Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
We had a nice week in Tenerife back in April and visited the amazing Siam Park ( water park). Everything was so cheap compared to Orlando - £1 for kids drink £2 for Coke £4 for beer. £25 for meal for 4. Still prefer Orlando but to say the prices are similar to Europe is comical
That would depend on where you go and what you spend your money on.
My previous choices, Rome, Sorrento, Western Cyprus in the Pissouri area, Croatia and similar have all risen considerably in recent years. They are expensive.
Comparing Tenerife (Playa, Christianos and Adeje) to the major European cities is a little like comparing Orlando (cheapish due to oversupply of food and accommodation), with Boston. Even the gulf coast and panhandle cost a good deal more than Orlando.

In Tenerife, I accept that food and alcohol are cheap.I have been there several times. I can assure you though, that they are not cheap in the locations I listed and visit.

It’s a question of what you are looking for.

Edited at 05:26 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
We had a nice week in Tenerife back in April and visited the amazing Siam Park ( water park). Everything was so cheap compared to Orlando - £1 for kids drink £2 for Coke £4 for beer. £25 for meal for 4. Still prefer Orlando but to say the prices are similar to Europe is comical
Where in Florida would a meal for 4 cost £25, you couldn't even get it that cheap in McDonalds out there.

Funny enough last week we booked a week in mainland Spain for next year for me and the wife, and it felt like loose change compared to Florida. We have a 2 bedroom duplex appartment on the beach (we know exactly where it is and the area), BA flights from Heathrow (which is nearby) and Avis car hire. That came to almost exactly a grand.

Bearing in mind we could have got cheaper flights even with BA, but we wanted decent afternoon times, and we could have got a cheaper apartment, but we wanted a nice one with a great view/location (and probably cheaper car hire).

Looking online at the local restaurant prices we know, it will be cheaper than Florida eating out.

I appreciate they are very different holidays, but on the plus side we won't suffer with the dreaded jetlag we do going to/from Florida. Plus mainland Spain has better weather than Florida.

Edited at 05:33 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

The dollar never really put us off as I hardly spend much anyway so the last 2 visits we didn’t need a car so no petrol and parking charges also been on the QSDP and the resort mug we don’t spend much Money in the park.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
It's interesting that some people will continue going as long as they 'can afford it,' whereas I can afford it, but don't think it's worth the increased cost to go every year. That isn't a criticism, more of an observation because what people do with their money is their choice.
We are very very fortunate to have been able to go every year for as long as I can remember, but for the first time iam questioning whether to go next year. It,s one silly thing that has peeved me so much that has made me seriously look elsewhere and that is the rate the parking charges are increasing, now I can afford it but I think $25 a day to park a car anywere regardless of the exchange rate is just taking the michael,
Old 21 Jul 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Just won’t spend as much as we usually do in the Outlets
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

nope I get paid in Euro.

Old 21 Jul 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
As for outlet shopping, they are outlets. Their prices should be compared with those at UK outlets such as Clark’s village and TK Max, rather than Oxford St. other than Levi’s and similar, we don’t buy much.
For this I beg to differ.

I bought 4 pair of CK trousers for 23$ each I didn't have to hunt through rack on rack like at TK maxx to find the odd pair I easily found my size on the rack. I also had 2 assistants help me which is never done in tk maxx. There is no way i could afford CK trousers/jeans for sub £20 in the UK. Also in Belgium we have sales in Tommy and also in Ireland and sweaters are reduced from 90 to 60€ in America I can easily pick my colour and size for 35$.

If you can find better scrawling through the racks at TK Maxx good for you...

I can't be borthered and it will take a very low rate to stop me outlet shopping

Edited at 10:47 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Personally, it hasn't changed our plans. Not that I'm aware of anyway. It does however mean that our holiday will cost a bit more.

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
I am genuinely surprised that this is even a factor for people.

I honestly budget in English. I don’t even look at the exchange rate, if something is $85 we just look at us as £85 and treat it as that. So we put money away in English and just see what that’s gives us at the end. It doesn’t factor for us at all.
I think it's that a chunk of the holiday will now cost more because things like hotels, tickets, car hire, spends will all be bought locally in dollars, even if you pay for them on a UK website in pounds. Therefore, a hotel's nightly rate will currently cost more in pounds due to the poor exchange rate than it did back in, say, 2015 (without taking into account inflation).

So although people aren't looking at the exchange rate, they will be affected because the cost of the holiday will be more. This increased cost may therefore make people change their plans. They may stay at a cheaper offsite hotel rather than stay onsite. They may decide not to visit one set of parks to keep the ticket costs down. Or they may have decided to delay their next trip so that they can save a bit more.

It doesn't just affect spends when you're over there.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:14 AM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

We don’t not go
But we adjust what we do there
Like we don’t shop half as much etc
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I'm fortunate in that I'm insulated from a lot of the changes for my next Orlando trip.

I don't hire a car so parking increases don't affect me.
I booked our accommodation/flights through TC before this recent debacle. Prices have only gone up since I booked.
I purchased $1500 at 1.295 as I wanted to hedge my bets RE: Brexit. If I'd forseen the tory leadership civil war/total shambles coming I'd have bought more.

Really the only big increases that affect me are tickets.

However, I'd been looking at the Med for my next big trip post-2020 (primarily Malta.) Last time we went we got 1.20, time before that 1.40(!) so anything less than 1.10 is a kick in the teeth. Just hoping something happens in 2020 that changes things. Can't see it happening as yet, political establishment has committed to driving the economy off a cliff.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List