Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jul 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

When do I start worrying?

We are due to fly from LHR with BA on the 6th August. This is set to be strike action for LHR staff and now the first possible strike action day for BA pilots. Our problem is we have only 2 weeks to go, we cant get a refund from BA until the days and flights impacted are confirmed but when that will be they don't know. We can't afford to book more flights without a refund.
If BA do strike on the day we are supposed to fly, looking at flights right now they are significantly more expensive even at the cheapest it's around 300 more per person (there's 5 of us). Is there any chance we'll see prices drop or will they just go up with airlines knowing BA customers will need to rebook.
We also have car hire booked with BA, anyone know if we will be able to keep this booking? The cost of a 7 sester with Avis will be massively more expensive now too. Looking at the overall cost of rebooking it could cost us £2000 more minimum which after a dreadful 6 months we would struggle massively.
This whole thing sucks right now, we are supposed to be getting excited but right now I'm filled with dread and don't know what to do for the best.
If anyone has any advice or knowledge of what potentially we can do it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Tx
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well I wouldn't cancel let them rebook or make alternative arrangements IF it happens. We fly the 8th LGW to TPA. So concerned it will have an impact.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Until they announce the BA strike dates (if it happens) then don't panic. If it is just LHR then I would suggest just ensure you are there with lots and lots of time to spare as it will still be running just slower.
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

It rubbish isn't it. I'm worried that we are doing indirect which might affect our options, I just hate the unknown so close to departure, if we had even a few more weeks I could manage it better but to me it's just too close!
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We fly on the 8th Heathrow to Miami. I’m trying to think positive, so I’m not worrying yet. Tbh what will be will be, so worrying isn’t going to change anything. We have a flight booked at 7am for the morning after we land in Miami, going to Salt Lake City and booked separately with Delta. If we miss that then I’m afraid we might lose our money. I’m trying to check with our insurance as we speak.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by RobandLynsey View Post
Until they announce the BA strike dates (if it happens) then don't panic. If it is just LHR then I would suggest just ensure you are there with lots and lots of time to spare as it will still be running just slower.
Our flights 1pm-ish and we're staying overnight so I could relax being close to the airport, looks like that was for the best so we can be there early if our flight goes ahead.
We don't have the best of luck, 2005 dh got food poisoning on our wedding day, 2015 I got vertigo, 2016 ds had chicken pox. It'd be great to have 1 year with less excitement!
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m flying the 6th also man-lhr-Mia I’m really scared and worried there are 7 of us so no way I can afford to get different flights. I’m just going to wait and see what happens nothing else I can do. I have everything crossed.
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
It rubbish isn't it. I'm worried that we are doing indirect which might affect our options, I just hate the unknown so close to departure, if we had even a few more weeks I could manage it better but to me it's just too close!
You would be very unlucky to get affected with BA they would literally have to announce it tomorrow to be able to affect you. Us on the other hand could easily be affected as we don't go until the 19th.
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
We fly on the 8th Heathrow to Miami. I’m trying to think positive, so I’m not worrying yet. Tbh what will be will be, so worrying isn’t going to change anything. We have a flight booked at 7am for the morning after we land in Miami, going to Salt Lake City and booked separately with Delta. If we miss that then I’m afraid we might lose our money. I’m trying to check with our insurance as we speak.
I really hope your not affected! It would be dreadful to lose your Salt Lake City trip and the money.

It's not do much that I'm worried it's more that it's out of my control and I can't do anything proactive to fix it. It's frustration for me at the moment, I'm not s patient person 😬
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
Our flights 1pm-ish and we're staying overnight so I could relax being close to the airport, looks like that was for the best so we can be there early if our flight goes ahead.
We don't have the best of luck, 2005 dh got food poisoning on our wedding day, 2015 I got vertigo, 2016 ds had chicken pox. It'd be great to have 1 year with less excitement!
I can relate we are the same, this year has been particularly trying with this, my father is not well at all and the wife's father had a fall last week. I'm sure someone is trying to stop us going!