Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jul 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile Eric - Update !

Long story - sorry I just need to get it off my chest ! Needless to say, I’m more stressed than he is, little s%d.

I mentioned about 4 weeks ago that he had a tiny cut to one of his a##l glands.

Vet said it’s a fistula and since then I’ve been bathing it, applying anti-biotic cream and then sudocrem 3 times a day.

It’s still not healed although the flesh is clean, pink & healthy, not necrotic at all.

The main issue is it’s upset his toileting routine - very few No.2’s (Sorry TMI!). He’s constipated and off his food - probably too bunged up. I’ve tried puppy pads in his litter tray in case the litter irritates the wound but no go. Only an occasional ‘skiddie’ on the carpet 😱😱

So far only enemas have worked but I can’t take him to the vet every day at £40 each time 😱.

She’s given him a bottle of liquid paraffin and I managed to squirt it into his mouth just now, fingers crossed it works. He’s not eating as well as usual, I suppose because he’s ‘bunged up’.

Also he flatly refuses to take his antibiotic pills OR the 5 pills he’s been taking for the past 2 years.

I’ve tried hiding them in his favourite food which he won’t take, using a pill popper to push them into his mouth and just holding his mouth open and dropping them in. This morning I found 3 of the 6 on the floor - he waited until I went to bed then spat them out !

So, that’s where we are - he seems happy enough, quiet but comfy and alert. Losing weight because he’s not eating well.

I’m worried, putting on weight because I’m comfort eating.

Surgery is out of the question due to his age (nearly 22) and he’s always had a heart murmur.

The vet has implied very gently that this might be the beginning of the end for him.

I’ve got to be realistic - he’s had a fabulous life (who wouldn’t, living with me !) and I’ve enjoyed every minute.

Obviously I don’t want him to suffer, I just hope that I will know for certain when the time comes to let him go. The vet says I WILL know, hope she’s right.

So here we are. I’m sad but I will manage ok. He will leave a big hole in my life. Thanks for listening. I promise to let you know.

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Oh Linda sorry to here he’s not in the pink
Yes you will know when it’s time to do the right thing for Eric
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Does he like cheese ?
I have to grind up medication to powder make a ball of soft cheese and conceal the powder in it .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Morning Linda xx Poor old Eric, sounds like old age is taking hold bless him, when the time comes I think the vets right you will know, he still sounds like he's got a fair bit of fiesty in him at minute if he's spitting his tablets out behind your back. Fingers crossed the liquid parrafin works cos £40 an emema is shocking but unsurprising for a vets, they certainly know how to charge. We all love our pets dont we, it takes it toll on our wellbeing too, have lots of cuddles and fusses with Eric, lots of love to you both xx
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh Linda, so sorry to hear that. Have you tried Katalax? It is made of soft paraffin which ‘helps things along’ and cats normally love the taste. We had a very elderly Siamese that suffered from constipation and we used to give him this along with a little tuna in sunflower oil. Again, the oil helps get things moving. Hope this helps, poor little love, you must be so worried about him x
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh Linda I'm so sorry to read this, but it all sounds very calm, painless and gentle, I am sure you will know if and when intervention is necessary.
Thinking of you. X
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Does he like cheese ?
I have to grind up medication to powder make a ball of soft cheese and conceal the powder in it .
He’s been taking the pills wrapped in Dairylea for 2 years but all of a sudden he won’t eat it !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Oh Linda, so sorry to hear that. Have you tried Katalax? It is made of soft paraffin which ‘helps things along’ and cats normally love the taste. We had a very elderly Siamese that suffered from constipation and we used to give him this along with a little tuna in sunflower oil. Again, the oil helps get things moving. Hope this helps, poor little love, you must be so worried about him x
I’ve tried tins of tuna, sardines and mackerel in olive oil and sunflower oil. A tin of salmon which I rinsed (salt) and then mashed with olive oil. Failed !

If the liquid paraffin doesn’t work I’ll ask the vet about Katalax thank you. X
Old 2 Jul 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

He certainly still is feisty & strong.
This is how he gets his revenge when I try to give him the pills. Little devil !

Old 2 Jul 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I’m so sorry to read this news about Eric. He’s sounds like he’s had a brilliant life being spoilt. I hope he does start eating again and fully recover though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List