Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 19, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

My hubby’s family (very working class) have always sat at the dining table for their evening meal and my MIL and FIL bought us a lovely dining table and chairs as our housewarming gift ten years ago so the tradition could continue.

We always eat our evening meal together at the table and it’s a lovely time to sit together and chat about our day. We don't have a TV in the kitchen/diner on purpose and don’t use our phones at the table but we’ll have music on as background noise.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
She's going to be wild when she gets to 18 and realises it isn't the norm
At about 10 years old my sister picked up a funny phrase from having tea at her friends house and our family continued to use it “please can I get down from the table?”

I still have old-school manners and don’t start eating until everyone at the table has their meal and don’t leave (unless I excuse myself for the bathroom) until everyone has finished.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Almost always at the table. We have snacky meals in the living room but I find it pretty hard to eat a proper meal on my lap.

I think it’s important to sit at a table together at least a few times a week.

We used to have a really small kitchen table in our last house which we used more than the dining table. I’d have to squeeze a table in somewhere no matter how small our house.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
gasp0de
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Always table, unless my back is playing up when I'm more comfortable on the sofa.
gasp0de is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 05:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Tbone
slightly serious Dibber

Tbone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

In our flat always TV dinners, since we’ve been in the house always at the table and weekends we always eat dinner together
Tbone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

We always ate at the table until a few years ago. OH had moved in and eats his meals on his lap in the lounge, then my DDs grew up and work shifts so they come and go at different times. More often than not, they’ll sort out their own meals now. I still eat at the table on my own. I can’t be eating from a tray on my lap as it gives me indigestion, slumped over like that. I’m not perfect though, I have my iPad on a stand and read my book while I’m eating
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Dining room table unless having a takeaway the we have a tray in lounge
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
At about 10 years old my sister picked up a funny phrase from having tea at her friends house and our family continued to use it “please can I get down from the table?”

I still have old-school manners and don’t start eating until everyone at the table has their meal and don’t leave (unless I excuse myself for the bathroom) until everyone has finished.
That's not a funny phrase, it's how we've always asked to leave the table!

We now have a mixture of dining table (60's house so lounger/diner) with TV off or lazy meal in front of TV. When kids were both at home it was always at the table.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Always eat at a table - either outside on my verandah in this weather or inside - TV off (but wireless on if I am dining alone )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Dining room table for all meals tv off, can be seen from table anyway

with the possible exception of a saturday night takeway in front of the tv
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List