Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 11, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Prige
Very Serious Dibber

Hope virgin have sorted you out now. If not, take lots of pictures of the issues you are unhappy with. We had a similar situation with thomson last year, made complaints while we were there but got no joy. We wrote to them on return and got £1300 compensation.

Just a note on the pool, may be worth you comparing it to your neighbours and surrounding villas, most are about the same size.

Try and enjoy the holiday anyway. You probably won't spend all that much time there anyway.

Prige is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 11, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Tiggernut View Post
I'm a little bit confused as to what you mean by the comment I highlighted...we stayed in a Dibb villa on the Manors at West Haven last year (as well as back in 2007) and it is fantastic (Hi Steve - 'notgrumpy' ). Your comment is very derogatory towards West Haven imho - we love the area and would be back there again if someone else hadn't got Steve's villa first! I'd hate for people to be put off choosing villa's on West Haven becasue they are 'no where near a comparison to Emerald Island'.

My point was if you have booked EI ,guarded gated resort, clubhouse, concierge ,Gym etc you wont get what you are expecting at West Haven. I am not saying West Haven isn,t a very nice resort ... it is but Virgin shouldn't be offering it as like for like. That is all. Also the OP stated It is not the same ! We also do not know what part of West Haven she is on?
Hi arrived Monday to a villa at west have, 4 bed with pool heat. feel very disappointed considering it is meant to be on par with emerald island, and is clearly not ...
I trust you are no longer confused.

Edited at 08:39 PM.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 11, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ppdon
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by scoobyz2312 View Post
Hi arrived Monday to a villa at west have, 4 bed with pool heat. feel very disappointed considering it is meant to be on par with emerald island, and is clearly not :,( the pool is so small, its leaking. And the villa is very basic. I complained and asked to be moved but I am still waiting. Virgin use contempo to look after their villas and they say they have no villas to move me to. I will never book a package holiday with virgin again. Their customer service is awful
I would'nt book a villa through virgin again either, very basic villa, dirty outdoor furniture not even a welcome pack, an irish guy called kevin came and had to turn on the pool filters and clean the roaches out of the shower and hoover dirt from around the villa he said he would be back today to clean the outdoor furniture but he never turned up, all that should have been done before our arrival, i have also complained and have been told they have no villas available to be moved to, i even asked to be upgraded and i would pay the difference but still nothing available, i would'nt book a villa through virgin ever again.
2019 Hudson FL

Edited at 02:35 AM.
ppdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 11, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobyz2312
Apprentice Imagineer

scoobyz2312's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi tried contempo, but guess what? No luck at all. I emailed a virgin rep, but no reply. It was booked as a superior villa, same range as emerald island. Dirty small pool compared to neighbours. Road noise is keeping us awake :,( tv's don't work in other bedrooms. Very very basic. I always book independently but thought as a treat we would book all singing dancing virgin ...guess what! Never ever again. Can't even use the spa at night because the water goes down too low? Contempo are shocking as far as I am concerned. They just say sorry but no availability anywhere, maybe I should try to book somewhere with them and see if they are lying? X. sorry to sound like a nag and go on and on! X
Old 22 Jul 11, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobyz2312
Apprentice Imagineer

scoobyz2312's Reviews
Hi tried contempo, but guess what? No luck at all. I emailed a virgin rep, but no reply. It was booked as a superior villa, same range as emerald island. Dirty small pool compared to neighbours. Road noise is keeping us awake :,( tv's don't work in other bedrooms. Very very basic. I always book independently but thought as a treat we would book all singing dancing virgin ...guess what! Never ever again. Can't even use the spa at night because the water goes down too low? Contempo are shocking as far as I am concerned. They just say sorry but no availability anywhere, maybe I should try to book somewhere with them and see if they are lying? X. sorry to sound like a nag and go on and on! X
Old 22 Jul 11, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post

There is a great deal of dfifference between various communities and it surely is always better to be able to choose yourself rather than being reliant on a third party to place you somewhere.
Apart from that there is always a difference between individual villas. i have often heard it said that one 5 bedroom villa is like another so why is one dearer than the next. The answer is simple. Some villa owners do not visit their properties, do not spend much money updating or maintaining it, are struggling to get bookings and are on the verge of going under. Other villa owners visit regularly, continue to update and improve their homes, have a hands on approach to their guests and as a result do far better at renting out.
Dibb villa owners do care about their homes. This is not saying that you will not find a villa through another site where the owner has the same ethos but here I feel that you can almost guarantee it to be so.
Personally I take a great deal of time ensuring that our guests always get a home that is extremely luxurious and welcoming for what I term the discerning guests. In other words you pay your money and take your choice. If you were basically looking for a villa where you could rest your head at night then you would not choose our home.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 11, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Frontal
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 1
I think that the main issue is that people still trust the Virgin/TCD/TC brand, and presume that they will get the best value for money by using them. Infact they can be regarded as a "one stop shop" or in other terms "Jack of all trades but master of none".

I think that when it comes to the quality of the villas being offered by the TO's we have all seen enough comments to put you off using them for a lifetime.

So then the question pops up why are people using them? The answer is probably assumed savings, but after a small ammount of reasearch of costing up a DIY holiday comprised of a high quality Dibb villa, scheduled flights and car hire, the price for an average group of 8 was coming in at over £2000 in savings!

The calculation looks like this:

I made a booking for 8 adults for 14 nights, from the 1st of October 2011, this was for a 5 bedroom on HR. The price including flights was £8583.
There was an option not to include a car (which made life easier for me).

The price quoted included a 10% online booking discount.

At the same time, I went to the VA website and requested a flight for the same amount of days. This came to £6576.

From this we can see that the price of accommodation comes to £2007, it is probably more, as VH probably get a discount on the flights, but I do not know how much (10-15% maybe)

Translated into dollars, this equates to $3110 for a 14 night stay (in off season) in an AOA villa on a named community.

This leads to the conclusion that Virgin holidays are really ripping off the people, especially if you add the VA VH discount (probably circa $3400 for the 14 nights).
Old 22 Jul 11, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post

We've booked villas through Virgin for our last three holidays and again for our next. The one time we decided to choose an area rather than go AoA we ended up in a villa that the owners had put up for sale and stripped down to the bare essentials.

The other times we have ended up in gorgeous villas in Florida Pines (booked as a Standard villa) and Calabay Parc (booked as a Superior villa). Based on our own experience we have no reason to believe we won't be happy with next year's villa.

Whilst I can understand the OP's disappointment, it should be noted that Virgin state in their brochure:

"Our Superior Villas are located in various developments including but not exclusive to West Haven, Windwood Bay, Calabay Parc and Tuscan Hills"

No direct reference to Emerald Island, and looking at the time we're away next year the guide price for a Superior AoA is £782.00 pp, whilst Emerald Island is £974.00 pp.

Do we expect Virgin to meet the advertised description for their villas? Yes.

Do we expect to get one of the most expensive and exclusive villas for the reduced cost of an AoA? No.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 11, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobyz2312
Apprentice Imagineer

scoobyz2312's Reviews
Here is an upDATE virgin asked us to pay £1500 extra! Due to no availability here I obviously refused and we are now at the hands of virgin. It I guess I Sony hold my breath!
Old 22 Jul 11, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

would I be correct to assume that you are on Kilidrummy Drive on the Santuary?
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread