Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 11 Aug 17, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Have my foot in both camps ...
... having done a graduate job in financial services for 7 years ...
... and teaching professionals for 7 years since then.

I worked long hours in financial services, and as you say at times very long hours on projects ...
... but way longer hours teaching. I have found the demands of teaching slightly more heavygoing, and in the first few years much more heavygoing ...
... but more rewarding too.

So on balance, I would simply say the roles are very different, and people's skill sets are different, so comparing apples and oranges never really gives for a fair comparison.

Besides, we're going off topic - which was teacher appreciation, rather than teacher comparison!

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Whilst I agree teachers do indeed work hard and do believe they are special, having worked both in the private sector and in education ... No one goes in teaching not knowing they can't have time off in term time , in the same way forces or medical staff know they will inevitably pull duties on Christmas at one point. It's a known factor. I don't really understand why anyone moans, you knew from day 1 .
On the topic of hours teachers grumble thatpeople think they work 9 til 3 with long holidays , they don't but many careers that teachers would assume is 9-5 as its office based in reality also involves working late, weekends when on project deadlines etc , but with only five or six weeks a year off and lets face it teachers who are expected to take work telephone calls from clients (parents) or their head whilst off on vacation are rare.
Having this conversation with two young graduate friends one who was teaching and one who was in an engineering/IT role. Both were expected to work extra to their contracted hours the number was almost identical the only difference was the spread. In term time the teacher worked more hours but less (not none) outside of term, the engineering IT woman worked less most weeks but more weekends and all nighters when rolling out projects and at tight deadlines but with much less vacation time. Over the year literally no difference.

Whilst teachers feel their hours are misunderstood I think equally they also underestimate what is involved in other graduate jobs too.

This isn't a slam at teachers just pointing out that sometimes they don't see the full picture either .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

that is a really nice thing for the Hilton to do.

I'm not teacher bashing - not any other profession bashing. i am just glad someone is getting a discount (during term time or not).

It seems (not on here i might add) that a lot of people want to have a bit of a dig at someone else getting a better deal than them, we all know teachers that put in 100% and really do work all of the hours that is so widely discussed on theses type of threads - but i also know a few that coast... just put in the minimum, don't do any PTA or after school events. and for whatever the reason they do this year on year. i do not know their personal backgrounds and TBH i don't need to!

I work in industry, i have to travel every 6 weeks or so, out of the country, away from my family for a week at a time. I work in the office 8-4.30 but often am working between 8-11pm too as i work in a multi national company and need to be able to talk to all the corners of the globe. I can only have time off when it suits the department, and i have 2 school age children... should i get a discount too? maybe, maybe not...

but i am happy for those who get discounts, and publish them so others in their field of work can get them - and equally happy when people let others know of a glitch price or discount we can all use..
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

good spot anyone getting a discount these days is a good thing!

imo nurses/teachers/carers/the military deserve something back as they are all jobs someone has to do but i for one wouldnt even consider them & if everyone thought like me we'd be stuffed..

yes we all work hard/long hours etc etc but some jobs like the above take a special person imo

although an overworked IT bod discount would be good
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
good spot anyone getting a discount these days is a good thing!

imo nurses/teachers/carers/the military deserve something back as they are all jobs someone has to do but i for one wouldnt even consider them & if everyone thought like me we'd be stuffed..

yes we all work hard/long hours etc etc but some jobs like the above take a special person imo

although an overworked IT bod discount would be good
I'm pretty sure those of us who work in IT are knowledgeable enough to leverage every option available for discounts across the interwebs . I'd never say no to an extra discount though . This is good for teachers, I'd like to see the other professions you mentioned also get a discount as I think they are all under-appreciated.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
You can get 20% discount on Hilton in the U.K. too. It's available to all public sector workers - I found out about the code through a teacher Facebook page. Haven't personally used it but heard from others who have.
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hazel.searle View Post
You can get 20% discount on Hilton in the U.K. too. It's available to all public sector workers - I found out about the code through a teacher Facebook page. Haven't personally used it but heard from others who have.
This is interesting, I'm not on FB so is there anywhere else that the code is available?

I knew about the Swan Dolphin discount but the discount sometimes isn't always that great but certainly worth checking swandolphin/offers/teachers.html
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
disneybumble3
Proud to wear my Ears

Can this be used by TA's?

I'm a 1:1 ASD teaching assistant 99% of the time and a class TA the rest of the time.

Just wondering if the discount would apply for me.
disneybumble3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hazel.searle View Post
Really?!?
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

The code for the 30% discount is PR11PN I just tried it and seems to work
Old 11 Aug 17, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
This is interesting, I'm not on FB so is there anywhere else that the code is available?

I knew about the Swan Dolphin discount but the discount sometimes isn't always that great but certainly worth checking swandolphin/offers/teachers.html
Use code PR11PN