Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 23 Jul 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

'Downgrading' at Caribbean Beach Resort

Morning All,

Currently booked in at CBR for November. We have booked 3 pirate rooms (for the kids) and now worrying. Every time I see a photo of a refurbished CBR Standard Room I feel like we have made a mistake!

Has anyone 'downgraded' from a Pirate room to a Standard Room? Did the reduced room cost overcome any travel agency admin fees?

For reference, and in case someone has been in exactly this position, we are booked through Ocean Florida.

Cheers!
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Fee should be around £50pp if the rate goes down, you could compensate this by increasing your dining package. If your total package cost if higher, usually no fees.

Remember, standard rooms are queen beds and pirate rooms are smaller double beds. Not everyone realises that the beds are quiet a bit smaller.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

What refurbished rooms? I'm not aware of any new refurbishment to the rooms so they're the same as when you would have booked, as they were last refurbished in 2016. Unless I've missed something new?

The pirate rooms are normally quite a bit ore expensive than the standard ones, which means that your overall cost would go down. Disney's own charge for this is £50 per booking/room, not per person, so your TA is likely to pass that on to you, along with any of their own amendment fees.

Have you checked that there are 3 standard rooms available for your stay as everything seems pretty booked up? I needed a standard room for just 5 nights at the end of October/start of November and it took ages of daily searching for one to finally pop up.

Do your kids know that you've booked the pirate rooms? Are they excited about them? They are well themed for children, that's for sure. The area that they're in has a quiet pool and the Spyglasse Grille which gets good reviews for food. It's also well located for the Skyliner station. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the main pool and food court, depending on which block you're in, so maybe look at requesting one of the closer blocks if you do decide to stay put.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19

Edited at 10:27 AM.
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

We booked CBR direct with Disney when DDP was first released for 2020 and only pirate room available.
They (as far as I know) have only released standard rooms once since then, downgraded that day (saved £500 minus £50 amendment) and I've not seen std rooms available since, even on non-Disney TAs.

They're either waiting until a proportion of pirate rooms are filled, or they're fully booked already... :s
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Why did you select pirate rooms initially?
They look fun.
Have a think whether additional amendment charges to switch to standard rooms is a good deal for you.
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
moblies
Proud to wear my Ears

we booked thru ATD and they only had Pirate rooms available at the time but release other rooms so i checked back a day later and was £700 cheaper for the standard 5 sleep room. ATD changed it for us.
moblies is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Due to the building of Riviera CBR lost quite a few buildings of 'standard' rooms which equates to several hundred less of these, added to this is the excitement and convenience (?) of the skyliner that people knew was coming for fall this year. All of this makes those standard rooms much harder to get.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Glad I checked this. I never realised it was standard double beds. Thats not good. I never understand why Disney dont have pop up bunk beds in rooms to cater for families with 2 kids
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Thread resurrection!

Checked prices today to see about adding flights to our booking and noticed all room types appear to have been released...

Turns out there is another standard, without sleeper, I could have downgraded to which would have saved another £100. Might ask if I can upgrade to preferred and see if I can get them to apply the £50 amendment I already paid for messing us about with room availability...
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

We've just recently booked 3 pirate rooms with VH. They were the only rooms available.

I'm not sure that they are the right choice for our group. In one room will be DD, her partner, 22 month old and a 5 month old. It's going to be a squeeze if they need 2 cribs. VH said they'd request 1 x king for them. I've since done a bit of research and there aren't any king beds in this section. I know, I know, so should have researched beforehand 🤦🏻

If VH release some standard rooms, any recommendations what block I should be requesting? Please.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List