Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jan 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by gpb View Post
I agree and the only fact is no one has been refused entry because they failed to disclose their middle name, at worst you may get an extra question at security!

People like to try and un-nerve people and it is simply not fair. We have been twice since this change and have gained entry no problem at all, without our middle names.

If there were a change of policy it would national headlines and plenty of warning would be given. Don't stress about it.
To be fair I dont think it's about dibbers scaring others- I think it's about pragmatism and trying to prove they are right (without any evidence- so far- that missing the middle names on their esta.

I suspect that if someone is denied entry due to missing a middle name it will take about 10ms for the first I told you so" thread to appear on a forum

I do contribute to the esta threads to offer my experience. But I agree they get repetitive and I often unsubscribe.
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

For me, leaving everything aside, it is knowing I have done whats asked.

No more, no less.

Disney332
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
This thread is like a Waltzer.
There's a real easy answer, simply get off.

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
For me, leaving everything aside, it is knowing I have done what's asked.

No more, no less.

Disney332
Nail and head D332, irrespective of all views, it's what the DHS demand.
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
There's a real easy answer, simply get off.

Nail and head D332, irrespective of all views, it's what the DHS demand.
But if you don't put your middle name on the application and this differs from your passport you still get approved.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tim17 View Post
But if you don't put your middle name on the application and this differs from your passport you still get approved.
And irrespective of everything else, you have failed to do whats asked. No more no less.

Disney332
Old 31 Jan 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
And irrespective of everything else, you have failed to do whats asked. No more no less.

Disney332
Absolutely correct and it makes no difference to getting an approved ESTA which is all the DHS, airlines and the individual are bothered about.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gpb View Post
I agree and the only fact is no one has been refused entry because they failed to disclose their middle name, at worst you may get an extra question at security!

People like to try and un-nerve people and it is simply not fair. We have been twice since this change and have gained entry no problem at all, without our middle names.

If there were a change of policy it would national headlines and plenty of warning would be given. Don't stress about it.
Yourself and Mr Fish earlier have both claimed to state as fact, that nobody has been refused entry for their name not matching their passport exactly. That's not a fact, it's only to the best of your knowledge. It's notoriously difficult to prove a negative.

Nobody is trying to prove themselves right...They are right. The rules are there. ESTA requires middle names. If somebody says the speed limit is 30, they are factually right because it is. If somebody else claims the real speed limit is about 34 ish because that's when they start to enforce it, are they wrong or right... the fact is both are right. One technically and one pragmatically.

I also don't think anybody suggesting people get their official documents correct is doing it because they like to cause others to worry. They are doing it because they themselves like to be correct and feel gambling with the US authorities is not the wisest of moves given their reputation for sympathy. Others are saying I did 35 and nobody complained, so don't worry.

My personal stance is that I'd expect people to be told their ESTA is wrong, but will be let in "just this once" for a few years before they get strict, but the the fact is they could simply enforce tomorrow, just as you could get had for driving at 31, even though it too would be unexpected.

If I already had an approved (technically incorrect) ESTA in place, I wouldn't be replacing it, but I certainly wouldn't be telling others they don't need to be correct when completing theirs.
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

This is not about entry into the US, it's about airlines not allowing you to check-in for your flight because the name on your approved ESTA doesn't tally exactly with that on your passport.
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tim17 View Post
This is not about entry into the US, it's about airlines not allowing you to check-in for your flight because the name on your approved ESTA doesn't tally exactly with that on your passport.
I’ve never experienced that issue
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I really wish the mods would close these topics after the first page to prevent all the nonsense.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List