Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jul 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Extra baggage cost on BA/AA codeshare?

I've finally booked my flights to Orlando for later this year! Booked with British Airways, and flying a mix of BA flights operated by BA, and BA codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.

On the way home I'll be flying a BA codeshare flight operated by AA from Orlando to Miami, then a BA flight from Miami to Heathrow, then a BA flight from Heathrow to Singapore. I have one piece of baggage included in the fare.

What I can't figure out is how much extra baggage is going to cost me! I would expect that on check in at Orlando my bags should be checked through all the way to Singapore, so I would only be paying for extra baggage once.

Would I be - paying the AA extra baggage fare for domestic US plus the BA extra baggage fare for Miami-Heathrow-Singapore? Or paying the AA extra baggage fare for transatlantic? Or just the BA extra baggage fare for World Traveller?

Wondering if anyone has flown a similar route (e.g. domestic AA then transferring to a BA flight to get from the US to UK) and has any experience?

Edited at 06:23 PM.
sky13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

We paid the BA baggage charge and just the once! That got the luggage to our final destination even though we had AA on the domestic leg.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tb2tb2
Getting Excited

Mobile

I have booked with BA from Heathrow to New York ( ba flight) and New York to Miami with ba but in AA plane and back from Miami with BA . My bags were included just one each person. If you have your booking scroll down to near the bottom and it tells you the extra luggage prices alternative ring BA for a definite answer . Good luck
Tb2tb2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
We paid the BA baggage charge and just the once! That got the luggage to our final destination even though we had AA on the domestic leg.
Originally Posted by Tb2tb2 View Post
I have booked with BA from Heathrow to New York ( ba flight) and New York to Miami with ba but in AA plane and back from Miami with BA . My bags were included just one each person. If you have your booking scroll down to near the bottom and it tells you the extra luggage prices alternative ring BA for a definite answer . Good luck
Thanks! I've emailed BA and AA but no idea if they'll reply or if they'll be able to give me an answer...

The frustrating thing about the whole thing is that the BA website and my booking tells me the exact cost for adding an extra bag on the outward journey (presumably as the first flight is operated by BA), but I won't need an extra bag on this journey! Instead I'll need it for the return journey - but as the first flight is operated by AA, BA just says "check with partner airline"...
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Yiurvallowance is normally based on the longest leg of your journey and the airline which is actually flying those legs
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Yiurvallowance is normally based on the longest leg of your journey and the airline which is actually flying those legs
So yes I think that generally applies to the free baggage included in the airfare, but wasn't sure how it worked if I wanted to purchase an extra item of baggage. Would be great if this was the case though since I think BA's rates are marginally cheaper than AA's rates for long haul extra baggage!
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Not for flights to/from the USA. The checked baggage allowance is determined by the “First Marketing Carrier”, ie the airline under whose flight number the first flight on the ticket is sold.

That airline may choose to apply its own allowance or the allowance of another carrier on the ticket, but the allowance determined will apply to all sectors on the ticket.

For the OP, this probably isn’t relevant, since I don’t think the regulation in question covers extra baggage. I’m far from certain, but I would imagine that unless you can book extra baggage in advance via BA, on the return you’d have to do it with AA on check-in, and presumably AA charges would apply for that.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List