Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

Mobile Does couch to 5k work?

I’m going to give this a go - I’ve done my first session today and found it hard enough to be a real challenge but not so hard that it has put me off. BUT I still don’t think that I’ll ever be fit enough to run for 5k - anyone got any inspiring stories for me 🏃🏻 😊
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I started it last year and I’m definitely not a runner. I found running for 60 seconds hard to begin with. I worked my way up to be able to run 3x 8 minute stunts which was a massive accomplishment for me. I stopped doing it after that though as it got too hard and I should really have carried it on as I think I’d struggle again now with 60 seconds, but I just got bored and couldn’t get over it.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes it work. Someone at my SW did it 2 years ago and this year ran the London marathon.

Personally I tried, found week 4 hard so repeated week 3 but then injured myself and didn't go back.

Check in your local area for council organised C25K or Parkrun. I found running with someone else, even strangers helped keep me going.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I did it a couple of years ago, hadn't run in about 30 odd years, a bit overweight and definitely not a spring chicken! I never thought I'd be able to run 5k. I wouldn't say I could run it at the end but I could definitely jog it and it does work. First few runs I thought I'll never do this but it is surprising how it builds up.

I was inspired to do it as my grandson was born with a major heart defect and was fighting through the first of many operations. I thought if he could fight, least I could do was look after mine, so I could be around to see him grow up

I do a few weeks of it every now and again now but as I'm getting older find my joints don't like it as much so like to go for long walks instead.

Its a fantastic feeling when you get to the last week and I felt a real sense of achievement.

Good luck and go for it!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
TORIMS
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I did C25K a few years ago and it was good, did a few park runs etc. but stopped running and was back at square one.

However, 10 weeks ago I joined a beginners running course locally to me (Fareham, Hampshire), and it is one of the best things I have ever done. It was an 8 week course finishing with a 5km Graduation Park Run, which we did last week 👏👏👏
I have now joined the main running club where we run a minimum of once a week, but a few of us from our beginners group go to the main group on a Monday, run another shorter run in the week and then Park run on a Saturday.

The beginners course did not follow the format of C25K but taught us the fundamentals for running, but also taught us not to run too fast, which I found I was doing with C25K. It has been so good for me, I could wax lyrical about it all day 😉

Just to say...I am overweight and unfit, so if you had have told me 10wks ago that I would be running a minimum of 2 x 5kms a week, I’d have laughed out load, but I am!

Good on you for getting out there and giving it a go! Thats the hardest part!

Vicki x

Apr 1998 Rodeway Inn International drive
Oct 2000 Quality Inn Anahiem, Navy lodge Coranado & The Rio Las Vegas
Apr 2005 Formosa Gardens & Toronto
Dec 2007 Newport Bay DLP
Feb 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Aug 2014 2 weeks SSR (1 night HRH)
TORIMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes it works! I have completed it three times if not more, I always sabotage myself and stop exercising so my fitness goes. The best time I was up to running 5km in 27 mins. I hate running but it definitely works for me, you'd be amazed how it builds.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Beccleberry
Excited about Disney

Yes it works

I too joined a running group to do it, and now run twice week!

Two years ago I couldn't even run for 30 seconds, now I can run for 50!
Beccleberry is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

I start week 8 this week, it definitely works if you stick at it
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It totally works, I started it last September having never run in my life before and as a slightly overweight person in their late 50's wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it. I did find it tough going, the first week was just 60 seconds of walking with 60 seconds of running (I think) 8 times and I had to push myself to do it. Like you said, it was hard but not impossible. Each week brought a new challenge but I always felt they were achievable, even if I was knackered afterwards but each week there was an improvement. I totally dreaded the week where I had to run for 20 minutes straight but that was mental more than physical and I was delighted with myself when I did it.

I graduated in December and have been doing consolidation runs 3 times a week ever since and I actually enjoy them. My personal best 5k is 32.45 which I'm happy to try and keep improving and I'm just back today from a 40m run at a slower pace. Some advice I'd give you is to take the pace slowly, to start with it's more about the actual running rather than how fast you do it so don't go too fast as you'll just exhaust yourself and also risk injury. Also have a look at the Health Unlocked C25K forum, I found that really helpful healthunlocked/couchto5k

Keep us updated with your journey

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Yes. At age 51 and never having run in my life I managed to complete it last year. My hips are not too clever so I haven’t run since but I’m so happy I managed to get to the end.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List