Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
alansmed
Proud to wear my Ears

Virgin charging more to make my own way from the airport?

Odd one but when I'm running through a booking with virgin holidays, they are going to charge me an extra £25 to make my own way from the airport(magical express) rather than rent a car with them.
Sounds very strange but what if I just kept the car on the booking but just didn't collect it?
Has anyone else ever had this on their booking?
alansmed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I've done a few dummy bookings and got this every time. Why on earth should it cost us more to make our own way. However the last dummy one I did actually took the price off.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
alansmed
Proud to wear my Ears

Just doesn't make sense. We are 3 adults and a toddler, when I do a booking for 2 adults instead of 3, the price reduces slightly to make our own way. But add an extra adult on and they are charing me extra to refuse a car. I know its only £25 but that can go towards some Mickey Pretzels instead
alansmed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Just leave the car on the booking but don’t collect it. We have done that several times.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
alansmed
Proud to wear my Ears

That's great Jan thanks, was hoping that would be the case.
Just didn't want to not collect the car and then get chased for some daft non-collection fee or something similar.
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Is it more expensive as without the car it no longer falls into being a "package", which tends to have a discount applied to the booking?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
alansmed
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Is it more expensive as without the car it no longer falls into being a "package", which tends to have a discount applied to the booking?
I don't think so because if I amend the booking to 2 adults instead of 3, the price slightly reduces when I remove the car as oppose to increasing.
Something about adding a 3rd adult onto my booking makes them want to charge me to make our own way from the airport. Bizarre.
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

From the Blind Guess drawer

The price with a car includes their commission from the car hire company. By removing the car, you're cutting the total payment they receive. It's probably affecting the margin at a higher level, perhaps the per person margin needs to be adjusted up when the third person is added.

As toonarmani says above, you do often see "save money by booking a package" banners, this is cleary the reverse.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

When you remove the car, does it become a flight only booking or is it still a package with something else (eg accommodation, tickets)?
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Jon&Emz
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This has happened for years, I remember it also happening on Travel City Direct.

As has been said; go for whatever cheaper, be it a car or transfer, and just don't collect / turn up for it.

Jon&Emz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List