Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States - Day 8

26th October 2017

So the time had come to leave Washington. We had really enjoyed our stay here and were left wanting more and would definitely come back.

After our usual breakfast of bagels and Lucky Charms we finished packing and checked out. The Holiday Inn had been great, lovely hotel with a pool not that we’d had chance to use it with such a packed itinerary .

We set off and arrived at our first stop of the day Great Falls National Park in Virginia about a 30min drive away. It was actually nice to start seeing Countryside again after days in the city.

This is a very small National Park and you can park very close to the Great Falls of the Potomac and there are a few points to view them from. They were impressive

We were the only people there although this was about 10am so pretty early. It was also a bit chilly today so we have jumpers on for the first time

The area is subject to flooding apparently

But we were fine and after about an hour with a trip to the gift shop and rest rooms we were on our way again.
We had stocked up at the local Target the day before with staples of our American road trips.

This caused us a second glance

By 12 o clock we needed a break and luckily we just happened to be near the Premium Outlets at Hagerstown. It would have been rude not to pop in.

The guys headed for Subway I headed for BBW and The Children’s Place both had sales and I had a voucher for BBW which meant I picked up some half price accessories and a free gift. Got some great tops for the boys and a thick varsity type jacket fro CP.
all suitable refreshed one way or another we got back in the car and passed lots more lovely scenery
through Pennsylvania. Success on a state sign wasn’t much of this I’m afraid

About 4.30 we got to Punxsutawney. We’d introduced the boys to the delights of Groundhog Day shortly before departure and they were really excited to see that this was a real thing.
It was all about Phil

A small town not much to it apart from a rather cute groundhog.
Souvenirs bought we headed to the burrrow

Phil was asleep sadly so we didn’t disturb him

Then it was a short drive to DuBois for the night. Close by was a Walmart so further stocking up was undertaken whilst admiring the Halloween goodies.

Home for the night was the Homewood Suites which had been refurbed and was very nice if a little out the way. We’d only paid about £50 so was an absolute bargain.The boys were gutted to hear the pool want open but we had a free dinner there with wine and beer which was a welcome change. Nothing exciting but it was nice actually not having to make a decision about what and where to eat. No pics surprisingly but I know we had m n ms for dessert!
Then I headed for a quick shop at the local mall which was a 10 min walk away. Youngest son accompanied me and we made a few purchases at the TJ Maxx store and Dollartree
Then it was back to the hotel for an early night for a change. There was a real nip in the air up here and it felt so much fresher and cleaner.

Steps a paltry 9,348

States
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
Pennsylvania

Index

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:40 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Another busy day with some lovely scenery!

Will tomorrow be a groundhog day ?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Falls look amazing. How fun to look around the real Groundhog day town. For a travel day it sounds like you had a good time.

Ha ha Mel...Let's hope they don't have to do it over again tomorrow!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List