Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
another daft question

do you have to inform someone (council? ) your child wont be attending mainstream school ?
If your child is in school. You need to send the school a deregistration letter and the school remove them from the register and inform the LEA

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Liah123
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

another daft question

do you have to inform someone (council? ) your child wont be attending mainstream school ?
Not a daft question at all! You don’t have to inform anyone but if you have deregistered from a school then the local learning authority will know where the child is. There are no set guidelines as such, you just have to provide an education suitable for the child’s ability etc.

It’s an amazing thing for us, though if my little one asked to go to school then I would let her go! It only works if we are both enjoying it and she is getting enough from it!
Liah123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

on the back of this just reading my daughters schools ofsted report, they were in last week

over the last 2 years 20* children have left to be educated at home

i had no idea it was so popular

*although its not clear if they had been excluded?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

on the back of this just reading my daughters schools ofsted report, they were in last week

over the last 2 years 20* children have left to be educated at home

i had no idea it was so popular

*although its not clear if they had been excluded?
Home Ed numbers have been increasing rapidly over the last few years.
Excluded children wouldn't be included in home ed statistics unless they have been formally deregistered.
It's a fact though that many schools have been 'off loading ' children to up their league tables. X
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Purplefrog View Post
Home Ed numbers have been increasing rapidly over the last few years.
Excluded children wouldn't be included in home ed statistics unless they have been formally deregistered.
It's a fact though that many schools have been 'off loading ' children to up their league tables. X
i suspect its this...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Liah123
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Originally Posted by wobblywibbly View Post
we are starting to home educate our children as well (son 6 daughter 1), my Son currently goes to a private school. we get the keys to our first house on Friday (been renting 12 years together). new house is a detached farmstead with loads of outbuildings and space and best of all no neighbours. my partner has been collecting and reading everything on the subject for a good year now... we are in the local FB groups for N Lincolnshire where we are moving to. we have a dedicated room for the home school. big decision esp as the school he is in is the best pre-prep and prep school in the country according to the TES. I think it will be rewarding for both my son and partner being able to learn through whatever interest them rather than rote learning.
This is so awesome! It is an amazing lifestyle perhaps when you get settled we could connect the kids as pen pals!
Liah123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DickyP
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

My comment is aimed at DofE but it’s amazing that DofE are happy for children to be educated for their entire childhood with potentially parents with inadequate skills but it’s the end of the world if a child in mainstream education misses a single day!
DickyP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Liah123
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

Originally Posted by DickyP View Post
My comment is aimed at DofE but it’s amazing that DofE are happy for children to be educated for their entire childhood with potentially parents with inadequate skills but it’s the end of the world if a child in mainstream education misses a single day!
It’s a strange one isn’t it! The learning authorities do check on the progress and education philosophies of home educated children, if they are aware of them, so any concerns can be addressed that way. Of course many home educating parents don’t deliver the same education that a child would get in school, so cannot he measured on the same scale! I remember when I was young, I had 1 visit from the learning authorities and they said that they would only check on me once a year, yet when I was in school, my mum was threatened with fines if I had a single day off!
Old 21 Jun 19, 05:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Tbone
slightly serious Dibber

Tbone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’ve considered the idea for our 3 year old little girl because I struggle with the idea that one education system is suitable for every child. However my child already looks longingly at the older children going to school and wants to go now and cries when I tell her she can’t yet so I don’t feel I could keep her at home. It’s interesting to read that it’s more common place than I thought
Tbone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
slightly serious Dibber

Some children thrive in school and some don't. Every child is an individual.
I think most people would be surprised how many home educated children there are in the UK. It's not really something you tend to think about is it ?
I come from a schooling profession and would have never believed that I would be doing it myself. Xx