with two young graduate friends one who was teaching and one who was in an engineering/IT role. Both were expected to work extra to their contracted hours the number was almost identical the only difference was the spread. In term time the teacher worked more hours but less (not none) outside of term, the engineering IT woman worked less most weeks but more weekends and all nighters when rolling out projects and at tight deadlines but with much less vacation time. Over the year literally no difference.

Whilst teachers feel their hours are misunderstood I think equally they also underestimate what is involved in other graduate jobs too.

This isn't a slam at teachers just pointing out that sometimes they don't see the full picture either .

Edited at 09:07 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

What a great thing for the Hilton to offer! I have massive respect for teachers. I'm a recent graduate and up until last year I wanted to teach. After work experience placements in different schools I changed my mind. Long hours, hard work, little financial reward and of course super expensive holidays out of term time! I was also shocked at the impact of funding issues in certain schools. So teachers have my respect 100% and really deserve to be rewarded for the hard work they put in
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

That's good to know, thank you for sharing.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List