Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Rejecting a car on finance

So DH treated himself to a 4 year old car on finance in Feb however it's been back 3 times for repair, the last time was 3 weeks for a new head gasket, clutch and other problems, he picked it up on Thursday and we're just waiting for the rac as it's now losing water. Dh is thinking of rejecting the car but I don't feel this is going to be easy, do you have any experience of this? It's causing so much stress. The car was from carbase
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Not the same scenario but my brother recently had double glazing fitted and not long after the company went bust. There are some issues with a couple of the windows and because he took out finance, the finance company are getting quotes to get it rectified as apparently there is some ruling that means he can get it sorted through them as goods not fit for purpose.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Even though the car is 4 years old it might have some manufacturers warranty left, or at least a dealer warranty. The fact that it might be under warranty should help, but you’d do well to look up your rights as clearly the car isn’t fit for purpose.

Keep us posted, it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

No although I am in a similar situation without finance. We have had our car just coming to 18 months and since the day I drove it home there has been ongoing issues with something the garage cannot seem to fix. It must have been back 10 plus times and due back again next week.

If not fixed next week I am selling the car and putting it down as a bad experience. We paid cash though for a 15 month old car, I think we would have been in a better position of handing it back if we paid finance.
Old 22 Jul 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I have no advice sorry.

However this post intrigued me ref customers rights and I found this. Maybe worth a read. Best of luck.

thecarexpert/rejecting-a-car/

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

I am the same as mr.Tom.
I always find Martin money savers pages help in many circumstances.
Hope you get things sorted.

Edited at 08:03 AM.
lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Thank you for the link Mr Tom, it was an interesting read. The car is going back in the garage at 9am tomorrow, let's see what happens this time.
Sadly the situation is now making me and dh argue over it and we also have to go to Birmingham tomorrow for ds graduation.
This is the first time we've bought anything on finance, not sure we'd do it again.

Edited at 05:43 PM.
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
Even though the car is 4 years old it might have some manufacturers warranty left, or at least a dealer warranty. The fact that it might be under warranty should help, but you’d do well to look up your rights as clearly the car isn’t fit for purpose.

Keep us posted, it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.
The car is out of the 3 month warranty however carbase have replaced the head gasket and clutch as a "goodwill gesture "
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

As the car is on finance you'll be covered under sec 75 cca, just like a credit card purchase the finance company are equally liable
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

Do you have legal advice included in either your house or car insurance? I found them so useful when I had to return a car that the manufacturer wouldn’t repair faults as the previous owner hadn’t serviced the car correctly, even though the book was stamped (oil and filters were still the originals and never changed)