Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Aug 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Jan, I’m just trying to think back. My son went to Boreatton and I don’t remember him taking a sleeping bag. In fact I seem to remember him saying that they had to put their own duvet covers on and make their beds when they arrived. I might be wrong but it may be worth you giving them a quick ring to check before you buy a sleeping bag.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post

It depends what the Friend's mother has arranged. You either get linen or take a sleeping bag and a pillow.

Edited at 10:31 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

My dd went to caythorpe court pgl with her school last year and had an amazing time! She totally surpassed all her (and my) expectations and really threw herself into it.
We bought some cheap leggings and joggers from primark along with some tshirts and long sleeve tops (think they were like £1.80 each and the joggers were £3).
I bought her a couple of light fleeces second hand off eBay (paid £1.50 +postage for two) and a nice lightweight regatta rain coat from eBay for (99p +postage).
She also took a spare pair of trainers, suncream, a towel, a “nicer” set of clothes for evening disco (I think she just took jeans and a jumper), toiletries, sun hat, all the usual things.
DD didn’t need to bring bedding - depending on where they are stopping it may or may not be provided. A phone call might help clarify that.
I’m sure he’ll have a fantastic time! X

ETA - I just found this kit list for when DD went

Edited at 10:32 AM.
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Would second he cheap clothes that can be binned. They get wrecked. Mine have taken sleeping bags or duvets, they preferred the duvets.
There is usually not much space under the beds so soft bags are better than cases.
Last year sent loads of sun cream, extension socket, took phones and were popular with the chargers.
Tuck shop seemed pricy, mine took £5 a day and ran out, they dont drink pop but said Hariboes cost the world...
I always go and see the rooms.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Well, I am sad to say that both boys hated it. They were continually harassed by other boys. I think that DGS suffers from this sort of thing more than average as, at 13, he is 5’ 11” tall and is good looking and half Thai and half English. So he does stand out a bit! But even the instructors were being targeted for sort of racism, as a lot of them came from Sweden etc. I did think that most of them seemed really young and I wondered when I saw them if they had the experience to take charge of kids not many years their junior!

Both boys said the food was awful. Even the pizzas were awful!

They couldn’t get to bed much before midnight and had to get up at 7am. That is not enough sleep. DGS has eleven hours sleep here. There were five boys in his room, two x 2 and one boy on his own. He did a fair bit of crying. I feel so sorry for him.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Oh my goodness. I am so.sorry he hates this experience. Do you think that once the tiredness wears off that he might be able to find some positives in it? New experiences, physical challenges etc? Or just feels it was rotten through and through.

I am also extremely sorry if he experienced any form of racism, PGL have a complete non tolerance for that sort of behaviour and I am sure would be interested in hearing about his experiences if he felt able to share. Especially if he felt that the groupies were sighted on it and did nothing about it.

The friend's mother, as the arranger will receive an email seeking feedback, on an auto collection form, or I am sure they would much rather he spoke to them and explained so that they could apologise to him, get to the bottom.of it and ensure it doesn't happen to others. One of my dd's had a problem with bullying many years ago, and they put a stop to it within a day. Very efficient.

I hope he has an opportunity to rest and relax now and spend some time with you before he heads back home.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List