Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jan 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

But you want to add 2 1/2 hours extra flight time in economy and several extra hours in airport departures just to be able to fly Business. And I would rather fly 8 hours long haul economy than 2.5 hours in short haul extra cramped economy.

I understand you want to fly Business, so wait a few days for the return dates to appear on Aerlingus Dub-Mco (currently 28th - 8th for 5767 Euro). Similar price but cuts out a load of hassle and transfers and you get pre clearence.

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
why on earth would I want to fly economy? this maybe somthing you do, but not for me. Did economy once, the first time to the USA and I vowed never again.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
But its manchester!.
The travel can be much more that 1 and a half hours, you only need one crash and teh whle motorway falls apart.

To LHR and LGW I can get a train route, Manchester is bloomin awful to get to by any other for of transport than Car/Bus.
Each to their own! I prefer one flight rather than 3. The hours spent waiting around for each flight are far in excess of the driving time, plus the faffing with security!
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Each to their own! I prefer one flight rather than 3. The hours spent waiting around for each flight are far in excess of the driving time, plus the faffing with security!

As I said in part of an earlier post - every member of the DIBB has different requirements for their travel and there is no right or wrong about how you chose to travel as it is all down to personal preference,
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
As I said in part of an earlier post - every member of the DIBB has different requirements for their travel and there is no right or wrong about how you chose to travel as it is all down to personal preference,
Yeh thanks. I said it as well by saying each to their own. As far as I can see nobody has said it's wrong, just whether there were better options.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Example.
Flights from Dublin to Orlando via Gatwick are cheaper than direct flights from Gatwick to Orlando.

So you buy a flight from an airport to Dublin and then separately buy Dublin to Orlando via Gatwick.

It can strangely sometimes save a lot of money.
A-ha - thank you for this!
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
No not stupid at all. It's a quirk of the system that sometimes the flights originating at a third point, in Dublin in particular, can be cheaper. Esp for high classes of travel, and ask Warkman has pointed out, for business class the savings are considerable.
Thank you too - I didn’t see your response before!
Old 14 Jan 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
The luggage pickup works going via London in this way but my question was more about airlines imposing penalties on those who did it. I don't know if they do, there was talk of it, but perhaps not.
What you are talking about is what the airlines call Hidden City Ticketing. In theory you are breaching the airline T&Cs by not flying all the sectors. US carriers are currently much more aggressive about pursuing people for this, by repricing the booking to the correct fare.

If you book direct with the airline, the only way in the UK that the airline could get the extra money from you would be to take you to court. To date, no airline in the UK has shown appetite for suing a member of the public for this (the press would have some fun with the explanation in court of why it's more expensive to fly London-Orlando than Dublin-London-Orlando).

The main other way to attack someone who booked direct would be via their frequent flyer account, if they have one. The airline needs no outside authority to remove status and/or miles. This is more likely to happen to repeat "offenders", since there are many reasons why someone might legitimately drop the last sector on a one-off basis.

Bookings made via travel agents are a bit different, since the airlines can easily bill the travel agents via IATA billing procedures, so they are a soft target. There are recorded cases in the UK of travel agents being billed for repeat cases of this, though not known if those agents tried and/or succeeded in recovering the cost from their clients.

So in summary, if you book direct with the airline and don't do it very often, the chances of any sanctions in the UK are currently negligible, especially if you don't have a significant frequent flyer account to worry about.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
What you are talking about is what the airlines call Hidden City Ticketing. In theory you are breaching the airline T&Cs by not flying all the sectors. US carriers are currently much more aggressive about pursuing people for this, by repricing the booking to the correct fare.

If you book direct with the airline, the only way in the UK that the airline could get the extra money from you would be to take you to court. To date, no airline in the UK has shown appetite for suing a member of the public for this (the press would have some fun with the explanation in court of why it's more expensive to fly London-Orlando than Dublin-London-Orlando).

The main other way to attack someone who booked direct would be via their frequent flyer account, if they have one. The airline needs no outside authority to remove status and/or miles. This is more likely to happen to repeat "offenders", since there are many reasons why someone might legitimately drop the last sector on a one-off basis.

Bookings made via travel agents are a bit different, since the airlines can easily bill the travel agents via IATA billing procedures, so they are a soft target. There are recorded cases in the UK of travel agents being billed for repeat cases of this, though not known if those agents tried and/or succeeded in recovering the cost from their clients.

So in summary, if you book direct with the airline and don't do it very often, the chances of any sanctions in the UK are currently negligible, especially if you don't have a significant frequent flyer account to worry about.
Thanks Peko. Very helpful.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
On the topic of hidden ticketting , Lufthansa did take someone to court last year in Germany and lost. They appealed and again lost. They decided not to go to the European court, for obvious reasons. So it is legal in Germany and the airlines cannot do anything about it. I'd be very surprised if any airline would now try it in any European country as they do not want it to become general knowledge its allowed.

As for repricing if you missd the last leg, I'm sure that would fall foul of contract law. Yes they do say in T&C they reserve the right to reprice, but unless they make it very clear that it could cost you thousands more etc they would fall foul of a clear and fair contract.

And putting the Ireland hop in perspective. I likeD to think of it as doing a day trip to Dublin the day before my Florida trip saving me thousands. Easily done by having an overnight in London. Dublin day trip with hand luggage only , then check luggage in next day at LGW for MCO. I lookED at it as a day drip to Dublin and than a non-stop the next day to Orlando.

And often the multi-city starting in Dublin, but ending in London is often not much different than going back to Dublin and stops needing to drop that leg.

Also, on that topic, why come back to the UK when its easier to clear customs in Dublin and then go via a US stop-off point?

Unfortunately the great Dublin prices where business in summer holidays was cheaper than economy from the UK are long gone (since IAG aquired Aer Lingus - what a coincidence), but as Walkman58 says still can give bargains, although his did seem a little high to me, over some of the prices I've seen from there for next year.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
But you want to add 2 1/2 hours extra flight time in economy and several extra hours in airport departures just to be able to fly Business. And I would rather fly 8 hours long haul economy than 2.5 hours in short haul extra cramped economy.

I understand you want to fly Business, so wait a few days for the return dates to appear on Aerlingus Dub-Mco (currently 28th - 8th for 5767 Euro). Similar price but cuts out a load of hassle and transfers and you get pre clearence.
As I said gefore, my holiday includes tge airport, I lije airports, I like airport lounges, the only flight may be the DUB-LGW flight in economy and that’s only 1 hour..
I will watch flighrs from LHR-DUB-MCO, but these currently are £7,500 compared to £4,500

I prefer 8 hours across the pond in comfort than 8 hours in cramped economy.

But, each to their own

My original point,which seens to have been missed, is play around with your dates, as it can be a big price difference
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 08:56 PM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List